Modified Rule V Draft, 100M Theme Topic

The only thing that went wrong in this draft for me is when tjefferson drafted Jim Thome one pick before mine. That threw my draft plans into a dither. Hopefully my taking JD Drew from his team will make up for it ;-). It's amazing how many sluggardly sluggy outfielders Boston has. Lots of them can hit, not a single one of them can field worth a damn (hence the JD Drew pick...).
10/29/2010 2:01 PM
my only regret is taking nolan ryan with my first pick because I'm having trouble affording his best season. couldve done the same thing with an abundance of relief pitchers.
10/29/2010 2:14 PM
Nothing really went 'wrong' for my draft.  Carlos Delgado got taken ahead of when I wanted him but I'm pretty happy with Dawson in his stead.  My bigger problem was that I overlooked some guys that I may have taken instead of a couple of my choices had I given them due consideration.  I'm very glad none of you took HoJo for nearly two rounds, though.
10/29/2010 2:18 PM
A lot went "wrong" for me, I think starting with taking the Phillies.  I was hamstrung by my late pick in the draft, but still, in hindsight I think there may have been better choices available (Yankees perhaps?).  I sacrificed Utley by protecting Rollins, mostly because I was OK with Samuel or even Polanco, but not OK with Kevin Stocker.  I thought the Schilling, Howard, and Schmidt initial protects were more obvious. 

Getting Lee in the first round was what I wanted, and I expected to lose Utley.  After that, I panicked a bit and protected Halladay when I probably should be protected Abreu.  I didn't have a team constructed where I could fit Dykstra's salary in, so losing him wasn't awful, and losing Rolen didn't hurt with Schmidt already protected.  I figured I'd lose Wagner at some point, and I was OK with that, but losing Oswalt forced me to draft another starter (ironically enough - another version of Oswalt) rather than an OF or reliever.  Then it all went south when Carlton, Cormier, and McGraw were taken.  9 Phillies taken in total, and 5 pitchers, four of whom I had planned to use.  As it stands, my bullpen is going to be atrocious...

Enjoyable draft nonetheless, and as always, very well run and organized throughout.
10/29/2010 2:29 PM
Agreed with shaybee - the first of my problems was having to take a team like the Brewers - there were about 7-10 teams I would have loved to take but they all went before I had a chance........after that it wasn't too bad though other than tjefferson yanking Cal Eldred from me - at least he did it round 3 so I could put a backup plan into motion and take Rich Harden to be my 4A starter (CC Sabathia will be 4B - never used this strategy before).....I was going to take an OF with my last choice but will be forced to use a 580PA Burnitz....I'm not overly excited with this team but they could surprise.
10/29/2010 4:47 PM
I didn't have too many issues with my Dodgers.  I have no regrets protecting K.Brown (230 IPs), Hershiser (240 IPs) and Piazza.  As far as my fourth protect, Beltre seemed like an obvious choice, but wiuth the salary cap at $100 M, I didn't think I could afford his hefty salary, so I went with a third pitcher - Hideo Nomo.  In retrospect, I should have taken Reuss (255 IPs).  I like to have 1000 innings from my SPs, and Nomo's 216 IPs put my in an awkward position for SPs (not enough IPs for 4-man rotation, but too many for a 5-man rotation).

Knowing that I wasn't keeping Beltre, I needed to grab a 3B in round 1.  I would've taken Boggs if he made it to me, but that was a pipe dream.  It came down to Rolen or Caminiti.  I knew the Dodgers would have a right-handed heavy lineup so I went with the switch-hitter (saving almost a million in salary, compared to Beltre)

I gambled on Eric Gagne making it through the first round and was happy to keep him before round 2.

In the round 2 draft, I wanted to stick it to ballantine's St. Louis team (the franchise I almost selected).  I was going to take either Keith Hernandez (A+ range) or Ozzie Smith, but Ozzie got taken and St. Louis was off the board before my pick.  I did want to upgrade 1B so I selected my second most expensive hitter behind Caminiti, with Will Clark (.333 avg, A+ range).

Losing Ozzie meant that I really couldn't gamble on SS, so I went ahead and protected Rafael Furcal (.300, A+ range) this round.

I almost drafted 270-inning Mark Gubicza (KC) last round because Houston was off the board, but in round 3, Houston was still open, so I grabbed the 270-inning Joe NIekro to plug up the innings gap that Nomo caused.

At this point, I didn't have a pressing need since I could afford to lose just about anybody and still be ok, so I protected the player most likely to get stolen from me (Hong-Chih Kuo).  The one exception was that I didn't want to lose defensive wizard Orlando Hudson (2b).  He didn't get selected, whew.

The last round was a freebie.  I didn't really need anything.  The Dodgers have all kinds of depth at RP and I'm not even using studs like Niedenfuer.  With only 956 innings from my SPs, I decided to grab a guy who I like to use in relief, but can spot start him when necessary... One of my favorites, the Houston split-season version of Randy Johnson.

