THE TWO MAN BAND - FULL - Round 2 underway Topic

Who is REALLY the best player in the history of the game?

What if one man had to play all eight fielding positions? Would a team full of Babe Ruths dominate if Ruth had to catch and play shortstop? And what about one pitcher? Would you take 3000 innings of a deadballer, or a dozen seasons by a closer?

That's what I asked before the premier season of the Two Man Band league three months ago. Twenty-four owners tried their hand, with spectacular and crazy results. Babe Ruth and Eddie Cicotte did not exactly dominate [they finished 54-108]. Ty Cobb had 3,020 hits ON THE SEASON, hitting .396 as a team, but his teammate Hoyt Wilhelm had an exhausting season to limp home at 58-104. Ted Williams hit well, but no amount of hitting could make up for committing 457 errors at SS and another 386 at 2B for good measure. And when someone drafted Billy Hamilton the immediate response was "He'll steal 1,000 bases!" -- but actually, he stole 2,122!!

So we don't always try out the same players, there is a Blacklist Rule in effect for the league. No one who played in Season 1 is eligible in season 2; any player who got to the playoffs is out of the league for three seasons; and previous champions (Alex Rodridguez and Pete Alexander) are blacklisted for life. The full blacklist is posted below.

The roster rules for this league are absurdly simple ... You only get TWO players (one position player and one pitcher), and you will use 10-15 different seasons for each of them to make your team. The first round of the draft is first come, first served … but the second round is in inverse order, so if you take the first player chosen you'll get the 24th pitcher (or vice versa). Salary cap is set to the maximum possible.

If you want to choose two players who combine for less than 25 sim eligible seasons, you may. But you'll have to fill the roster with dead weight 200k players of my choosing ... iron gloves and poor control assured ... and set them all to rest to minimize the chance that Sparky will look for a bit of variety in a blowout.

I know we will have a bunch of returning owners, and I will give them the day today to make their first draft choices if they prefer. At midnight on the 27th, it's open to all. Here we go again!?
1/26/2011 7:38 AM
Blacklist - for season 2

Hitters:  Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks, Craig Biggio, Barry Bonds, Ty Cobb, *Eddie Collins, *Ed Delahnaty, Hugh Duffy, Jimmie Foxx, *Frankie Frisch, Lou Gehrig, *Billy Hamilton, Rogers Hornsby, *Nap Lajoie, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Stan Musial, **Alex Rodriguez, Pete Rose, Babe Ruth, Al Simmons, *Tris Speaker, *Honus Wagner, Ted Williams

Pitchers:  Babe Adams, **Pete Alexander, *Chief Bender, *Mordecai Brown, John Clarkson, Roger Clemens, Eddie Cicotte, Bob Gibson, *Carl Hubbell, *Randy Johnson, *Walter Johnson, *Addie Joss, Tim Keefe, Silver King, Sandy Koufax, Greg Maddux, Pedro Martinez, Christy Mathewson, Ed Reulbach, Tom Seaver, Frank Smith, Ed Walsh, Hoyt Wilhelm, *Cy Young

* indicates players ineligible for seasons 2 & 3
** indicates former champions permanently ineligible
1/26/2011 7:56 AM (edited)
Players Chosen:  Dick Allen, Wade Boggs, Lou Boudreau, George Brett, Dan Brouthers, Rod Carew, George Davis, Charlie Gehringer, Harry Heilmann, Rickey Henderson, Chipper Jones, Al Kaline, Barry Larkin, Joe Morgan, Mel Ott, Albert Pujols, Tim Raines, Cal Ripken Jr., Frank Robinson, Jackie Robinson, Mike Schmidt, Red Schoendienst, Arky Vaughan, Robin Yount

Pitchers Chosen:  Kevin Brown, Steve Carlton, Don Drysdale, Dennis Eckersley, Lefty Grove, Roy Halladay, Fergie Jenkins, Dolf Luque, Juan Marichal, Andy Messersmith, Ed Morris, Mike Mussina, Kid Nichols, Eddie Plank, Nolan Ryan, Johan Santana, Curt Schilling, John Smoltz, Don Sutton, Jesse Tannehill, Dazzy Vance, Rube Waddell, Joe Wood, Wilbur Wood

