Round 2 Themes Topic

I don't know what to say about this 60mil theme.....I don't even know what would constitute a good team......I just built one that looks like all the players won't die before the end of the season due to fatigue - so I guess I accomplished that goal...don't know what other goals you can accomplish with this one......
11/9/2010 5:32 PM
As far as draft leagues go, I actually really like the $110M theme, but to me, drafts should almost be uncapped (and the rules should, in effect, limit the cap). In fact, for the $110M draft, all you really have to do is get enough top guys that you can reach the cap, wait till everyone else has made their picks, then fill out your roster with who is left. I only made my first 10 picks, then when I finished out my team, really there was maybe one guy (Ashburn) who I would have wanted and couldn't get.

Basically, I feel that the $110M would have been sufficient as a non-draft theme. Not sure if I'm making any sense, but just my thoughts.
11/10/2010 11:56 AM
I think it depended a little on your era. There weren't a lot of great relievers from 1916-35 that I could see, so those of us in that era had to fight for them. If you had your era to yourself it was a little less important to draft well. Even if you had the modern era there were a lot more options out there.

I actually tried to build my team to the cap rather than just taking the best player available, which I'm hoping will help me a bit.
11/10/2010 1:08 PM
I had a pretty specific plan for the draft going in - I basically built the team that I wanted ahead of time and then tried to plan where each guy was likely to fall.  So I basically had a 110m non-draft team built and just tried to nail that down as the draft went along.  I actually managed to get pretty much everyone I wanted, the big exception being Bill Kenworthy, though I think I may be happier with Cupid in the end.  
11/10/2010 1:58 PM
this 60 mil theme is tough - every time i pick 2 guys - the rest of the position players cost too much, ugh
11/17/2010 2:34 PM
my 90mil team is going to get smoked. i was just setting the lineup and i am really excited about them. that is never a good thing.
11/19/2010 2:12 PM
the 120mil league is much tougher than I anticipated....the pitching is easy but the lineup.....this will be the worst hitting I've assembled at 120mil
11/19/2010 5:21 PM
I would imagine that most teams will still spend around $60M on hitting... it's just that the names of the players will be much different than guys we're used to taking.
11/20/2010 9:48 AM
I've used most of my $120M hitters before, just not often.. The 1910-19 team is the one where I dont recognize half my hitters.
11/20/2010 10:54 AM
Every one one of my hitters is a familiar name, actually.
11/20/2010 3:09 PM
Some thoughts on my teams:
  • 60M - I never play the low-cap leagues so this is undoubtably the worst team I've ever assembled; not enough ABs, TERRIBLE pitching etc.  But, who knows, I'm hopin we're all in the same boat.
  • 80M - Looking at it weeks after first building it my reaction is... lame.  This team looks like a sure sub-.500er.
  • 90M - This was the last team I built and I actually like it.  Wonder what's wrong...
  • 100M - Worried about my pitching and hitting for avg, hopefully they'll hit some HRs at the right time; that's not a strategy I recommend.
  • 110M - I love drafts so this was my favorite team to build.  I think this team can compete but there are plenty of impressive teams.  Need my pitching to come thru.
  • 120M - Thought this was a cool theme.  Built my pitching staff first so they need to perform and then hope to get enough offense for this team to win.
All in all, I guess schwarze did a good job because I don't feel real comfortable with any of my teams.  I've got a lot of people/seasons I've never used.  Will be fun... I hope.
11/20/2010 5:12 PM
I like my $60M better every day. I've upgraded my opinion because everybody else hates their team.
11/20/2010 10:32 PM
I can't wait to hear everybody's thoughts about team building once things get started. 
11/22/2010 4:26 PM
Posted by schwarze on 11/22/2010 4:26:00 PM (view original):
I can't wait to hear everybody's thoughts about team building once things get started. 
I wrote and saved mine awhile ago. I'm starting to forget who's on my teams and why I selected them.
11/24/2010 2:28 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 123
Round 2 Themes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.