Last 5 books you’ve read Topic

Posted by gomiami1972 on 7/5/2018 3:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rsp777 on 7/5/2018 1:51:00 PM (view original):
"How to remain a liberal, a relative democrat, hard on immigration and a gun owner and distance yourself as far as possible from the current left"
I'm starting Don Quixote but this appears to be a much harder read.

I wonder how it will end?
Even money on "******* Badly"
7/5/2018 3:41 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
well said?

where is the repugnants??

Absconded with the deplorables...........

7/11/2018 11:03 AM

Trump: A Century Too Late
7/19/2018 1:44 PM
Been a while since I posted here.

The Secret Pilgrim (John LeCarre) - Now catching up to some LeCarre I've read before; having been now properly introduced to some of the characters in Russia House, some of it made more sense to me than on my first reading. This one is basically a collection of reminiscences spanning the career of "Ned", who reflects on his career while George Smiley has conversations with students at spy school.

Graveyard of Memories (Barry Eisler) - The eighth novel featuring assassin John Rain, this one is a "prequel" that details how Rain got started in "the business". Somewhat hampered stylistically by frequent "knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have done it this way, but at the time I was young and inexperienced so I did stupid things" asides, but still an interesting story.

Stormy Weather (Carl Hiassen) - Skink returns and hijinks follow in the aftermath of a hurricane. There might be some wild animals and clueless tourists about, as well.

The Republic of Pirates (Colin Woodard) - Inspired by a family trip to Disney, I thought I should learn more about the Pirates of the Caribbean. This book focuses on the "golden age" of the pirates (roughly 1715-1725) and primarily follows the careers of three pirates (Blackbeard, Charles Vane and Sam Bellamy) as well as the failed businessman/privateer turned Bahamas governor (Woodes Rogers) who helped end their reign of terror.

The Night Manager (John LeCarre) - Recently a miniseries starring Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie, this novel tells the story of the "night manager" of a hotel in Zurich, who happens to be former military, and his recruitment by English intelligence to go undercover in the organization of a major weapons dealer whom the night manager had previously had an unfortunate encounter with in Cairo.

The Beatles: the Biography (Bob Spitz) - A rather long (850ish pages of text, plus another 100 or so of notes/bibliography) bio in which we don't even meet Paul until after page 100. I've never been more than a casual Beatles fan, so I found it interesting and informative. Big fans of the group probably don't need to spend much time with it (though the book supposedly shatters some long-held Beatles "myths").

The Trapped Girl (Robert Dugoni) - The fourth of the Tracy Crosswhite series, this one finds her trying to solve the murder of a girl found in a lobster trap. When it appears that the dead girl was trying to live under an assumed identity, the question becomes "who was she hiding from?" and things become more complicated from there.

Lucky You (Carl Hiassen) - When a black woman holds one winning ticket in the lottery, and two redneck white supremacists at the opposite end of the state hold the other, tension is established. When the black woman lives in a town frequented by "pilgrims" visiting the various sacred sites in town (including a weeping statue of Mary and a Jesus road stain), weirdness follows. Luckily there is a down-on-his-luck reporter around to help sort things out.

The Three Body Problem (Liu Cixin) - Sci fi from a Chinese author, the first book in a trilogy. The title refers to the difficulty of mathematically modeling the movements of three objects, all of which are exerting gravitational force on the others. It turns out that Earth may be due for a visit from a civilization that lives in a three-sun system.

