Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

I'm looking at the K/IP rates for pitchers in Ruth and Aaron and they really seem to be pretty low. Only a few starters having anything close to what top pitchers in the MLB have. Anyone have any recommendations on what stats in Hardball lead to good pitching stats?
6/14/2006 11:12 AM
I just wanted to say thank you to all of the people leaving us valuable information in this discussion topic because there are like a million things to get the hang of here :)
Thanks!
6/14/2006 12:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thurrikane on 6/14/2006I'm looking at the K/IP rates for pitchers in Ruth and Aaron and they really seem to be pretty low. Only a few starters having anything close to what top pitchers in the MLB have. Anyone have any recommendations on what stats in Hardball lead to good pitching stats?
You should keep in mind that at least in Aaron, a number of teams were using tired pitchers at the start of the season, so their numbers may not be an accurate reflection of their ratings and their environment.
6/14/2006 1:40 PM
is there any concensus on what number of ml caliber players at the same position one should have in order to feel that your organization is in good shape at that position? i'm thinking at least 3, but i've got no idea whether that's too high or low. pitchers too if anyone has a thought, though my approach is you never have enough...
6/14/2006 3:14 PM
Update on my "Rob Deer" guy.

My player has :

0 Contact
100 Power
18 Right
96 Eye

So far this ST his numbers are :

5 for 11 with 3 homers and 3 walks. OPS of 1.844

Surprisingly, 2 of his homers have been against Righties, where he is 2 for 7 with a walk.

So far i'm pretty excited about him :)
6/14/2006 3:34 PM
Question regarding Positions.

If i play my CF enough at LF or RF, will he "learn" how to play that position, and be eligible for it?

I play in Tacoma, an all -4 in BPF's, so my plan is to get 3 good CF's and have them patrol my outfield behind an all Flyball Pitching Staff.

Is this a good idea? Or will my CF's do bad playing a position "they don't know"?
6/14/2006 3:36 PM
Unlike the MLB sim, players are eligible for all positions. The "primary" position is the position at which Sparky will start the player; "secondary" positions are positions at which Sparky may play the player. That's it.

There is no learning curve. If you want your CF to play LF or RF, simply add those positions (in the Manager's Office, under Player Settings, Edit Player Settings, and click on the player's position).
6/14/2006 4:26 PM
It is all a matter of whether your CFs have the proper defensive ratings. If you try to edit the player's position (as zlionsfan has described above), it will show you the ML average for the defensive ratings at each position on the field. You can change the player's primary position here and add any secondary position you are comfortable playing him at. I have a SS that I changed to 3B but use in a platoon at SS. I haven't noticed any major issues with him playing at the more demanding "secondary" SS position (of course, he has the numbers to play there).
6/14/2006 4:57 PM
During the ST, ive started consistently 3 CF's in my offense with range and gloves of all 85+, but I have not noticed them recieve any "+" scores in fielding.

Any thoughts on this?
6/14/2006 5:46 PM
I've actually had a problem with that in Aaron. Because of injuries and poor planning, I had to move a 3B to SS. His numbers were decent at 3B but not so good for a SS, and he made a fair number of errors - 5 in 4 starts, for a fielding percentage of .875 (he did turn 7 DPs, though). 1 - and 0 +.

range - 65
glove - 70
arm strength - 71
arm accuracy - 68

(edited - had the number of starts wrong)
6/14/2006 5:49 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By havel211 on 6/14/2006is there any concensus on what number of ml caliber players at the same position one should have in order to feel that your organization is in good shape at that position? i'm thinking at least 3, but i've got no idea whether that's too high or low. pitchers too if anyone has a thought, though my approach is you never have enough..

A starter, a decent back-up for emergencies and two guys in the minors who are your future. It's possible to combine the back-up with a minor leaguer for 3 but I feel better having 4.

You can't have enough pitching. Finding guys who will develop the stamina to start is going to be tough.
6/14/2006 6:42 PM
Mike, check yer sitemail.
6/14/2006 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 6/14/2006
Quote: Originally Posted By havel211 on 6/14/2006
is there any concensus on what number of ml caliber players at the same position one should have in order to feel that your organization is in good shape at that position? i'm thinking at least 3, but i've got no idea whether that's too high or low. pitchers too if anyone has a thought, though my approach is you never have enough...

A starter, a decent back-up for emergencies and two guys in the minors who are your future. It's possible to combine the back-up with a minor leaguer for 3 but I feel better having 4.

You can't have enough pitching. Finding guys who will develop the stamina to start is going to be tough.
Oddly enough, I agree with Mike here. It might also help to think about it in terms of YEARS. If you have a great or very good player locked up for three years, you really only need a decent backup and a stud prospect that is projected to be close to that level in a few years. If your good/great player has > 5 ML seasons, you'll probably lose him to free agency next year, so you need to have an immediate filler for next year or an already developed prospect in double-or-triple A or you can trade him now to a contender who needs that one more piece.
6/14/2006 7:14 PM
I agree with you mate but given the number of injuries you can get (my lot of marshmallows are dropping like flies) it might be best to have at least 2 serious prospects for every position and 100 extra pitchers
6/14/2006 7:55 PM
thanks much!
6/14/2006 8:05 PM
◂ Prev 1...31|32|33|34|35...43 Next ▸
Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.