WISC 2009 - Venting Thread Topic

Quote: Originally posted by just4me on 8/23/2009There's also a work around based on individual settings for getting your pitcher to hit as the DH in DH leagues... in the $140m league I likely would have went that route instead of not drafting a DH at all if the tiers didn't preventing me from getting the good pitching/good hitting pitchers I like using...
Care to elaborate?
8/26/2009 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wetwillytwo on 8/26/2009
Quote: Originally posted by just4me on 8/23/2009There's also a work around based on individual settings for getting your pitcher to hit as the DH in DH leagues... in the $140m league I likely would have went that route instead of not drafting a DH at all if the tiers didn't preventing me from getting the good pitching/good hitting pitchers I like using...
Care to elaborate?

Once your "primary" DH and any DH options from your hierarchy are below their autorest setting, Sparky will plug a pitcher in as DH. This was discovered in a HR based theme league with DH where Johan Santana started getting starts at DH.

I've tested it twice since, and for me the easiest way to do it was to draft $200k scrubs like Sid Bream as the DH and then other similar hitters on the bench. Sparky will look the hierarchy and then to your bench to fill in for the tired DH* after Bream gets below 99 autorest and plug in who he thinks is your best hitting pitcher as the starting DH.

*I think Sparky looks to your whole bench first, but I could be wrong and it might just look only at your hierarchy, so you could just not put anyone else on the hierarchy to test that. I don't play in many DH leagues, so... it's been a couple of months.
8/27/2009 6:40 PM
Wow, that's impressive. Thanks man.
8/27/2009 9:23 PM
Overall, I'm 14 games under .500 in 1-run games. Only one team of the six has a winning record in such games.
8/28/2009 3:17 AM
you won 3 straight one-runners in the 90 mil league off me!
8/28/2009 9:57 AM
...we're plus 28 overall in 1 run games...even my worst team is plus...i take this as something that should start to even out over time and thus a bad sign...
8/28/2009 10:24 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By mildnhazy on 8/28/2009you won 3 straight one-runners in the 90 mil league off me!
Bless me, so I did. I hadn't noticed, being too busy lamenting my $100M losing 6 in a row by a total of 8 runs around the same time. The 3 straight over mildnhazy brought that team's record in one-runners to 8-10, so I hope that's the beginning of the evening out that JohnGPF foresees for us all.
8/28/2009 11:59 AM
...at about the 1/3 mark:

70 mil:
Hopes - A wild card spot.
20% mark - 16-13, tied for 1st.
Current - 29-22, 1st place by 4.
What's going on - Still among the worst in the theme at hitting HRs, but no longer far and away the worst. If we can keep the HR improvement up, we should be ok.

80 mil:
Hopes - A playoff spot.
20% mark - 17-15, 2nd place 1 game off the WC pace.
Current - 29-25, 2nd place both 1 game out of 1st and 1 off the WC pace.
What's going on - Pitching has picked up, but the team just can't put it together. Fortunately, only 1 team in the league seems to be very good so far.

90 mil:
Hopes - Division title.
20% mark - 21-11, in first by 2.
Current - 35-19, in first by 3.
What's going on - Offence picking up to the mediocre level; great pitching/defence. Got the WC leader in my division, so I'm still feeling good about the team even though it's closer than I expected, since I expected a lot from these guys.

100 mil:
Hopes - Playoff spot.
20% mark - 20-12, in first by 7.
Current - 33-21, in first by 9.
What's going on - Performnace slipping after a fast start, but my opponents haven't been able to put anything together yet.

120 mil:
Hopes - Not too far below .500.
20% mark - 16-16, 1 game out of 1st, 2 out the WC.
Current - 24-30, 5 out of 1st, playoff hopes fading into the distance.
What's going on - The horrendous offence and defence are dragging the fine pitching down into the depths. The doubles experiment is going great though. We have 6 more doubles than the next best team in our league with 150 fewer hits. As best as I can tell, we have the best doubles rate of any team in this theme. Woo effin' hoo.

