Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 9/25/2014 4:54:00 PM (view original):

I've already made that argument.  

So has everyone else. They are very, very similar.
9/25/2014 4:59 PM
A fairy tale ending for the captain.
9/25/2014 10:28 PM
One of the all-time greats, no matter what anyone says.
9/25/2014 10:34 PM
Posted by The Taint on 9/25/2014 10:34:00 PM (view original):
One of the all-time greats, no matter what anyone says.
Yeah. He's a hall of famer. No one is arguing that.
9/25/2014 11:13 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/25/2014 4:47:00 PM (view original):
IOW, don't compare Jeter to ANYONE who isn't going in on the first ballot.    At least not with any sincerity.    It makes you look dumb.
No, you're the one who looks dumb.

You're responding to a discussion that started with the statement "if Jeter is drafted by Houston he's Craig Biggio" with the argument that you can't make that comparison.  Then you admit that they're statistically similar.
9/26/2014 1:02 AM
Looking at a list of 1st ballot Hall of Famers, I think Jeter would be 3rd worst. Ahead of only Ozzie Smith and Kirby Puckett.
9/26/2014 2:21 AM
Nah.

I'd take Jeter over Glavine, Molitor, Winfield, Ryan, Carew, Ernie Banks, or Jackie Robinson.

Maybe Brooks Robinson, Brock, Kaline, and Eck, too.  And I've already said that I think he's basically a push with Ripken.
9/26/2014 2:33 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 9/26/2014 1:02:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/25/2014 4:47:00 PM (view original):
IOW, don't compare Jeter to ANYONE who isn't going in on the first ballot.    At least not with any sincerity.    It makes you look dumb.

You're responding to a discussion that started with the statement "if Jeter is drafted by Houston he's Craig Biggio" with the argument that you can't make that comparison.  Then you admit that they're statistically similar.

We're talking about HOF probability.   Jeter is a first ballot lock.   Biggio has been kept out by a "crowded ballot".     Do you think anyone is going to say "Jeter would be in already except for the crowded ballot"?   If not, maybe it's time for you to STFU.
9/26/2014 6:51 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 9/25/2014 2:37:00 PM (view original):
I'd put Biggio in the HOF.
The first mention of Biggio.

Note the "HOF" part. 
9/26/2014 6:55 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/25/2014 4:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 9/25/2014 4:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/25/2014 3:59:00 PM (view original):
I was just using OPS for Jeter being "better" in the playoffs than the regular season.    But, if you want to argue AVG/OBP was slightly lower while SLG was considerably better, I'd say you're making my point.    Nonetheless, the point stands, IMO.

Agreeing with burnsy, 185 PA is 1/3 of season.    It's not a career but Biggio's post-season numbers are waaaaay off. 

Finally, "retarded" was simply used to aggravate people.   Seems like you'd know by now that exaggeration is part of internet arguing.    Biggio/Jeter are similar enough but one is a HOF lock while the other needs "an argument to be made" for inclusion.   That's where the comparison becomes something slightly less than "retarded" but still somewhat "silly".
If you need an argument made to you for Biggio in the HOF then maybe you're somewhat silly.  I'm fairly certain that without ballot crowding he'd be in by now, but he should have been first ballot.

Statistically, he is the most similar player to Jeter in the history of the sport.  I don't really care about reputation.  If you want to argue that nobody in the history of baseball is a fair comparison to Jeter, or even less than "silly," fine.  But I think it's an absurd argument.  Jeter wasn't good enough to be above comparison.  In terms of HOF candidacy, as I said recently, I have him 6/7 on the all-time SS list.

1. Wagner
2. Vaughan
3. A-Rod
4. George Davis
5. Larkin
6/7. Jeter/Ripken

LOL.  So much to mock, so little time.

Do you think "ballot crowding" will keep Jeter out?
Did I miss the memo where you joined BL as the HOF committee and owner of everyone's opinion?
Finally, if YOU have Jeter 6th or 7th, I guess that settles it.

TEC, CLOSE DOWN THIS THREAD!!!!  DAHS HAS SPOKEN!!!!
Even you mentioned HOF in your first response to my post.    Do you even know what we're discussing?
9/26/2014 7:07 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/25/2014 2:35:00 PM (view original):
If Jeter plays 20 years for the Astros, he's Craig Biggio. He struggles to get in the Hall and Mike calls him a compiler.
Actual first mention of Jeter.
9/26/2014 9:50 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 9/26/2014 9:50:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 9/25/2014 2:35:00 PM (view original):
If Jeter plays 20 years for the Astros, he's Craig Biggio. He struggles to get in the Hall and Mike calls him a compiler.
Actual first mention of Jeter.
This.  You've been trying to change the discussion the whole time, but that's really not my problem.
9/26/2014 12:33 PM
A) I don't read BL's nonsense.
B) Were these not your words " I'm fairly certain that without ballot crowding he'd be in by now"?

So, if you let me "change the discussion", don't get your panties wadded when it doesn't go your way.

Now, answer this:   Do you think anyone will be saying "If not for the crowded ballot, Jeter would be in already"?     Don't be a *****, answer the question. 
9/26/2014 12:57 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/26/2014 12:57:00 PM (view original):
A) I don't read BL's nonsense.
B) Were these not your words " I'm fairly certain that without ballot crowding he'd be in by now"?

So, if you let me "change the discussion", don't get your panties wadded when it doesn't go your way.

Now, answer this:   Do you think anyone will be saying "If not for the crowded ballot, Jeter would be in already"?     Don't be a *****, answer the question. 
Doesn't matter. The point is that Jeter and Biggio are incredibly similar. If Jeter had been drafted by the Astros instead of the Yankees, you'd be calling him a compiler.

But, please, ask the same question again. I know you love it when other people do that.
9/26/2014 1:26 PM
Jeter > Biggio by almost all metrics.  Not by much, but still slightly better.
9/26/2014 1:35 PM
◂ Prev 1...86|87|88|89|90...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.