New Coaches Lounge (Perpetual) Topic

I like to play aggresive in this situation. I feel that if I can get a sack or two and then force him to pass in a 3rd and long I can maybe make him punt, or even get 1-3 turnovers a game. If my Offense can score, then it's just about getting 1-2 stops/turnover per game.
8/19/2006 10:40 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By michaeldartt on 8/19/2006

Quote: Originally Posted By rollotomasi on 8/19/2006

OK, I'm going to ask a defensive question - if talent levels and core stats are roughly equal, how do you defend the ND Box (or Wishbone, for that matter) when your opponent does nothing but run, and your primary D is the 4-4? Has anyone seen an appreciable difference between Conservative and Aggressive settings?
I pretty much always use 4-4/Always Run/Aggressive. However, Cravedogg's team was severly undermatched one year in Bryant, in the same situation, and I think he played Very Conservative to upset the defending National Champs.

To add on, it really comes down to depth as well. If they always run and you play 4-4 you beter have at least 8 LB's or you will ware out. This is why I prefer the 5-2. I do not like to carry more than 6 or 7 LB's and the 5-2 allows me to stack up DL players instead of LB's. I do use 4-4 in many of my teams though and I play w/ the setting at aggressive. The only reason I would change that setting to conservative is if I suspected he might try to come out passing instead of his usual running, but I am not sure I completely understand the aggressive/conservative setting enough yet. I don't know if anyone really does.
8/20/2006 3:23 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By drarcher on 8/20/2006

OK, I'm going to ask a defensive question - if talent levels and core stats are roughly equal, how do you defend the ND Box (or Wishbone, for that matter) when your opponent does nothing but run, and your primary D is the 4-4? Has anyone seen an appreciable difference between Conservative and Aggressive settings?
I pretty much always use 4-4/Always Run/Aggressive. However, Cravedogg's team was severly undermatched one year in Bryant, in the same situation, and I think he played Very Conservative to upset the defending National Champs.

To add on, it really comes down to depth as well. If they always run and you play 4-4 you beter have at least 8 LB's or you will ware out. This is why I prefer the 5-2. I do not like to carry more than 6 or 7 LB's and the 5-2 allows me to stack up DL players instead of LB's. I do use 4-4 in many of my teams though and I play w/ the setting at aggressive. The only reason I would change that setting to conservative is if I suspected he might try to come out passing instead of his usual running, but I am not sure I completely understand the aggressive/conservative setting enough yet. I don't know if anyone really does.
The only thing that I understand about aggressive/conservative is more blitzing and going for more fumbles, pass deflections, and interceptions in aggressive settings. I do agree with you that you need LB depth in the 4-4. However, I think you can get away with having 7 LBs. 8 is preferred, but I've had a couple of seasons where I carried 7 and the negative ramifications weren't too bad. 6 or fewer LBs and you will probably be in trouble.
8/20/2006 8:46 AM
I have a rash, and i think it is becoming more irritated every day, what should I do?
8/20/2006 8:48 AM
I should be around a good part of the day with a couple fantasy drafts keeping me at the computer if anyone has recruiting questions.
8/20/2006 12:45 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By michaeldartt on 8/20/2006
Quote: Originally Posted By drarcher on 8/20/2006

The only thing that I understand about aggressive/conservative is more blitzing and going for more fumbles, pass deflections, and interceptions in aggressive settings. I do agree with you that you need LB depth in the 4-4. However, I think you can get away with having 7 LBs. 8 is preferred, but I've had a couple of seasons where I carried 7 and the negative ramifications weren't too bad. 6 or fewer LBs and you will probably be in trouble
I carry 7 or 8 on the teams where I play 4-4, but I never use 4-4 all game. The LB's would ware down. In his scenerio, I would switch to 4-3 or something with less LB's for 2nd and long and 3rd and long. If he is in 4-4 all game against an always run team and only has 7 LB's he will get worn down come the 4th quarter. I guess that also depends on their stamina. Maybe if you are ging to run the 4-4 you should put a little more value in stamina for your LB'S.
8/20/2006 2:41 PM
I'm not copying b/c it's too long, but this is in reply to all the LB talk.

For the past 5 seasons, I've used 4-4 all the time unless a team is in Trips or Shotgun, w/very few exceptions. I've never carried more than 7 LB's. I've only lost 2 games in 5 seasons doing it that way. Last year, it did bite me a little when I had to switch to a 5-2 in some sets when a stud LB went down. However, I didn't really find that to be very effective.
8/20/2006 6:33 PM
i play the 4-4 alot and i pretty much only go with 5-6 LBS. even when i only have 5 LBS and 1 gets injured i still stay in the 4-4.
you cannot have acceptable depth at all positions and still redshirt 3 players, so you have to make sacrifices.
8/20/2006 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plague on 8/20/2006i play the 4-4 alot and i pretty much only go with 5-6 LBS. even when i only have 5 LBS and 1 gets injured i still stay in the 4-4.
you cannot have acceptable depth at all positions and still redshirt 3 players, so you have to make sacrifices.
I only play 6 LB's with the 4-4. It seems to me like you can be very effective that way. It makes me feel better to know that plague does the same thing....
8/20/2006 9:21 PM
I only play 6 LB's with the 4-4 for most of my teams.
8/20/2006 9:45 PM
I try to carry 7 LBs. I can have 4 for the the 4-4 and 3 for the Nickle. I would be nervous carrying only 5 LBs and playing the 4-4 for 50 plays a game. If you don't have a lot of DLs (that would hopefully get put in) I don't think you'll stop the run in the 4th quarter at all.
8/21/2006 11:09 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By smithjd on 8/21/2006

I try to carry 7 LBs. I can have 4 for the the 4-4 and 3 for the Nickle. I would be nervous carrying only 5 LBs and playing the 4-4 for 50 plays a game. If you don't have a lot of DLs (that would hopefully get put in) I don't think you'll stop the run in the 4th quarter at all.

That is my feeling. You can do it as long as the offense switches up and you come out of the 4-4 for part of the game. I would think you would fall apart in the 4th quarter otherwise. I played a team that I know was better than mine, but I noticed they only carried 6 DB's. I ran shotgun all game falling behind in the first half, but came back in the fourth because I knew they were going to fall apart. Granted DB s a more important position than LB, but I would say if you are going to go with 5 or 6 LB's playing all 4-4 have a good deep DL.
8/21/2006 3:38 PM
Question, I took over a team and all practice settings were at zero. I didn't realize this until after the first preseason game. After that game, ALL attributes on ALL players were in the red except for Work Ethic. I thought if you played a game that the attributes would theoretically improve. Would this have not offset the lack of practice? Or, do the players actually not improve from playing a game, but only from the practice that comes w/playing a game?
thanks.
8/23/2006 8:41 AM
Practice settings, and whether a player starts or not, have the greatest impact on a guy's attributes improving. Go ahead and set the practice settings the way you want them, and your players should be out of the red after a couple of more games.
8/23/2006 8:50 AM
It's a big pain, actually, as you move up levels because you have to set that practice plan each time, and if you don't, you are going to keep running into this problem. However, it makes sense because any new coach in real life would have to spend time putting a system in place, so it is expected we do the same thing...

Also, players do improve mostly only after games are played, but most of that is in relation to your practice settings as michaeldartt said, not necessarily the game play itself.

8/23/2006 9:17 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...11 Next ▸
New Coaches Lounge (Perpetual) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.