'A' Prestige D-I Loses to D-II -- Both Very High! Topic

Posted by Benis on 1/4/2017 8:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/4/2017 8:38:00 PM (view original):
So they get the benefit of the great player but there should be no risk? Huh?
The risk is they lose the player and don't have him anymore.

Also, it's not just B6 that is having EEs.
So they should just automatically be able to replace him? Huh?
1/4/2017 8:42 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/4/2017 8:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 1/4/2017 8:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/4/2017 8:38:00 PM (view original):
So they get the benefit of the great player but there should be no risk? Huh?
The risk is they lose the player and don't have him anymore.

Also, it's not just B6 that is having EEs.
So they should just automatically be able to replace him? Huh?
Again. Why are you assuming it's automatic?

I just explained how all the advantages of B6 are gone.
1/4/2017 8:43 PM
I don't think it is. And I don't think it should be. But, when you're on top, prepare for a fight. Others want to be there. Don't complain that it's hard to stay on top. It should be.
1/4/2017 8:45 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/4/2017 8:45:00 PM (view original):
I don't think it is. And I don't think it should be. But, when you're on top, prepare for a fight. Others want to be there. Don't complain that it's hard to stay on top. It should be.
That's fine. No one is saying they don't want to fight. Just give me the resources to fight with as others have gotten.
1/4/2017 8:49 PM
"But they now need to worry about me and my D prestige NMSU team because I can now beat them. They can't just coast along. I think we all agree on this right?"

No, for a player that they've prioritized, you can't roll with UCLA or Stanford, not for a guy they really want. Not as a D. They will knock you the * out, if they want him enough, and have prioritized him high enough.

Now if no one above you has your plan A as their plan A, congrats, you will probably get him, or at least get in range. That's the game. And as long as effort is part of the game - and believe me, I would love it if they removed effort and cash - the effort has to mean something.
1/4/2017 8:50 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 1/4/2017 8:50:00 PM (view original):
"But they now need to worry about me and my D prestige NMSU team because I can now beat them. They can't just coast along. I think we all agree on this right?"

No, for a player that they've prioritized, you can't roll with UCLA or Stanford, not for a guy they really want. Not as a D. They will knock you the * out, if they want him enough, and have prioritized him high enough.

Now if no one above you has your plan A as their plan A, congrats, you will probably get him, or at least get in range. That's the game. And as long as effort is part of the game - and believe me, I would love it if they removed effort and cash - the effort has to mean something.
Yeah of course, all things being equal A is going to beat my D. But maybe I have more openings? Maybe better preferences? I just need to get close to have a chance.

Then combine it with the fact they may be battling another top school and maybe they don't have enough money to go all in.

B6 needs to worry about all teams in D1 now. Not just other B6 teams.
1/4/2017 8:55 PM
Posted by Benis on 1/4/2017 8:49:00 PM (view original):
That's fine. No one is saying they don't want to fight. Just give me the resources to fight with as others have gotten.
Resources are based on how many roster spots you have.

Here's one. I want to cut two SIMAI guys and recruit 4. They aren't my guys. They suck. I don't want them. You know when my LOUSY D3 can get the resources to replace my LOUSY players? Same time a GREAT D1 gets resources to replace their GREAT player.

When will someone shed tears for me?
1/4/2017 8:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/4/2017 8:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 1/4/2017 8:49:00 PM (view original):
Resources are based on how many roster spots you have.

Here's one. I want to cut two SIMAI guys and recruit 4. They aren't my guys. They suck. I don't want them. You know when my LOUSY D3 can get the resources to replace my LOUSY players? Same time a GREAT D1 gets resources to replace their GREAT player.

When will someone shed tears for me?
I'm not sure I understand the comparison. You cut those players and you get the resources. Go and try to find some players to help your D3 team win.

And people have been complaining that changing job sucks. I don't understand what being LOUSY has to do with it.
1/4/2017 8:59 PM
Posted by Benis on 1/4/2017 8:55:00 PM (view original):

Yeah of course, all things being equal A is going to beat my D. But maybe I have more openings? Maybe better preferences? I just need to get close to have a chance.

Then combine it with the fact they may be battling another top school and maybe they don't have enough money to go all in.

That's a 2.0 mindset. That's not the game anymore. You don't "worry about" other teams. 3.0 is about prioritization, pick the best guys you can have a shot with, and roll for them. Try and find other guys you don't have to fight for to fill out. If you shoot too high on your plan Bs, you end up dealing with your NMSU boners trying to pick them off. That's how it works in a commodity game. That's the only rational way to set it up, as long as recruiting is primarily based on effort.

Important to note here, prestige is still huge. It has not been "neutered". That's hyperbole. The advantage isn't self-perpetuating anymore, which is why some people feel it's "punishing success". But that's a misperception based on perspective. Losing an advantage you used to enjoy can feel like punishment, even while you still enjoy other advantages.
1/4/2017 9:02 PM (edited)
Posted by shoe3 on 1/4/2017 9:02:00 PM (view original):

That's a 2.0 mindset. That's not the game anymore. You don't "worry about" other teams. 3.0 is about prioritization, pick the best guys you can have a shot with, and roll for them. Try and find other guys you don't have to fight for to fill out. If you shoot too high on your plan Bs, you end up dealing with your NMSU boners trying to pick them off. That's how it works in a commodity game. That's the only rational way to set it up, as long as recruiting is primarily based on effort.