Draft Order - Round 2

1.  ejstockman - Albert Pujols & Jesse Tannehill
2.  thaneoffife - Rickey Henderson & Steve Carlton
3.  ratioman - Joe Morgan & Kevin Brown
4.  sveumrules - Robin Yount & Eddie Plank
5.  tjefferson - Tim Raines & Joe Wood
6.  bmbigdog44 - Dick Allen & Wilbur Wood
7.  rmarsh915 - George Brett & Fergie Jenkins
8.  trenchfoot - Dan Brouthers & Kid Nichols
9.  jfranco77 - George Davis & Curt Schilling
10.  pmacuski - Frank Robinson & Don Drysdale
11.  timetoplay5 -  Mel Ott & Rube Waddell
12.  bottomlee - Charlie Gehringer & Lefty Grove
13.  pmars2001 - Arky Vaughan & Dolf Luque
14.  finn2030 - Rod Carew & John Smoltz
15.  fatboydad54 - Harry Heilmann & Johan Santana
16.  DaBallCoach - Red Schoendienst & Dennis Eckersley
17.  thebubbaq - Al Kaline & Andy Messersmith
18.  thejuice6 - Barry Larkin & Mike Mussina
19.  schwarze - Chipper Jones & Roy Halladay
20.  tdoak - Jackie Robinson & Dazzy Vance
21.  barracuda3 - Mike Schmidt & Don Sutton
22.  msheaf1 - Lou Boudreau & Ed Morris
23.  brocktoon93 - Wade Boggs & Nolan Ryan
24.  flakfizer - Cal Ripken, Jr. & Juan Marichal

Sitemail list:  flakfizer; bottomlee; ejstockman; jfranco77; timetoplay5; msheaf1; barracuda3; thebubbaq; fatboydad54; brocktoon93; schwarze; thejuice6; pmacuski; DaBallCoach; finn2030; pmars2001; trenchfoot; rmarsh915; bmbigdog44; thaneoffife; tjefferson; ratioman; sveumrules

2/1/2011 10:23 AM (edited)
Is there a salary cap for this league?
1/26/2011 11:11 AM
I'm in....trying to decide between 3 different guys right now.....
1/26/2011 12:24 PM
In.
1/26/2011 1:03 PM
Posted by DEMarauder on 1/26/2011 11:11:00 AM (view original):
Is there a salary cap for this league?
DEMarauder:  We set the salary cap to the maximum ($255 million).  I don't know if it's possible to get a roster higher than that ... probably not with the current blacklist.  Even Ruth and Cicotte in Season One were under the $255 million.
1/26/2011 9:05 PM
I was foolish enough to try Ted Williams, I'm foolish enough to pick first.  I'll take Juan Marichal.
1/27/2011 12:21 AM (edited)
I would like to play---let me know when to select
1/27/2011 5:16 AM
DaBallCoach:  The head start for returning owners has expired -- I think some of them are reluctant to pick early in Round 1 and wait until the end of Round 2.  You may choose your first player whenever you want.

flakfizer:  Welcome back!  Marichal urges you to think defense in Round 2 -- and he is holding a bat!
1/27/2011 6:29 AM
yep
1/27/2011 10:16 AM
in... waiting for a few more people to pick before i choose.
1/27/2011 3:26 PM
 in player TBD
1/27/2011 8:31 PM (edited)
I will be back.  Haven't decided which way to go yet.

Explain the rule for two players with less than 25 seasons.

If your position player has less than 12 seasons do you have to pick a pitcher with less than 12 also?

1/27/2011 9:36 PM
Im in again.  Let's go with Nolan Ryan - P
1/27/2011 9:57 PM
1|2|3...9 Next ▸
THE TWO MAN BAND - FULL - Round 2 underway Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.