The Lost City of the Monkey King (Douglas Preston) - First-hand account by Preston (co-author of the Pendergast fiction series I've been reading) about his involvement with an expedition into the jungles of Honduras to search for a legendary lost city. And of the disease that half of the expedition contracted in the course of it. Good read, touching on archaeology, medicine, world history.
9/9/2018 11:49 AM
the place to post when you write is where readers read

dick and jane
9/12/2018 12:30 AM
whats the 5 books of moses..is it one book or five books and where is the sequel
9/12/2018 1:27 AM
9/12/2018 2:57 AM
Shane, the book the western movie was based on by Jack Schaeffer. Great Read. Better than the movie.
9/27/2018 9:05 PM
Dear bronx. Please reduce the size of your graphic. It's taking up too much space in my house.
9/27/2018 11:06 PM
Our Game - John LeCarre: A British operative (a double agent, in fact) disappears, apparently with a large sum of money stolen from the Russian government. Where did he go? The police want to know, and they question his former (now retired) handler, who sets off on his own journey to discover the answer (and, at the same time, discover what happened to his former live-in lover, who had disappeared with the agent).

The Golden Age - James Maxwell: First of a four-part fantasy series with some familiar "Game of Thrones" type stuff going on, with some twists along the way. Takes place in a Mediterranean Sea-shaped universe where a species of human-like creatures can transform into sea/air/land creatures with some size variations (harpy, or, in rare cases, dragon for air; ogre or giant for land, etc.) but risk losing their sense of self when they do. Some have lost the ability to change back, and the risk posed by those who can causes tension between the northern kingdoms that this book focuses on (one democratic, one monarchical). When the Sun King from the far reaches of the sea determines that there is gold here that can help him finish plating his pyramid (to ensure his entrance to the next world), tensions ramp up.

City of Endless Night - Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child: the latest Pendergast novel, in which a serial killer is offing (and beheading) despicable people with impeccable security arrangements. Except for the possible first victim, the daughter of a tech millionaire. And, later, a revered saintlike African visitor to the UN. What does it all mean? If Pendergast can't figure it out, who can?

The Johnstown Flood - David McCullough: The Truman author's first published work tackles the Johnstown flood of 1889, which killed upwards of 2,000 people after a (poorly maintained) dam failed during a major rainstorm. Generally well-researched and pretty interesting, though I would maybe prefer fewer "this is how this person's day unfolded" segments.

Sick Puppy - Carl Hiassen: Skink's fourth appearance comes rather late in this tale, which focuses on a lobbyist/"big-game hunter" who attracts the attention of an independently wealthy environmental crusader of sorts due to his pollution of Florida's roads with his fast food trash. The title character plays an important part in the tale, and Skink has a face-to-face meeting with the current governor of Florida.

Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom - Stephen Platt: Details the Chinese "civil war" (as described by the author, though it is more popularly known as the Taiping Rebellion), which ran from 1850-1864 and is thought to have cost the lives of 20 million Chinese (which dwarfs the amount killed in the US Civil War, which coincided with the tail end of the Chinese conflict). Focuses more on the political background and the international response rather than blow-by-blow descriptions of various battles (though certain key battles are described in detail). I thought it was quite interesting.

11/26/2018 4:29 PM
Quarterback - John Feinstein - Feinstein profiles 5 QBs (4 active, one retired) Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, Andrew Luck, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Doug Williams
Dark, Sacred Night - Harry Bosch teams up with another detective to solve a 9 year old cold case
Bury the Lead - Archer Mayer - Joe Gunther, a Vermont Bureau of Investigations detective, and his team solve the murder of young women. It seems open and shut after a guy confesses to the crime,but things don't add up
Long Road to Mercy - David Baldacci - Baldacci introduces a new character, Atlee Pine, a FBI agent in the Shattered Rock, AZ resident agency, which is responsible for the Grand Canyon. After a mule is found massacred in the canyon, Pine investigates, and the clues leader deeper and higher into the governement after she is ordered off the case by her superions
12/2/2018 1:58 AM
how can a mule be found massacred...unless maybe superions are vengeant
1/19/2019 7:00 AM
Playboy, hustler, big uns, sports illustrated swimsuit, the Bible.
1/26/2019 2:15 PM
i threw away all of my e.l. docktorow books.
1/26/2019 2:26 PM
◂ Prev 1...14|15|16|17|18|19 Next ▸
Last 5 books you’ve read Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.