140 mil:
Hopes - Playoff spot.
20% mark - 21-11, in first by 2.
Current - 36-18, in first by 5.
What's going on - This has just turned into a fatigue management league. Too bad.
8/28/2009 9:44 PM
finally, my first 6-0 of the WISC season! (and 11-1 overall...it's a beautiful thing to see all those Ws)
8/29/2009 3:31 PM
I'll follow john's lead, and formatting:

70 mil:
Hopes - A playoff spot.
20% mark - 18-14, 1st by 2 games.
Current - 33-24, 1st place by 2.
What's going on - Team is among the better teams in the tourney at hitting HRs... some players are hitting more than I expected and others less, I'm sure that will balance out by seasons end. Nolan Ryan is only starter getting it done regularly. Vance and Guidry are disappointing. Liddell is doing better than I'd hoped and is hitting well, 2nd best record on the team. I need Vance and Guidry to step up and meet expectations of them if I'm going to continue to win and stay ahead in my division.

80 mil:
Hopes - A playoff spot.
20% mark - 20-12, 1st by 5.
Current - 34-23, 1st by 3.
What's going on - A good mix of both hitters and pitchers playing well and underperforming. I'd like to see Sutton and my pen start pitching well and Ferguson get his AVG up... otherwise, I just hope they can keep playing like they have so far.

90 mil:
Hopes - A playoff spot.
20% mark - 15-17, 3rd place and 4GB.
Current - 31-26, 2nd and 2GB, 1GB of WC.
What's going on - Offense is finally coming around. Conine and White still underperforming, but pitchers are starting to get decisions. Example: Maddux was 0-2 after 9 starts, is now 3-3 after 15.

100 mil:
Hopes - .500 record.
20% mark - 14-18, 3rd 5GB.
Current - 25-32, 3rd 6GB.
What's going on - My worst fears about the era seem to be hitting hard. Koufax and Drysdale are both severely underperforming, as are many of hitters, Carty, Menke, Jones, Alou... I need some players to start hitting and Koufax and Drysdale to pitch like $13m pitchers.

120 mil:
Hopes - not being the worst in theme.
20% mark - 12-20, worst in league.
Current - 18-39, worst in league, 1 game up on worst in theme.
What's going on - These high cap teams are always what keep me out of the top 24. This team sucks, but has the added pleasure of also having had to deal with massive pitcher fatigue. We're back on track fatigue-wise, but we've still lost 9 straight despite having fresh pitchers. I feel like I have guys underperforming, even for the cap, but... I'm in trouble here...

140 mil:
Hopes - Playoff spot.
20% mark - 17-15, in first by 2.
Current - 29-28, in first by 6.
What's going on - I haven't had to do any juggling, yet... starters are still fresh for the next outing, and always seem to have just enough RPs fresh to get just enough fresh the next game. One extra inning game away from having to deal with juggling pitchers and fatigue. Am only doing well because of a weak division and some lucky breaks. If I can avoid or manage fatigue, I should take my weak division as fatigue seems to be rampant.

Take out my worst team ($120m) and I go from a .497 W% and 50th overall to a .533 W% and 19th overall.

And just to make the point, since I hadn't yet this year... my records are a good example and argument for adding in say a $40, 50 or 60m cap in the first round sometime... those high cap leagues (above $100m) are just a total crapshoot for me and some other low cap players... I don't play that high except for here. It'd be fun to see some of the regular $120-180m guys venture down to $60m or even $40m sometime... :)
8/29/2009 7:19 PM
Well, we did have a 60M theme last year (round 2). Of course, being one of those who can't stand anything under 80M, I'm perfectly happy with the higher caps....but I can see your point. There's a good case for throwing in a lower cap in round 1.
8/29/2009 8:38 PM
Well, made it back to .500 at 174-174. I'm pretty happy with that considering my track record and the caliber of competition here. None of my teams is really good or awful, pretty much all hovering at the .500 mark so there probably won't be any playoffs for me.
8/30/2009 8:27 AM
AACK! How can all of my teams be in freefall at the same time. I was like 20 games over .500 and in just a few days I'm now under. What did I ever do to **** off the SIM gods?
8/30/2009 8:01 PM
Anybody know this elonsmitty character (thid place overall as I write this)? Says here that he's yet to win a champsionship and that 207 of his 737 career wins are in this here Championship tournament. We also have profcake in the top 10 despite starting the tournament with fewer than 1000 lifetime wins.
8/31/2009 2:35 AM
...holy crap! what a weekend...the SIM gods must not like it when you ignore virtual reality in favor of real reality...
8/31/2009 9:45 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
WISC 2009 - Venting Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.