Obama: Worst President Ever? Topic

It works for some.   An acquaintance of mine was extolling the virtues of it to me a couple of months ago.    Married, three kids, not check to check but not rolling in dough either, home owner, affordable cars.   Wife works 20-25 hours a week as a receptionist or something.   He told me how he pays the same for his insurance but gets a $1200 subsidy now.  I assumed similar insurance.  But the thing that annoyed me, and I referenced it earlier, is that they were weighing the benefits of the wife quiting, to save on child care expense for the youngest, and getting a higher insurance subsidy due to lower household income.

Again, maybe a woman not working in order to care for her child might outweigh the additional tax burden shared by Americans in the long run but these subsidies come at a cost.  They aren't "free money". 

10/16/2014 8:30 AM
I think the part you are missing is that health insurance premiums have always been subsidized. Prior to the ACA, they were subsidized primarily through tax deductions for businesses that paid at least part of the premiums.

Now, instead of that benefit going to employers, individuals are getting it and it's structured slightly different.
10/16/2014 9:05 AM
I'll add that the "What's best for me?" mindset applies to most social programs. 

Do I work 25 hours flipping burgers at McD's for $8 an hour or do I collect my $180 unemployment check?   Maybe work a day or two for my buddy under the table installing fencing. 
Do I accept the full-time offer and lose my food stamp eligibility or stay part-time to keep my FSE intact? 

You can't really blame people for doing what's best for them but it doesn't always line up with what's best for taxpayers or the country as a whole.    I know people who work the system, have in-laws who do it and, if I stayed in touch with my family better, would probably find out that I have relatives who work it.   It's hard to judge, or find fault in, someone who uses what is presented to them.   It's just the way the system works.
10/16/2014 1:15 PM
That's kind of the point of the safety net systems. Providing unemployment keeps overqualified people from accepting jobs flipping burgers and further driving down wages.

And, again, you're ignoring the fact that health insurance premiums have always been subsidized.
10/16/2014 1:54 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/16/2014 1:54:00 PM (view original):
That's kind of the point of the safety net systems. Providing unemployment keeps overqualified people from accepting jobs flipping burgers and further driving down wages.

And, again, you're ignoring the fact that health insurance premiums have always been subsidized.
Overqualified people flipping burgers does not drive down wages.  That is a fallacy.

The wages for the burger-flipper are burger-flipper wages, regardless of how qualified the person is who is doing the flipping.  I can't imagine you'd argue that you can pay an over-qualified person less to flip burgers than you can someone who is less qualified.  So no driving down of wages for that job.

The job said over-qualified to be a burger-flipper person lost no longer exists.  That is zero wage.  If that industry creates more of those jobs at a later date, the pay for those jobs is unaffected by whether said person took a job as a burger-flipper or chose to stay unemployed in the interim.
10/16/2014 2:55 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 10/16/2014 2:55:00 PM (view original):

Overqualified people flipping burgers does not drive down wages.  That is a fallacy.

The wages for the burger-flipper are burger-flipper wages, regardless of how qualified the person is who is doing the flipping.  I can't imagine you'd argue that you can pay an over-qualified person less to flip burgers than you can someone who is less qualified.  So no driving down of wages for that job.

The job said over-qualified to be a burger-flipper person lost no longer exists.  That is zero wage.  If that industry creates more of those jobs at a later date, the pay for those jobs is unaffected by whether said person took a job as a burger-flipper or chose to stay unemployed in the interim.
You're right, I oversimplified with an example that doesn't really make sense.

Unemployment prevents wages from being driven down by giving people something to live on so that they don't have to take the first job offer just to survive.
10/16/2014 3:22 PM

I'm not sure why we're even talking about overqualified people.  

1.  A microbiologist isn't going to accept a job flipping burgers.
2.  McD's isn't going to hire a microbiologist to flip burgers.
3.  Chances are someone in the field of microbiology isn't going to be able to utilize a $180 a week "safety net".

The entire post about overqualified people flipping burgers makes no sense.

Oh, that's right, more of BL's nonsense.    More confirmation that blocking him was the right call.  
10/16/2014 3:33 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/16/2014 3:33:00 PM (view original):

I'm not sure why we're even talking about overqualified people.  

1.  A microbiologist isn't going to accept a job flipping burgers.
2.  McD's isn't going to hire a microbiologist to flip burgers.
3.  Chances are someone in the field of microbiology isn't going to be able to utilize a $180 a week "safety net".

The entire post about overqualified people flipping burgers makes no sense.

Oh, that's right, more of BL's nonsense.    More confirmation that blocking him was the right call.  
Ignoring the fact that I already admitted to oversimplifying with an example that didn't really make sense (I lazily used burger flipping because you used it), do you have to be a microbiologist to be overqualified to flip burgers? Just about anyone with a couple years of professional level work experience, even without a college degree, is probably qualified to do something better than fast food.

The point stands. Unemployment provides a percentage of your previous income so that you don't have to take the first offer that comes along in order to survive.
10/16/2014 3:42 PM
And you're still ignoring the fact that health insurance premiums have always been subsidized.
10/16/2014 3:43 PM
10/16/2014 3:59 PM
10/16/2014 7:56 PM

I HATE OBAMACARE!
10/17/2014 8:15 PM
10/17/2014 8:20 PM
10/17/2014 8:23 PM
10/17/2014 8:27 PM
◂ Prev 1...249|250|251|252|253...462 Next ▸
Obama: Worst President Ever? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.