2011 WIS Championship - Round 1 Themes Topic

This is where the 2011 WIS Championship Round 1 themes will be posted.  You will build 6 teams, one from each of the following themes.

Post your questions here.
6/1/2011 1:43 PM (edited)
League Name: Single Season Half Team
Salary Cap: $70 million
Level of Difficulty: Medium

Description: Pick a single-season team. You must roster at least $35 million worth of salary from players on that team and you must use at least 8 players (with salaries over $1M) from that team. The rest of your roster must be players who played in the same season as your selected team. That means all 25 of your players will be from the same season.

DH: No
WW: No
AAA: No
Trades: No
Clones: No
Injuries: Turned On
SLL: Not allowed
Multi-team players: No restrictions (i.e., you can use partial or combined)
Ballpark: Your ballpark must have been one used by your selected team during that season.  If not available, use WhatIfSports park
300K Exception: None.
Team Name: Include the name and season of your select team
Division Alignment: Random
6/11/2011 1:17 PM (edited)
League Name: Two Decades
Salary Cap: $80 million

Description: All your hitters must come from just one decade. All your pitchers must come from a different decade. A decade is defined as the ten years from xxx0 to xxx9 (i.e., 1960-69). For purposes of this league, the years 1885-99 will be considered one decade and 2000-2010 will be considered one decade. 

Ballpark: Choose any park in use during either of your two decades.
300K Exception: None.
Team Name: Include a reference of the two decades chosen.
5/31/2011 5:17 PM
League Name: Pitching and Defense
Salary Cap: $90 million

Description: You must spend at least $45 million on pitchers. All position players (except catcher) must have a cumulative “fielding” + “range” numerical total of 20 points or more for at least one position (see below for numerical examples). Batters < $300K are excluded from the defensive requirement. If a player plays more than one position, at least one of his positions (not C or P) must pass the defensive requirement. You can play your hitters at any position you want – so if you want to draft 1991 Tony Phillips (A+/A+ at 2b) and play him in the OF (A / C-), you can do so.

Examples:
A+ equals 12 points
A equals 11
A- equals 10
B+ equals 9
B equals 8
B- or below = not allowed
Examples: A+ / A+ = 24 points (legal), A+ / B = 20 (legal), A- / A- = 20 (legal), B+ / A = 20 (legal). B+ / A- = 19 (not legal), A / B = 19 (not legal).

For catchers, the only requirement is that the arm rating must be A+, A or A- (no fielding/range requirement for catchers). No fielding/range requirements for pitchers. 

Ballpark: Any park can be used
300K Exception: Anybody under 300K may be selected
Team Name: Anything
5/31/2011 5:17 PM
League Name: 4-SP & Teammates
Salary Cap: $100 million
Level of Difficulty: Hard

Description: Pick exactly four starting pitchers who have at least 150 IP/162 each. These four pitchers must be assigned the position “SP” by WIS but how you eventually use them is up to you. The total combined IP/162 for these four pitchers must be at least 950. You may roster other pitchers with the “SP’ designation but no other pitcher (SP or RP) on your roster can exceed 149 IP/162. Excluding sub-300K players, the rest of your roster (hitters and pitchers) must be teammates of these four pitchers (i.e., must be from the same team/season of the pitcher you chose – you cannot twist teammates). Also, each of your four main pitchers must use at least three teammates (hitters and/or pitchers) whose salary is at least $1 million. None of your 4 SP's can have more than 5 teammates over $1 million.

