MLD World Thread #2 Topic

Quote: Originally Posted By onekrazypuck on 1/22/2008

Then beginning in Season 11, goalies have a 200 TOI limit and/or 300 TOI limit if they are FP.
I'm in with the 200 TOI also, but I'm not sure I agree with the rule put in play from beginning of season 11. Then goalies we have on a 360 TOI career plan will need to retire if they sit above 200 TOI atm. I think we should have more than 2 seasons to adjust to the new regime. This is a major change - let it be from season 13, and into the next GM contract period I say...
2/1/2008 4:35 PM
If 200 TOI from start of season 11, I need to change my season strategy right now... so if this is in fact already decided – and not still in discussion - we need a confirmation asap.
2/1/2008 4:41 PM
No decision has been made yet. Hell, we haven't even come close to voting. This is all my fault, I just like to yap too much.
rammers, as I said in my earlier post, before I started playing in this league I thought it would be badass to nail down a #1 goalie and have him be my personal Martin Brodeur. I think we've all realized through the gameplay that there's simply no need for that approach; so as you say, just rotate and extend careers. I'm the only owner who's retired a goalie and that was a personal decision... I wanted to max him out, see what he could do, and get rid of him. Never for a second did I think I should keep him around because my team might really need him.
On a bright note - the many viewpoints expressed here remind me of one thing. The lack of a clear demand to do something immediately still shows that we have a good overall product that is working the way we want it to.
2/1/2008 6:33 PM
I think we need to come to a resolution on the issue. And quite frankly, it's never going to happen through democracy. We need to set a time to have a definitive straw poll with the three major options (shorten TOI maximum, limit # of goalies, do nothing), and once everyone puts in an official opinion, okp should make the final decision. He's the commish, and even though some of us are vocal in our support for and opinions on this league, it's him that started it all up and carries the privilege/burden of making the final call. We owe it to abide by it whatever it may be.
Let's just do it sooner rather than later so we can all make our plans as need be.
2/1/2008 8:32 PM
That's the point with this thread damag, it can be yap or whatever, I think having GMs with something to say makes the league more interesting. I also where thinking getting my hands on a 70+ games goalie, but I was not so lucky with the stamina draw to start with. And the goalie draft pool quality have been very limited, if you don't have had such a poor season, that you could pick a really good one early in round 1.
True and I agree yogs. In the end it's all up to okp. Having a poll or not, we need to have a ruling if anything is to change with thelength of the goalies careers. For sure, we should all abide by it regardless. But like I tried to say also, we need a final call sooner rather than later. But I also like to say again, that I think a massive and forced retirement of all 200 TOI goalies by the end of season 10 - all so far managed with 360 TOI in mind, is way too quick for my taste.
2/1/2008 9:39 PM
I think there should be a vote on the TOI reduction as well. So far it seems like I'm a minority, but I like to do things the old fashion way & have one #1 goalie & play him as much as I can. Now I know that Lacroix, because of the existing rules, was able to become a 100/100 goalie & log a ton of minutes the last 3 seasons. I know that with the reduction, it will be tough to play goalies more than 70 games a season.
But in the first 4-5 seasons, my #1 goalie would log between 25 to 50 hours. Which means if he averages 40 hours a season, he would be gone in 4-5 seasons. If we changed the TOI to 240 or 250 TOI, owners who like to ride a goalie like half the NHL teams do, could still get 6 seasons out of their goalie & those who warehouse/split the time to 25 to 30 hours a season would get 8-9 seasons out of their goalies, which is very similar to the way our skaters are retiring.
Either way, I'm for a TOI reduction. We can't have D-dmen & Goalies at a 100 rating on a regular basis in our league.
2/1/2008 10:27 PM
I can just see it now, everyone's goalies retire and then the scoring gets jacked up to season 1 levels. Then everyone complains that the goaltending sucks.
Why not do something like this; goalies have a 6 season limit regardless of number of games played, and they can't be FP.
2/2/2008 12:01 AM
I haven't addressed it before, because I think it's just a number that okp threw out there, but 200 TOI is too low IMO. As for where "the goaltending sucks", you all may have different experiences, and mine is limited, but I kind of guess that the "line" where a goalie goes from not good enough to good enough is somewhere around 65 saving.
Now I'm the one who originally advocated that there should be more drafting of goalies in the first place, but rammers also has a valid point, I don't think anyone wants to be in the position of having to draft a poor goalie and being forced to play him.
