Round 2 Themes Topic

Okay, so just to be clear, if I'm the Indians and I choose to protect Thome, it doesn't matter if I choose a year ahead of time since only one instance of Indians Jim Thome is allowed in the league, correct?  After re-reading the draft summary I realize I was mis-reading part of it earlier.
8/31/2010 7:12 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 8/31/2010 7:08:00 PM (view original):
If we start building a team now for the $120mil league and we have active players on it, will 2010 count towrads their "highest" season (since we'll likely be starting after 2010 stats come out) or are you capping it at 2009?
2010 will count, so if you start working on your team now (bad karma), you may have to tweak a roster spot or two once the 2010 salaries come out.  Plus, you never know if admin will implement another salary change.
8/31/2010 7:35 PM
Well you put the themes out already, so it sounds like you want everyone to start working on them and get bad karma.  Hmm...
8/31/2010 8:42 PM
"Quote post by schwarze on 8/31/2010 10:15:00 AM:
Some of my comments on the them selections:

60M - I thought about making one of the two albatrosses a pitcher, but in a low cap league, most people would pay for the most allowable innings.  Too many of the same  pitchers would end up getting taken.  With two hitters, we should see alot of variablity."

May I just say absolutely excellent theme. Having run a few $60m albatross leagues, I think you'd still have gotten a little bit of variety with the pitchers. I'm pretty sure in the last two I ran there a single duplicated pitcher. In both of those leagues the albatross combined salary minimum was $16m, with a $8.5 or $9m minimum on one of the two. But, I love the two hitter take on the albatross league. Different and challenging. Great league!
9/2/2010 2:50 AM
bump as we start to prep for Round 2.
10/4/2010 10:12 AM
built a team that i really liked for the 120....then realized it is a DH league.  Sigh.  Back to the drawing board.
10/18/2010 9:54 PM
Can I just say that the 60M theme is by far the hardest theme in my 3 years participating in the WISC?

Kudos on putting together a really challenging one schwarze....
10/26/2010 10:51 AM
Actually I think I find the 80m and 90m teams harder to build, myself.  I had a specific plan in store for 60m and found two guys who fit perfectly, everything kind of fell into place after that. 

At 80m and 90m however, I know what it takes to win OLs but they aren't typically filled with 20+ HOF owners.  I feel like there is going to be a lot of overlapping strategy and general team construction so I've been trying to figure out something to give my teams an edge.  I'd hate to end up with a team nearly identical to several other owners and then end up with the worst record of them just because I was the one who got stuck with a random bad performance or two (I'm looking at you, Babe.  Thanks for nothing at 140m buddy).  
10/26/2010 5:49 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 10/26/2010 10:51:00 AM (view original):
Can I just say that the 60M theme is by far the hardest theme in my 3 years participating in the WISC?

Kudos on putting together a really challenging one schwarze....
I thought it was really easy....as long as you only need 1000 IP and 4800 ABs...
10/26/2010 10:53 PM
I just finished my 60M team.  That was painful.  I can't believe I came up with this stupid theme.  I want to throw up.  I hate 60M caps. I just hope I drafted enough IPs and PAs... although I fear that I may not have.  Those who excel in low cap leagues should really pick up some ground on people like me, who don't play low cap leagues.

If you haven't started this theme yet, I would strongly recommend that you start now.  It took me weeks to finish this team. 
11/3/2010 11:16 PM (edited)
I finished it last week after about 9000 builds. It would have been pretty easy if the albatross restriction was a little looser or the cap was just a few million higher, like $63 million.
11/3/2010 11:24 PM
I had a helluva time with the 60mil as well. I think I got lucky because I kind of stumbled onto an idea, which meant that where I ended up wasn't that far from where I started. If I had started somewhere different, I might have never made it.

I've actually been putting off the 90m and 80m themes because I have no freaking clue what to do with them. And I'm worried that if I make my team look too much like all my other round 2 teams then I'll have all my eggs in a somewhat shaky basket.
11/4/2010 9:10 AM
$60m wasnt too bad. just figure a budget for each player and stick to it. don't stop and think about how awful they are. The hard part was doing all the legwork looking up the teammates.
11/4/2010 9:33 AM
for the albatross league, can we use any team they played on (even if it was 1 game, i.e. according to b-r) or only if they have a WIS season?
11/6/2010 7:21 PM
Yes, according to baseball-reference.
11/7/2010 10:12 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Round 2 Themes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.