READEM AND WEEP DRAFT THREAD Topic

Posted by XYGZ on 12/6/2014 12:38:00 AM (view original):
Dave Foutz SP (drafting only as a pitcher)
You can hope you get him as a P, but all his seasons are eligible. Same with Ruth, Caruthers, Reb Russell, etc.
12/6/2014 1:40 AM
Can't draft as a pitcher or hitter only. All WIS seasons in database will be used in determining player years
12/6/2014 2:49 AM
I am working until 3pm est today so if I am up look for my pick @ 330-345 (for those picking after me)
12/6/2014 6:15 AM (edited)
Posted by verynice on 12/6/2014 2:49:00 AM (view original):
Can't draft as a pitcher or hitter only. All WIS seasons in database will be used in determining player years
First off, when a search is done in the draft room. It is either for pitchers or fielders, and they don't cross reference each other.  Also since when is it possible to have a fielder pitch or a pitcher come into a game at 3rd base. It isn't possible, not in LIVE or simulated games as far as here in WIS. 
 Second, if this is going to be enforced then it should have been specified in the rules.    Below is from page 1:

Some basic rules to follow… 

You must use the full player season in the year you are assigned. 

First and last seasons of a player's career will be eliminated if they contain less than 400 AB, or less than 100 IP for a starting pitcher. This is according to baseball-reference.com, not ab/162 or ip/162. I do this because this is where I calculate the available seasons, etc. 

If we are not allowed to specify between pitching or fielding years then how does this rule apply?  There is also a problem with using baseball reference.com as your guide for elligible years.  How can you qualify seasons that meet the requirements according to B.B.Ref.com, yet WIS doesn't have all of them in the data base.
For example Foutz has 9 seasons with more then the neccesary 25 IPs to be in the WIS data base. Yet there are only 2 that I was able to find.  I bring this up in reference to the copied and pasted rule above. Where the last sentence says,    " I do this because this is where I calculate the available seasons, etc." 

This issue came up last season, and taint changed the elligible seasons to either pitcher or fielder.

12/6/2014 11:52 AM (edited)
XYGX - here is a post from the rules below

You'll be assigned a random season of every player you draft. We'll send each eligible season of a player's career thru random.org's number generator.

I understand the question you have but players in the early days played both so when the rules say each eligible season is includuded, they are. Babe Ruth is a great example as you could get the hitter or pitcher depending on your draw. Hence Read em and Weep. Regardless of the game restriction of pitchers playing in the field or restriction of position player pitching.

I have played this theme a ton in the past so I am aware of the details more than those that may have joined for the first time but the rule is there. I hope this clarifies the rule understanding you may wish it to be different.
12/6/2014 11:45 AM
Sitemailed you so if you didn't want to risk a hitting season you could repick before missing any or many players.
12/6/2014 11:48 AM
Posted by scaljay on 12/6/2014 11:45:00 AM (view original):
XYGX - here is a post from the rules below

You'll be assigned a random season of every player you draft. We'll send each eligible season of a player's career thru random.org's number generator.

I understand the question you have but players in the early days played both so when the rules say each eligible season is includuded, they are. Babe Ruth is a great example as you could get the hitter or pitcher depending on your draw. Hence Read em and Weep. Regardless of the game restriction of pitchers playing in the field or restriction of position player pitching.

I have played this theme a ton in the past so I am aware of the details more than those that may have joined for the first time but the rule is there. I hope this clarifies the rule understanding you may wish it to be different.
Well if that is in the rules it isn't on page one of this forum post. I'm not trying to change anything, I'm just saying that if that is the case then it should be clearly stated. Like I said it came up last season, which was my first time playing. and Taint revised the eligible seasons. But last season it came up after the draft was already over.
12/6/2014 12:01 PM
I definitely did not revise the pitcher/hitter rule. I rerolled a couple of ineligible seasons though. It's a complicated process.
12/6/2014 12:07 PM
Ed Seward P
12/6/2014 1:21 PM
Well it looks like Joe Wood falls into that same category. He stopped pitching in 1915, but continued til 1922 as an OF.

So I guess I'll be re-picking on both of my 2nd round picks.
12/6/2014 1:21 PM
I tried to sitemail the next guy but says he doesn't exit...
12/6/2014 1:22 PM

Replacing Dave Foutz - Ed Daily

12/6/2014 1:25 PM
Replacing Joe Wood - Rube Waddell
12/6/2014 1:30 PM
Posted by BastanRedsox on 12/6/2014 1:22:00 PM (view original):
I tried to sitemail the next guy but says he doesn't exit...
oh I exist!
12/6/2014 1:45 PM
CLAYTON KERSHAW
12/6/2014 1:45 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...53 Next ▸
READEM AND WEEP DRAFT THREAD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.