Round 2 Themes Topic

Listed below are the round 2 themes for the 2010 WIS Championship.
8/31/2010 9:47 AM
League Name: Double Albatross & Teammates
Salary Cap: $60 million
Level of Difficulty: Hard

Description: You must spend at least 25% of your salary cap on two players (must be position players). Pick two hitters with a combined salary of at least $15 million. The minimum salary of each of these two hitters is $6 million. No other hitter may have a salary over $5 million. Fill out the rest of your main roster (hitters and pitchers over 300K) with teammates of your two albatrosses. “Teammate” means that he played on the same team at the same time of the respective albatross. You can not twist the teammates. Players under 300K are excluded from the teammate restriction.

DH: No
WW: No
AAA: No
Trades: No
Clones: No
Injuries: Turned On
SLL: Not allowed
Multi-team players: No restrictions (i.e., you can use partial or combined)
Ballpark: Your ballpark must have been one used by one of your two albatrosses during the season you selected
300K Exception: Anybody under 300K may be selected.
Team Name: Include the name of your two albatrosses
Division Alignment: Random

Example:  If you select Ruth as one of your two hitters, that means you can draft any players from the 1914-19 Red Sox, 1920-1934 Yankees, 1935 Braves since Ruth played on those teams.  The specific Ruth season you draft is irrelevant in determining teammates.

Ballpark Amendment: In the unlikely scenerio that no park is available for either of your chosen players, then you should use the ballpark in which your player played in, in a season closest to the selected season.
9/16/2010 9:54 PM (edited)
League Name: The Nineteen Tens
Salary Cap: $80 million
Level of Difficulty: Easy

Description: All 25 players on your roster must be from the years 1910-1919.  Each of the 10 seasons (1910-1919) must be represented with at least one player over $2 million. Babe Ruth is blacklisted (otherwise, everybody would have him).

Ballpark: Any park in use during 1910-1919 is eligible
300K Exception: N/A
Team Name: Anything
9/14/2010 12:12 PM (edited)
League Name: TOC Open
Salary Cap: $90 million
Level of Difficulty: Easy

Description: Pick your best 90M team. Standard open rules apply, except no AAA, WW clones or trades. Given the quality of owners here and the cap level, the two World Series teams should have a nice shot at winning the TOC. 

Ballpark: Any park may be used
8/31/2010 9:55 AM
League Name: Modified Rule V Draft
Salary Cap: $100 million
Level of Difficulty: Medium

Description: This theme is borrowed from examinerbb’s long running Rule V league but I’ve made a few rule modifications to even the playing field for all franchises. Each owner chooses a franchise (we will draft the franchises, draft order determined randomly). Each owner will protect four players from your franchise (1980-2010 seasons only) by submitting a list to me via site-mail. (I will send my list to three owners ahead of time.) After all lists are submitted, all protects will be posted and a four round draft will be held. The draft order (in all rounds) is based on the inverse order of the franchise win% from 1980-2010. During the draft, each owner selects one player from any of the 23 other selected franchises (players from unselected franchises are ineligible). No more than three players may be taken from any one franchise in any one round.   At the end of the first, second and third rounds of drafting, each owner will choose an additional player they wish to protect. Each owner will end up protecting seven players while drafting four players. These eleven players must appear on your roster, so no preseason trading. The rest of your roster is filled with players from your chosen franchise. All players protected and drafted must be from the years 1980-2010.

Players are only exclusive within each franchise. For example, up to four different versions of Roger Clemens may be protected and/or drafted but only one per franchise (NYY, Bos, Hou, Tor). Clones are not allowed (i.e., if you own the Yankees’ Clemens, you cannot draft the Astros’ Clemens. However, if you are playing the Yankees franchise and do not protect Clemens (and lose him in the draft), you can still draft a Bos, Hou or Tor version of Clemens.