Although that also happens in real life... Tampa Bay Lightning, anyone? And I see no trading of and for goalies in this league, because no one needs to. Perhaps under new rules, a guy might feel like he should try to trade for a goalie once in awhile.
2/2/2008 9:48 AM
I'm taking all these discussions in a trying to come up with something that will get approval from everyone.
I agree 200 TOI may be a little on the short side. I'm trying to think of another easy number that we could work with. Perhaps 240-250 with FPs getting 340-350.
I also kinda agree that making this goalie TOI change go into effect after season 10(starting in Yr11) may be too short of a notice for GMs to prepare for it...... perhaps the end of Yr11 and to start Yr12 would be better as it would give every team 3 entire seasons(2 + remaining games this season) and 3 drafts to ready themselves for it.
This is a touchy topic that, like I said before, I am hoping everyone will be satisfied with whatever decision is made. As with many of the previous and/or on-going MLD issues, everyone seems to have a preference or suggestion... making it virtually impossible for me to please everyone. As Yogs said, it is my burden(not priviledge) to make these decisions.
My only hope and goal remains the same as it did when I put this wholeidea of the MLD together and that is to make it so that the MLD continues to be a fun, challenging and unique experience for all of us participating. Any changes that are and are not made will be league-wide so we will all have to deal with it at the same time.
We have a very unique league/dynasty which is aiming to be similar to the real thing. And just like the real thing, changes are sometimes needed to improve things..... whether the fans agree or not. Just like the pros though, if we make changes that don't work, we can always re-visit them at a later date.
I will make a final decision soon, within a week..... just want to make sure everyone has a chance to voice their 2 cents as your collective concerns are my concerns as well.
2/2/2008 10:16 AM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
2/2/2008 10:52 AM
240 is way too low ... I'm not likely to comment too much on this issue ... many of you seem to have your mind set on the issue on won't be moved.
I dislike the 6 season rule for skaters (so, no rammers I don't think we are all agreed). I would like to have my high-end players have high end 12-15 year careers, but for whatever reason we kneecap them at 6 seasons. Player careers need to be longer, not shorter.
Goalies were the one position where we could have players have extended careers, but NO MORE!!!! Now if someone wants to have a bonafide starting goalie (playing ~60 games/year) they are only going to be around 4 or 5 seasons? That sucks.
2/2/2008 11:22 AM
smeric, I understand your position. But longer careers... let's say we did that, what would we end up with?
Almost every starting player on every team having ratings over 70s and 80s across the board, with six defensemen 90+.
Which would leave no reason to develop players for the future. Who would spend time developing players with 40D (which I am currently being forced to do).
So then, why have a draft? You'd draft six players, keep maybe the top two, and never play them until you were forced to. You'd have really nice prospects in the minors, but you wouldn't be playing them. Or, you'd be warehousing absolute monsters, building a deeper and deeper roster, but it wouldn't give you any competitive advantage because everyone else could do the same.
Sure, we all like having a stable roster. It's really nice to be able to send your best out for every game. But given what we've seen about how these players work in the sim... and even if we changed the version of the sim we're using, I don't suspect this would change... we'd be looking at ongoing seasons of 2-1 games.
I'm not someone who has his mind set on this issue and won't be moved. Player turnover is something I came into this league understanding that the league was designed for.
2/2/2008 12:10 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
2/2/2008 12:32 PM
As I figured. But why say it's not realistic? I always compare this to Canadian junior hockey. You're allowed to play from ages 16 to 20 - that's it. Most 16-year-olds aren't physically mature enough to play, they don't see a lot of ice time, but then you get the occasional Crosby, Tavares, Gretzky or Lindros. Each team gets a roster exemption for two overaged players, but many only use one or none at all.
Teams rebuild, replace, revamp their rosters continually. As a manager you have to keep an eye on your depth chart. Guys get traded simply because they're getting older and the team needs to get younger.
All I'm saying is, it sounds pretty familiar to me.
2/2/2008 1:08 PM
I love this league and the rich discussions will only make it better. Thanks to all of those who work on this as I am along for the ride and enjoying it. I will be good with whatever decision is made as I am sure OKP will factor it all in before deciding.
All the decisions that have been made since Day I have been in the best interests for all. Thanks to all that work so hard on this!
2/2/2008 2:14 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...63 Next ▸
MLD World Thread #2 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.