Round 2 Themes, 2020 Topic

Variable Cap: Loyalty Doesn't Pay
Start with 70M and pick a real team (i.e. 1927 Yankees). For every player you twist to a season on the same franchise, you lose 3M in salary. For every player you twist to a season on a different franchise, you gain 2M in salary.

There is no minimum or maximum number of players you must twist. Not twisting a player (i.e. using 1927 Babe Ruth) has no impact on your salary cap.

Other Specifics
Seasons: All
DH: No
WW: No
AAA: No
Trades: No
Clones: No
Injuries: Turned On
Multi-team players: No restrictions (i.e., you can use partial or combined)
Ballpark: Use the park that your base team played in
300K Exception: No
Team Name: Reference your base team
Division Alignment: Random
7/19/2020 9:33 PM (edited)
70M Q&A

Q: How are combined seasons handled if the guy was partially on your base franchise and partially not?
A: The combined season that's from a different franchise will give you $2M and the combined season that's from the same franchise will cost you $3M.

Q: I'm assuming there is no miminum for real life PA or IP on the base team. Is that correct? (ie: If a guy had one AB for your team that year, you can twist him)
A: Correct
7/28/2020 3:29 PM (edited)
$90M: To Whiff or Not To Whiff?
You must build a team that meets one of the following sets of criteria:
  1. All of your pitchers have a K/9# > 7 and all of your hitters have a SO/100AB > 12
  2. All of your pitchers have a K/9# < 3 and all of your hitters have a SO/100AB < 4

Other Specifics
Ballpark: No restrictions
Team Name: No restrictions
7/19/2020 9:32 PM (edited)
90M Q&A
7/19/2020 9:28 PM
$110M: Progressive / Regressive, pt. 2
Your team must be entirely made up of the same 25 players that you used in the 110M theme in Round 1, + or - X years. X must be the same for all players on your roster. There is no requirement that all of your players go in the same direction (i.e. +X years or -X years) — you can have both.

Other Specifics
Ballpark: Use the same park you used in Round 1
Team Name: No restrictions
7/19/2020 9:28 PM
110M Q&A
7/19/2020 9:29 PM
$120M: Schoolyard Pick
The top 2 owners from Round 1 will be captains for an 11 round snake-draft where they alternate picking one owner at a time. The top 2 will be in separate conferences. When they select an owner they can choose to place them in their own conference, or the other one. They must also specify which division the owner will be in when they select them.

Then, in order of selection (first pick goes first), the owners in each conference will get to draft 4 players each who no one else in their conference can select. Selecting a player means all seasons of that player are off the board.

Other Specifics
Ballpark: Use a park that one of your 4 exclusive players played in
Team Name: Reference the # you were selected in the original draft
Division Alignment: Decided by the two captains
7/19/2020 9:35 PM (edited)
120M Q&A

Q: Does the first owner picked get to select all 4 of his exclusive players at once, then the secnond owner picked gets to select his 4 exclusives, and so on? Or is it one player at a time until everyone reaches 4 players?
A: All four at once.

Q: Do the captains pick their players first or last?
A: Last.

Q: When you say, the captain can specify which division they are in, I assume you mean "East", "Central", "West". What division are the captains assumed to be in? Or do they default to whichever division is leftover?
A: Yes, I am referring to "East", "Central", "West". Captains will default to whatever spot is left in their league (National, American).

Q: The owner who is picked first selects his four exclusive players. The owner who is picked second gets to see the four players he cannot take, so now he takes his four exclusive (different) players. Now the owner who is picked third knows he cannot select those 8 players. Does he see who owner 1 and owner 2 each selected? Or just the 8 players? Continue this all the way to the captain, who cannot select 44 players already selected. Does he get to see who each of the 11 owners before him selected? Because division alignment is already determined, it could make a small difference (for example, if I see the 3 other owners in my division have rostered 10 left-handed starters, it may change who I take).
A: Yes, it will be a public draft selection process in the forums.
7/28/2020 3:33 PM (edited)
$130M: Pressure Cooker
Absolutely no restrictions. The best of the best will duke it out.

Divisions will be grouped by Round 1 Final Standings (i.e.1-4 in NL East, 5-8 in NL Central, etc.).

Other Specifics
Clones: Yes
Ballpark: No restrictions
Team Name: Reference who you're most upset about being in a division with
Division Alignment: Based on Round 1 Standings
130M Q&A
$160M: Tough Man Contest
Your team must meet all three of the following criteria:
  • Each player must be from a different franchise (as defined by BBR.com)
  • Each player's last name must start with a different letter
  • You can have a maximum of 1 hitter and a maximum of 1 pitcher per decade (defined as xx00-xx09)

Other Specifics
DH: Yes
Ballpark: Use a park one of your players played in
Team Name: Reference a player you wish you'd been able to draft
7/19/2020 9:30 PM
160M Q&A
7/19/2020 9:30 PM
Don’t look...can’t look...a lot can go wrong in the last 39 games...
7/19/2020 11:07 PM
If I get to Round 2, I'm looking forward to the Pressure Cooker theme. I think that will really separate the top owners (one of which I definitely am not).
7/20/2020 1:10 PM
for 70M, how are combined seasons handled if the guy was partially on your base franchise and partially not? I'm assuming the combined season that's a different franchise is plus $2M and the combined season that's the same franchise is minus $3M, but wanted to make sure.

7/20/2020 2:15 PM
1|2|3...8 Next ▸
Round 2 Themes, 2020 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.