MLD World Thread #2 Topic

Sure, the one time I come with an idea that someone else likes and yogs has to try shooting it down. ;)
But seriously, while I agree with yogs that's it's nice to ride the hot goalie, how often does it really happen that it goes between more than 2 goalies? I played each of my 3 goalies this past season, but mainly went with one guy. The odd man out played maybe 7 games, one guy 19, and the other played the rest. My point being that I mainly relied on 2 goalies.
Besides, any changes would be done so we all have advanced notice, whether it was TOI reduction or only carrying 2 goalies.
Rammers, I'm attached to my guys too. It's hard to decide on who to keep, who to let go, or seeing a guy that's been the backbone of your team have to retire, but we all have to make these choices.
With regards to stamina problems, if a GM can have a guy with a 52 stamina go on a 6 game SO streak, then stamina shouldn't be an issue. (Sorry I forgot who posted that nugget, and I'm to lazy to look. :P )
1/29/2008 6:17 PM
Yeah, it was me. He was red freakin' hot, but after that streak I couldn't play him more than two games in a row... the stamina issue shows up over the long term.
1/29/2008 7:29 PM
I'm still thinking lowering the TOI is the way to go. Maybe even adding a playoff TOI cap as well to prevent GMs from saving "experienced" goalies for playoff duties only.
I am not sure I'm sold on the 2 (or any)goalie cap idea though. Shouldn't it be up to the GM how many players-per-postion?
A reduction, heavy reduction (200 TOI, 300 TOI for FP) to goalie careers should address the current issue of goalie playing too long in the MLD. (Increase goalie turnover rate) It would also make it so goalies get drafted more regularly.
This might even boost the scoring(short and long term) some of us have been up in arms about these last few seasons. I say "might" btut check out this nugget of info..... I'm personally carrying 3 goalies at the moment, 2 of which were on my team in season 1, whenever they are in net, I expect it to be close. As for my other goalie, (your basic average rookie) whose stats are significantly LESS than the other 2 vets, he has been lit up in every start as I aim to get him some experience to hopefully make him a better goalie via improvements with game experience.
The fact that he gets lit up, makes me wonder what would happen to the league as a whole, if we all had goalies like that.... as opposed to the current generation of goalies whom have become Hasek-like. Plus they'd have shorter careers with the TOI reduction....
But ya never know, my 3rd goalie just might be a dud and suck..... lol but still, something to think about
1/30/2008 11:05 PM
If I recall correctly the Intercourse rook got lit up at the beginning of last season but he went on to win the Calder... or he should have...
1/31/2008 8:49 AM
how many rook goalies, regularly played rook goalies were in the running?
1/31/2008 1:46 PM
Hmmm... my rookie was actually a second-year guy but he'd only had a few games before, and he only played a little over half our games. yogsloth's two guys weren't true first-year guys. Okanagan's Plokki was a true rookie starter I believe... Intercourse's Mannikainen was the standout, and if I recall correctly he was the first overall draft pick.
1/31/2008 2:19 PM
I was just tossing out the idea for have a goalie limit.
OKP, I agree that dropping the TOI is going to make for WAY more turnover in the nets, and it will increase scoring. So if we go with the TOI reduction then we shouldn't do ANYTHING else to increase scoring.
Also, I too have a goalie from season 1 on my roster, and he's played games in every season so far. I'd play him more, but I feel I have better goalies ahead of him.
1/31/2008 8:11 PM
I was just looking at my goalies careers and noticed something that makes think a 200 TOI would be really really short for a career. Before the start of this season my goalie Bud "Les" Nesman has played in 4 seasons with 190 GP and a TOI of 187:36.
That seems to be much to short a time, in my opinion. While I agree that goalie turnover would be a good thing, I think shortening TOI that much would cause more problems than we would want to deal with. Mainly there not being enough goalies to go around in a draft.
Would there be a different way to determine when a goalie must retire? Could we do number of seasons played regardless of games played in a season? Maybe take away the option to make goalies FP's? I could see everyone wanting to make their goalies FP's so they could be kept longer.
1/31/2008 8:29 PM
Hee hee. I have a goalie who was an original NWBruin - Thatcher. He's great when he plays, but his STA is so low that I can't possibly ever start him more than two games in a row. Which also limits the idea of developing him. If goalie TOI limits stay as they are now, my goal is to NEVER retire him.
As for the idea that everyone would want to make their goalie an FP, that was something I thought of before I started playing in this league... well of course, if you have a monster goalie, you'd want to keep him forever. Once I started playing and seeing how things kind of work, I didn't consider it ever again. I had Morton, a 100/100 goalie, the thought of making him the FP didn't even cross my mind once.
b_d has a good point with Nesman's TOI. yogsloth says you may need to ride the goalie with the hot hand that season... well, what if you have a #1 you want to ride all the way, like a Nesman, Lacroix, Parkka or Morton? You should be able to do that too, it's realistic. Maybe we need a warranty-type thing, like "x seasons played OR x TOI, whichever comes first".
2/1/2008 8:40 AM
I haven't had time to catch up and read all of the recent comments in this thread, but regardless I would just like to say I am against any rule that SHORTENS any player's career.
I think the retirement limits are WAY TOO restrictive as is, and a six season career across the board except for ONE franchise player is ridiculously short as it stands now.
2/1/2008 1:39 PM
- Which simply goes to prove that, no matter what I may personally think, there is always another blind guy standing at the other end of the elephant.
2/1/2008 1:51 PM
Actually, let me correct my statement to say that I am OK with a slight reduction in the goalie TOI, but not from 360 all the way down to !!!200!!! - perhaps to 300, but a 45% reduction is overkill IMHO
2/1/2008 2:07 PM
smeric - I think we all agree on the 6 season career for skaters. Goalies are very different since it's not seasons but TOI that decides their # of seasons.

When we started the league we though a #1 goalie would probably play 60 mins in average and therefore retire after 6 seasons; TOI = 360. But that was in theory...

If you have 3 good goalies and play them 27 games each in average (82 games / 3 goalies = 26.67), you don't need another goalie for 14 seasons!!!

If we go with the suggested TOI = 200 you could split the TOI between your 3 goalies for a total of 8 seasons. Then seasons for skaters and TOI for goalies would be more balanced in terms of the career length...

# of seasonsTOI i hours
2/1/2008 2:26 PM
That's fine smeric, I was thinking 300 TOI also until I ran the # you see above. But with 300 TOI you can split the games between 3 goalies for 11-12 seasons without needing replacements. I think that is way too long.
I know 27 games is probably a little low for a #1 goalie, even in average over several seasons, but I think we all have experienced that our 1st, 2nd or even 3rd backup are not far behind the best one in wins, GAA and SV%. Like skaters, goalies also seem to have hot and cold streaks and even hot and cold seasons if you ask me...
2/1/2008 2:39 PM
200 TOI seems fair to me, it will definately be interesting to see the mass goalie retirements!
2/1/2008 3:21 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...63 Next ▸
MLD World Thread #2 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.