Is there a problem with Triangle offense? Topic

Lol. thanks Gil. It's lesson learned.
4/13/2016 10:07 PM
Doesn't cjwolf run high ath/def flex teams that do pretty well. Carlbuzz runs high ath/def flex/zone with teams pretty similar to myers. does anyone know of anyone running high ath/def motion teams?

Idk I don't see too many high ath/def motion teams or I just don't pay attention to those.

But yeah motion is better than flex, CS has confirmed to me FB is basically a super uptempo motion after they try to get the break

FB>Motion>>Flex>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Triangle in terms of ath/def usage
4/13/2016 10:54 PM (edited)
Posted by the0nlyis on 4/13/2016 10:54:00 PM (view original):
Doesn't cjwolf run high ath/def flex teams that do pretty well. Carlbuzz runs high ath/def flex/zone with teams pretty similar to myers. does anyone know of anyone running high ath/def motion teams?

Idk I don't see too many high ath/def motion teams or I just don't pay attention to those.

But yeah motion is better than flex, CS has confirmed to me FB is basically a super uptempo motion after they try to get the break

the Rowan team that got the NT in wooden was a high ath/def motion team.
4/13/2016 10:54 PM

you are ranking offenses in terms of ath/def usage?? the def usage of all offenses is the same - 0. now, offenses may lend themselves better to going a focused ath/def route, but what you said was that his team would be significantly better running flex, with the same players he had - and those two statements are completely different. you see what im saying?
4/14/2016 12:04 AM

Jsajsa runs motion/press on all of his teams. Lot of ath and def...he seems to do aight.
4/14/2016 12:15 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 4/14/2016 12:04:00 AM (view original):

you are ranking offenses in terms of ath/def usage?? the def usage of all offenses is the same - 0. now, offenses may lend themselves better to going a focused ath/def route, but what you said was that his team would be significantly better running flex, with the same players he had - and those two statements are completely different. you see what im saying?
sorry i meant by just running the high ath/def team didn't mean defense was a factor into any of these offenses, just meant by the recruiting style of recruiting heavy ath/def guys since they are strong linked.

im a little confused? I said his team would be better flex/press, i don't think i said flex was the best one for him, I have been saying FB for that style he recruits? I should probably re-read what I wrote

edit: I guess I've just seen more flex teams run heavy ath/def. I always thought it was weird thinking flex used speed the most, but it seems to work for some reason, maybe they would be better off with the motion since it is the closest to the FB and still allows slowdown. I guess I should've wrote running fb/flex/motion you would've been way better off.
4/14/2016 1:19 AM (edited)
Posted by darnoc29099 on 4/14/2016 12:15:00 AM (view original):

Jsajsa runs motion/press on all of his teams. Lot of ath and def...he seems to do aight.
you wouldn't say jsajsa recruits very similar to myers though, jsajsa just has such high ath/def because he brings in the best players, not because he soley focuses on ath/def like myers.

jsajsa still has good ratings at all other positions.

Although I looked around and there really isn't anyone else at the D3 level consistently running ath/def super high obviously no one close to myers, I think he's the only one doing that, or at least the only one doing it that successfully.

So I guess jsajsa does get the ath/def motion/press team even though I wouldn't call it the "ath/def" motion-press team I was thinking of.

4/14/2016 1:16 AM
Posted by the0nlyis on 4/14/2016 1:19:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 4/14/2016 12:04:00 AM (view original):

sorry i meant by just running the high ath/def team didn't mean defense was a factor into any of these offenses, just meant by the recruiting style of recruiting heavy ath/def guys since they are strong linked.

im a little confused? I said his team would be better flex/press, i don't think i said flex was the best one for him, I have been saying FB for that style he recruits? I should probably re-read what I wrote

edit: I guess I've just seen more flex teams run heavy ath/def. I always thought it was weird thinking flex used speed the most, but it seems to work for some reason, maybe they would be better off with the motion since it is the closest to the FB and still allows slowdown. I guess I should've wrote running fb/flex/motion you would've been way better off.
thats the thing - why would this team be way better off running flex? you said it again, i'd like to help you out here, there's something you are missing.

on the other topic, the general idea of how to run a heavy ath/def team, sure, there are reasons to run this offense or that. but be careful - those are team building-related issues. when you already have a team, you already know the players involved, you just would want to select the sets that best fit that mold. his team has strong ath/def - but that really has nothing to do with the question of why his offense is struggling, or what offense he should run.

when you talk about his team offensively, from an ath/def standpoint, it kind of makes no sense. his offense is such that he is lacking in 3 point shooting, and relies heavily on 2 point shooting, and drawing fouls. fastbreak is the best foul drawing offense, followed by motion, which is why they make sense for his team. you have this understanding of what some good ath/def teams look like - but be careful - you are mapping that understanding to a different situation, and mixing up these ideas a bit - and it shows in the conclusions you draw. you haven't said anything about why flex is better, except you think it works better with ath/def teams in general, and that's ok - but you need to try to take the next step, which is the why. why is flex good with heavy ath/def teams? i am not giving you a hard time here - i am trying to help. just because a system might make sense, you can't just make these specific leaps to how a specific team should be run.

the big hurdle in this game... well, there are two, one is really getting hang of recruiting... on the coaching side, the big hurdle is seeing teams differently. younger coaches, even guys with a couple titles, often look at teams and are seeing one team, they are looking at players and thinking about how good they are individually, and figuring if those players are good, then the team is. it isn't. there are many different areas of competency of the team, offense, defense, rebounding, passing, depth, etc... when you get to the point when you can easily and accurately break down teams and players that way, when that is the default way you view teams and players, it really makes a huge difference. you are still thinking and talking at the team level here... ath/def teams in general are better with this set or that, or whatever. but be specific. can you try to explain why this team is one ounce better, running flex, than triangle?

i'll follow up with an explanation, that answers that question, and i'll also explain the extreme ath/def focused type of teams, in terms of the 4 offenses - how they fit together, where the synergy is, because i know its a topic you are interested in particularly. one last word of caution. i've obviously read many of your posts over the last year or whatever. when i read your posts about the different offenses, it reminds me of myself from a long time ago. i moved away from talking about offenses so much, because i wasn't really getting across a key point, which is that the differences in the offenses, except fb, are relatively minor, relative to a lot of other stuff in this game, which is far more important. a great motion team might be a couple points a game worse, running flex, or triangle, but that would about be the worst of it. a great team running any of the 3 main offenses is great with any of the 3 offenses. its a small factor. there are differences in the offenses, and how you should play them, and i think its great to try to incorporate that into the way you build teams, around the point in time where you are capable of winning a championship (which is right where you are). but just keep in mind that the differences are small - there is a huge list of things coaches need to learn and do before it makes sense to really worry about those differences. a guy who takes 20ppg on a team running flex, isn't taking 13 if you keep everything the same but flip IQ to motion - maybe its 18. i can't quite tell from your posts if you understand the scale at play here, in the differences between offenses. its almost never, that a S16 team would become a F4 team simply by flipping offenses - at least without significantly changing how the team is played, at the same time - and then usually, those changes would still help the team at the old offense, considerably (i know you said F4 by flipping off AND def, which is very different - take this comment as a general one, not specific to what you said). i love to talk about the differences in sets especially with respect to team building - but i don't often enough make it clear that these are subtle effects - and so i just want to make that clear now.
4/14/2016 12:53 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 12
Is there a problem with Triangle offense? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.