As far as the rest of the team goes, my outfield is filled with bad-fielding, good-hitting Dodgers (M.Ramirez, K.Gibson, P.Guerrero).  I ended up downgrading Mike Piazza (.346, 36 HRs in 535 PAs) for salary cap purposes.  The pitching staff rocks and the A+ range infield should help me lead the league in ERA. 
10/29/2010 4:59 PM (edited)
Nobody took my guys. I'm pretty sure that means my team sucks.

I really wanted Eric Gagne, and was all set to take him with my Round 2 pick until schwarze protected him. Settled for Billy Wagner. I also wanted Will Clark, who schwarze stole from me again.

10/29/2010 6:05 PM

After finding out I would pick 18th and looking at the first 7-8 teams chosen, I was hoping to get the Phillies. As it turns out, I may be glad that I didn’t (thanks shaybee!) I had looked through several teams and almost took the Yankees, but figured they would get picked clean. I looked at the Twins and thought that after protecting 4,  I may not lose but a couple of players if lucky. I only lost one. The downside??? I’m still stuck with the Twins.

The draft for me could have gone better, but part of it was my own fault. In the 2nd round, I had a short list of 3 players…but I had to leave and would be back in plenty of time for my pick at 3. But I forgot that was EASTERN time. I live in the central time zone. I got home at 2:15 (my time) and logged on, realizing my mistake….and panicked. My time slot was almost gone and my 3 guys had been selected. Duchscherer came up and I selected him. Not a bad pitcher, but not as many IP as I needed.

Getting Betancourt in the 3rd is a major help to my bullpen, as he will make a great 1-2 punch with Nathan. Mark Prior wasn’t exactly what I wanted, but was about as good as I could expect with 200+ IP left in the 4th round.

I had to take less than the best seasons from Puckett, Knoblauch, and Mauer in order to leave at least decent seasons from the rest of my lineup. Other than Puckett, my outfield is pretty weak…as is 3B.

I’m not sure if this team will contend for a playoff spot or not. Almost all of my pitchers are prone to give up the long ball. Here’s hoping Target Field will help out.

A fun draft!

10/29/2010 6:14 PM (edited)
I think things went pretty well. I might have used JD Drew, but there's a pretty cost-effective replacement who I slid through without protecting and another one who I did protect. The plan all along was to draft an A+ arm catcher in the fourth if I wasn't going to use Javy Lopez, so I didn't care at all about losing McCann.

Unlike others, I didn't think there was going to be a big issue drafting late. And indeed, although I admittedly would have taken Wade Boggs had he been available, I don't think there's a huge difference in value between Boggs and Olerud at the end of the day, especially with Jim Thome in the next round to man third.
10/29/2010 6:34 PM
Was glad to only have one guy snagged but that's mostly due to the dearth of talent on the D'backs.  In hindsight, I should have protected Hudson before Williams because I always could have taken Glaus or Reynolds.  Happy with my hitter additions...A-Rod, Hamilton and V-Mart (all from teams in my division)...Arizona had nothing at SS or C.  Protected three good starters although the hr/9 are a touch high and adding Hoffman will make up for the Hudson mistake.  Rest of the 'pen is only fair and gonna have to use Chad Tracy and Justin Upton but should be OK at 100 mil.
10/29/2010 11:00 PM
I picked Oakland with the last team-selection draft pick, and I'm pretty happy with what they have to offer.  Lots of pitchers picked off through the four rounds, but they're a pretty deep staff; even after Andrew Bailey was snapped up right near the end of round 4, I re-worked the roster with the relievers who were left and ended up with a lower WHIP.  There are five or six unused bullpen arms that would make many of the other franchise's rosters.  I would have loved to sneak Joey Devine through the draft, though...

With terrific range all the way across the infield and two spots in the outfield, I have a feeling hits will be hard to come by in the home park.  I suspect the pitching staff isn't quite as solid as the Dodgers' staff, but I ended up with 1400+ innings, .203 OAV, and a 0.99 WHIP.  With the stud fielding and the pitching-heavy ballpark, they might contend for the league ERA lead.

One thing they won't do, however, is contend for any batting titles.  I'll be surprised if five teams have a lower batting average than these guys.  Walks and homers, etc.  I have a couple of plus bats in the lineup in Rickey Henderson and Jason Giambi, and I protected Eric Chavez to make sure his bat and glove were in the lineup.  I thought about taking Javy Lopez in round 3 (I'm a sucker for his 2003 season), but I couldn't make the salaries work, especially since I could get 35 homers and nice defense from Terry Steinbach for millions less.  As the draft unfolded, I realized I wasn't going to use Miguel Tejada (and apparently, neither was anybody else), opting for a Bobby Crosby/Cliff Pennington platoon at short and draft pick Bobby Grich at second.  Those moves saved me an extra couple million from a Tejada/somebody else middle of the infield, so I was able to pick up much better quality in my bench bats.  Overall the lineup has seven thirty-homer threats and a good amount of walks.  As long as the other team doesn't hit the ball to Jose Canseco, the A's should be able to stay in games...
10/30/2010 11:07 AM
◂ Prev 1...14|15|16
Modified Rule V Draft, 100M Theme Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.