Important to note here, prestige is still huge. It has not been "neutered". That's hyperbole. The advantage isn't self-perpetuating anymore, which is why some people feel it's "punishing success". But that's a misperception based on perspective. Losing an advantage you used to enjoy can feel like punishment, even while you still enjoy other advantages.
I don't understand how that's a 2.0 mindset. Let's say first cycle I go in on a guy and a coach at a B6 school goes in on a guy. In 2.0, I back off immediately and B6 coach knows he's safe and moves over to other targets. In 3.0, B6 coach knows he might have to invest a significant portion of his recruiting budget to beat me. Hence, he needs to worry about me if I keep coming after him and can't just go snatch up a bunch of other highly rated recruits.

Also, I like your use of "roll for them". Not sure if that was meant as a pun or sarcasm but I liked it anyway.
1/4/2017 9:04 PM
Posted by Benis on 1/4/2017 9:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 1/4/2017 9:02:00 PM (view original):

I don't understand how that's a 2.0 mindset. Let's say first cycle I go in on a guy and a coach at a B6 school goes in on a guy. In 2.0, I back off immediately and B6 coach knows he's safe and moves over to other targets. In 3.0, B6 coach knows he might have to invest a significant portion of his recruiting budget to beat me. Hence, he needs to worry about me if I keep coming after him and can't just go snatch up a bunch of other highly rated recruits.

Also, I like your use of "roll for them". Not sure if that was meant as a pun or sarcasm but I liked it anyway.
"Roll for it" was intentional, and not a pun. As in, I'll roll with you. Are you going to prioritize him, or not? That's the only question. The Big 6 team, in your example, may not worry about you, may decide how he wants to play it, may plant a flag right away, may hold back and come from behind. Lots of options. But if he doesn't put forth any effort on a guy whose obviously going to get interest from other teams, he's not going to get him. The 2.0 mindset is that you scared off (or were scared off by) other teams once a flag was planted. The game doesn't work like that anymore. The question is whether you have overshot your plan A, or if the big 6 has overshot his plan B.

ETA - "RNG with you" may be more accurate, but is clunky prose.
1/4/2017 9:20 PM (edited)
I thought roll for them was a dice roll joke.

and I don't understand your point still, sorry. I really am trying.

I just gave you the example about how I'd be scared off in 2.0 and not anymore in 3.0. You then gave the example back to me so I'm confused. I'm aware it doesn't work like that anymore and that's why I gave that example scenario which explained the differences.

maybe I'm just walking on air tonight and drunk with happiness because Cuse finally beat a team that wasnt a mid major.
1/4/2017 9:19 PM
It is a dice roll joke, it started among a few of us in beta.

The point is, Big 6 teams don't need to worry about all other teams now. They need to worry about how they've prioritized their recruits. When you accept that other teams aren't - or at least don't need to be - scared off by your mere presence in a battle, you focus on the fact that your A prestige means a lot, and if this is the guy you want, D boners can't fight you for him. But if he's not a guy you're interested in rolling for, then you assess whether or not you can reasonably expect to get him without a fight. Maybe you can, maybe you can't, but you should have a number of these guys you're watching, if you're playing by the "go all in on max number" strategy. That's why I say if you play that way, you have to be ready to move on if another team looks like they've prioritized him, and are willing to go all in. That's is the natural and reasonable consequence in a commodity game. If someone values the commodity more than you do, they'll be willing to spend more, and so can get the commodity even if they don't have your resources or advantages.
1/4/2017 9:31 PM
“I don't think my D3 teams should be able to recruit talent that a D1 team would want.”
And they can’t … not any talent a D1 team wants.

“But they now need to worry about me and my D prestige NMSU team because I can now beat them. They can't just coast along. I think we all agree on this right?"
Nope, swing and a miss again. One would think that someone who posts so often and pretends to be an expert like you would know these obvious things. D3 or D2 ONLY get talent that D1 passes on. Period. It is good that you started listening to guys like shoe3 who have the patience to explain these things to you over and over. I admit that I don’t have that kind of patience for someone that I feel hasn’t earned it.
1/4/2017 9:45 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 1/4/2017 9:45:00 PM (view original):
“I don't think my D3 teams should be able to recruit talent that a D1 team would want.”
And they can’t … not any talent a D1 team wants.

“But they now need to worry about me and my D prestige NMSU team because I can now beat them. They can't just coast along. I think we all agree on this right?"
Nope, swing and a miss again. One would think that someone who posts so often and pretends to be an expert like you would know these obvious things. D3 or D2 ONLY get talent that D1 passes on. Period. It is good that you started listening to guys like shoe3 who have the patience to explain these things to you over and over. I admit that I don’t have that kind of patience for someone that I feel hasn’t earned it.
Hahaha.

silly potato.

NMSU is a D1 team. And I have already beaten two B6 teams for 4 stars with my D prestige boners.

one of these days I'll earn the potato's respect. One of these days....
1/4/2017 9:50 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...13 Next ▸
'A' Prestige D-I Loses to D-II -- Both Very High! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.