Multi-team players: Both the partial and/or the full season may be used.
Ballpark: Use a park your franchise called home between 1980-2010
Team Name: Include your franchise name
Division Alignment: Based on franchise winning % (top 4 teams in NL East)
10/19/2010 5:29 PM (edited)
League Name: Silver Anniversary Draft
Salary Cap: $110 million
Level of Difficulty: Hard

Description: This theme will have a 25-player 20-round forum snake-draft (order determined randomly) where every drafted player is unique (i.e., only one Ruth drafted). When you draft a player, you do not have to announce which season you are using. Here's the catch: When your roster is completed, you must have 25 consecutive seasons represented on your roster. During the last 5 rounds, we’ll be selecting 2 players per round. 

Trades: Not after season starts (edited)
Ballpark: Any park in use during your 25-year time frame
Team Name: Include the beginning and end year
Division Alignment: Based on draft order (i.e., 1-4 = NL East, 21-24 = AL West).
10/19/2010 5:25 PM (edited)
League Name: Top Dollar $$
Salary Cap: $120 million
Level of Difficulty: Medium

Description: This is a simple concept but will present a challenge in building a 25-man roster. All you have to do is to pick the most expensive season of all 25 of your players (including your bench scrubs). As you will soon find out, the most expensive season isn’t necessarily the best season, especially when it comes to pitchers. For players that have both hitting and pitching seasons, consider the hitting and pitching seasons to be separate from each other. In other words, you are allowed to use Babe Ruth as a pitcher as long as you take his most expense pitching season. The DH will be used in this league. (No clones, so you can’t take both a hitting and a pitching Babe Ruth).

DH: Yes
Ballpark: Any park may be used
300K Exception: None
8/31/2010 10:02 AM
Some of my comments on the them selections:

60M - I thought about making one of the two albatrosses a pitcher, but in a low cap league, most people would pay for the most allowable innings.  Too many of the same  pitchers would end up getting taken.  With two hitters, we should see alot of variablity.

80M - This theme is pretty vanilla compared to my normal standard of theme selection.  But I have a reason for choosing this theme.  During this era, triples were very abundant and as a result, hitters from this era get short-changed on their triples in the sim.  It's the same concept that modern HR hitters have when facing deadball pitchers.  The difference is that when you put modern HR hitters against modern pitchers, they reach their normal HR totals.  I don't think the dead-ball era pitchers have been adjusted to give up enough triples.  This theme will test this.

90M - Needed another easy theme. 

100M - This is a pretty fun and quick draft.  It's also kind of fun to screw your division mates by taking one of their key players.

110M - This draft will be really challenging.  Similar to last year's chain draft, you're going to have to change strategies multiple times during the draft as key guys that you wanted get taken.  Flexibility will be important. 

120M - Something a little different.  It would be helpful to dig up the salary database file that admin provided last year, at least to help with the scrubs.
8/31/2010 10:15 AM
List your questions below.
8/31/2010 10:15 AM
For the Albatross Theme (hopefully I'll be getting this far):

So if we choose '27 Ruth and '41 Williams as our hitters (salaries off, I know, but just an example), the "teammates" we draft must come from either the '27 Yankees or '41 Red Sox?
8/31/2010 11:28 AM
No.  You can draft any of Ruth teammates from any year, as long as he played with Ruth that year.  In other words, you can select any player from the 1914-19 Red Sox, 1920-1934 Yankees, 1935 Braves since Ruth played on those teams.

Similarly, you can select any player from the 1939-42 and 1946-60 Red Sox (Ted Williams' teammates).

The year of your selected albatross does not matter.
8/31/2010 12:24 PM
for those of us who are outside the cage,  BUt still have a very real chance of advancing.  Do you suggest working on these now or will we have time to complete these after the end of Round 1?
8/31/2010 4:43 PM
For the Rule V draft, when protecting players you are protecting their entire span with that team, right?  If I'm the Indians and protect Jim Thome, I am protecting every Indians season of Thome and not just, say '02?
8/31/2010 6:38 PM
Correct, you can decide to choose any Jim Thome Indians season you wish.
8/31/2010 6:38 PM
If we start building a team now for the $120mil league and we have active players on it, will 2010 count towrads their "highest" season (since we'll likely be starting after 2010 stats come out) or are you capping it at 2009?
8/31/2010 7:08 PM
123 Next ▸
Round 2 Themes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.