Ballpark: Use a park that one of your four starting pitchers called home during the season that you selected
Team Name: Anything (but if possible, try to get your four starting pitchers in the team name)
6/2/2011 4:57 PM (edited)
League Name: Veteran Player 2-Team Twist
Salary Cap: $110 million
Level of Difficulty: Hard

Description: Pick one player (your veteran) who’s first and last season is at least 10 years apart. Pick any two seasons from that player’s career as long as the two seasons are at least 10 years apart from each other (i.e., 1980 & 1990 are ok, 1980 & 1995 are ok, 1980 & 1989 are not). Using the full rosters of those two teams (check baseball-reference.com for eligibility), “twist” any of those players to any season to form your roster. You must roster the veteran player you chose and that season cannot be twisted so you have to use one of the two seasons you selected. For players who played on multiple teams during the chosen year, you must pick just one of the teams to twist (i.e., Rickey Henderson played for Oak and NY in 1989, so if you choose 89 Henderson, you have to pick either Oakland or New York as your one of your teams to twist). Any player < $300K may be used.

Ballpark: Use the ballpark that your selected player played in during the season you chose for him.  If not available, choose the other season's park.  If neither availble, choose any park he played in between the two selected seasons.  If still not availble, choose any park he played in during his career. 
Team Name:Include the name and season of your select player

Note: The player does not have to have played 10 consecutive seasons.  Also, only one of his two seasons you select must be WIS-eligble (not both).
6/5/2011 10:41 AM (edited)
League Name: Let’s Get Some Hits
Salary Cap: $120 million
Level of Difficulty: Easy

Description: You must roster at least two full-time hitters (500+ PA/162) with real life batting averages of .400 or better. You must roster an additional four full-time hitters with real-life batting averages of .350 or better (this can include additional .400 hitters if you wish). Every remaining position player (over 300K) must have a real life batting average of .300 or better. This rule does not apply to pitchers hitting. The DH will be in use for this league. There will be lots of runs scored so make sure you draft enough innings. (So you need at least six .350+ hitters, with at least two of those at .400+).

DH: Yes
Ballpark: The following parks are eligible to be used.

American League Park (I), Ameriquest Field, Atlanta Fulton County Stadium, Baker Bowl, Bank One Ballpark, Chase Field, Coors Field, Cubs Park, Fenway Park (both), Hilltop Park, Humphrey Metrodome, Jarry Park, Jefferson Street Ground, Kaufmann Stadium, League Park II (1910-46), Memorial Coliseum, Metropolitan Stadium, Mile High Stadium, Municipal Stadium (both), Oriole Park IV, Palace of the Fans, PNC Park, Royals Stadium, South End Grounds, Sportsman Park III (both), The Ballpark in Arlington, Weegham Park, Wrigley Field (Cubs), Wrigley Field (Angels),

300K Exception: Anybody under 300K may be rostered (edited to agree with description)
Team Name: Anything
6/25/2011 5:33 PM (edited)
Great job as always with the themes schwarze.
5/31/2011 5:52 PM
Between this tourney and juice's multitude of tourneys I see I'm going to have to be juggling way too many teams simulteously now ...

Where do I sign up.
5/31/2011 6:06 PM
Schwarze.   I played last year  (my first year) I was ranked 95 and finished 80th,  A real THRILL for me.  I would love to do this again this year, however I'm leaving state for a few weeks.  Can I purchase the gift card and wait to purchase my 6 teams until I return?  I don't want top get behind the 8 ball by doing this.  But I can't afford to purchase 6 teams unless I wait til after my vacation.
Thanks a bunch
6/1/2011 1:46 PM
No problem.  The first roster deadline is mid July.
6/1/2011 8:14 PM
For the $100M theme, does the veteran player have to be WIS eligible in both years you pick? Obviously he has to be WIS eligible in one, or you couldn't roster him, but I'm guessing he need not be in the other. Is that right?
6/1/2011 11:22 PM
That is correct.  He does not need to be WIS-eligible in both years. 
6/1/2011 11:29 PM
Is it fair to assume that the veteran player DOES NOT have to have 10 consecutive seasons, just 2 seasons at least 10 years apart?  Also for the same theme you say the team name should include the year and name of your selected team.  Don't you mean year and name of selected PLAYER?
6/2/2011 2:18 AM (edited)
1|2|3...12 Next ▸
2011 WIS Championship - Round 1 Themes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.