Keeper World Discussion Thread Topic

Although I will say that I like the mechanics of it, and the end result would be better, if everyone complied.
1/10/2015 5:47 PM
No, it's actually very simple.

R5 draft comes.   You check the draft order to make sure everyone is at 20 or less.   1 page.
You open up the trade screen and check "status".    Sort by "signed thru".    Anyone signed beyond current season should either be on the BL roster or have a waiver status as "pending". 

That said, it's your world.   My suggestion allows the bottom of the world to move closer to the middle in a fair, even way.  And it works with mchales' suggestion.  Doesn't interfere with it in any way.    Allowing WW claims to process the entire pre-season give #1 a big advantage over the rest of the bottom.  
1/10/2015 5:52 PM
I guess I'm still thinking limiting all owners to only 2 WW pick-ups before Spring Training might be better than banning WW claims altogether. I'd be ok with it either way. Everything else sounds good to me.
1/10/2015 6:07 PM
I'm with bjschumacher here the better solution is to limit the number of successful claims a team can make. 3 overall would be one successful claim a day which would limit that advantage and still maintain the importance of the waiver wire as a team building tool.
1/10/2015 6:25 PM

The problem with WW claims, after the #1 guy, is you don't know if they're successful until 2 days later.    So you're limiting the bottom even more.    On Day 1, #2 makes 2 claims.   On Day 2, he can make 1 more in order to ensure he doesn't go over three.   They process at 3 AM on Day 2, he is awarded 0 claims as #1 claimed all 3.    Now, of course, he knows his claims on Day 3 and Day 4 will be successful but it's possible that the best players have already been processed.    It's a guessing game.

And that's the last I'll say on WW claims unless there's a question.    I'm not in the world so it has no effect on me.

1/10/2015 6:32 PM
I am with bj. 2 before ST makes you think before taking the best on the wire that day. Adds strategy to the ww
1/10/2015 6:33 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/10/2015 6:32:00 PM (view original):

The problem with WW claims, after the #1 guy, is you don't know if they're successful until 2 days later.    So you're limiting the bottom even more.    On Day 1, #2 makes 2 claims.   On Day 2, he can make 1 more in order to ensure he doesn't go over three.   They process at 3 AM on Day 2, he is awarded 0 claims as #1 claimed all 3.    Now, of course, he knows his claims on Day 3 and Day 4 will be successful but it's possible that the best players have already been processed.    It's a guessing game.

And that's the last I'll say on WW claims unless there's a question.    I'm not in the world so it has no effect on me.

But by Day 3 some new players may be hitting the WW, as the first wave of free agents have been signed and some owners may need to make additional cuts. With that said, we might need to say that you have 24 hours to assign a signed FA, so that new players DO hit the WW.
1/10/2015 6:44 PM
Just a draft for now:

20 Man Keeper World Private World Rules Proposal:  

Each team may not have any more than 20 players on their 40 man roster by the first day of free agency, and the rule 5 draft roster freeze.  

40 man rosters shall be trimmed to 20 by means of release, designate for assignment with waivers, or trade.  

Use of designate for assignment without waivers is banned until after the rule 5 draft day. 

Upon signing, being awarded a waiver claim, or acquiring by trade a player with a contract with more than one season remaining, owners must assign them to their ML roster before the rule 5 roster freeze. 

If an owner keeps more than 20 players on their 40 man roster by the first day of free agency, they must waive the number of players that they are over the 20 man limit by, starting with the highest rated player, by overall rating.

If a player with more than one season remaining on his contract is left unassigned by the rule 5 roster freeze, said player must be placed on waivers.  

The owner of any franchise that fails to attain 60 wins in one season, 125 wins in two consecutive seasons, 195 wins in three consecutive seasons, or 270 wins in four consecutive seasons shall not be allowed to return the following season.  

Each owner is responsible to keep their franchise's minor leagues adequately stocked and free of excessive fatigue.  

Any violation of these rules will result in the offending owner not being allowed to return the following season. 

Monitoring and enforcement of the rules shall be performed by the commissioner, and one or two "deputies" .  All owners are free to monitor and report infractions to the commissioner. 
1/10/2015 6:48 PM
Bit busy right now, but I'm going to give mike's idea some more thought.
1/10/2015 6:51 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 1/10/2015 6:07:00 PM (view original):
I guess I'm still thinking limiting all owners to only 2 WW pick-ups before Spring Training might be better than banning WW claims altogether. I'd be ok with it either way. Everything else sounds good to me.
I'm for this as well.
1/10/2015 7:11 PM
I'm good with shobob's updated draft of the rules from his 6:48pm post.

I don't like putting any limits on the number of waiver claims that a team can make.  I understand that there's a concern that the #1 owner on the WW priority list gets first crack at up to 2 a day, but I honestly don't think that's that big a deal.  These aren't going to be impact players, they're going to be the tail end of other team's rosters.
1/10/2015 8:26 PM
I think it makes a big impact on the bottom 7 or 8 teams that will not be able to get the same ww claims that the bottom 1 or 2 get
1/10/2015 8:44 PM
I am inclined to agree with tec and jkenned that these guys are not impact players and won't change the game all that much.
Having said that, the fact that Mike pretty adamantly feels it IS INDEED a pretty significant advantage I have to pause and consider it.

I also 100% agree with runnrun above. Whatever size the advantage turns out to be it is GREATLY multiplied by having the #1 WW priority. That much simply cannot be argued against.

Ultimately it is not a big deal as far as getting the ball rolling. There are obviously two camps and they aren't going to agree on this one point.

I'd suggest rolling with no restrictions on WW claims, and see how that first season goes.

IF it becomes apparent that it is too big of an advantage THEN you could amend it for S2. Worst case scenario is one team gets ahead quickly. No reason to add another restriction and monitoring hassle that may not be necessary.
1/10/2015 9:10 PM (edited)
For the sake of argument, let's say that the #1 WW priority team does get a significant advantage from this.  Is that so bad?  Next season, it's going to be another team that gets the advantage.  And yet another team the season after that.  These teams likely aren't going to be turning around from 60 win teams to 100 win teams because of the guys they're picking up on the wire.  But maybe they become 75-80 win teams.  And that's good for the competitiveness of the world.
1/10/2015 9:31 PM
I won't argue with that.
1/10/2015 10:54 PM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15|16...26 Next ▸
Keeper World Discussion Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.