WKRP Radio (or How to Rebuild a Disaster) Topic

Missing Updates
Sorry I missed the 100 and 120 game updates, but real life has given me severe time restriction that will probably continue through the end of this season. Les Nessman would have reported is that the team is on pace to lose over 100 games and finish dead last in the division, but the fuiture looks bright with some great young prospects at AAA and Johnnie Price pitching like a future Cy Young winner once he gets enough run support that he doesnt lose thos games in which he throws 9 inning and allows only 1 or 2 runs.
9/17/2007 4:40 PM
real life?
9/17/2007 9:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marsrover21 on 9/17/2007real life?

Yeah. annoying isn't it?
9/18/2007 6:47 AM
FINAL SECOND SEASON UPDATE: 54-108
My second season with the Flytraps has ended and it was my worst full season with any HBD team I have had to date. We finished 54-108, dead last.
The good news, on top of the high draft picks, is that my boys at AAA hada great season, although they suffered a tough 5 game loss in the DCS in their playoffs. I should be able to have at least 7 or 8 rookies that will be coming up next season and will contribute significant numbers of at bats and innings. Johnnie Price and Lyle Melhuse both put up very solid pitching numbers (other than W-L due to lack of run support), and I still believe that Lewis Locko will turn into a very good starter. Heading into next season, I may look to add one more starting pitcher through free agency, and maybe add some more depth to the bullpen if I do not have enough guys in my farm (though actually my setup guys this season were all fairly solid).
In sum, next season should be the year that we make our first playoff run. I cannot guarantee a playoff berth by any means, but thre is a ton of offensive talent that is ready to break thorugh to the big leagues next year, and the majority of my salary issues will be resolved ( I believe I will only have one player that will be sitting on a minor league inactive list and earning more than 1 million dollars).
My next update will be sometime after rollover.
10/5/2007 3:03 PM
I missed this thread, C-Wood, and it nice to see that it has resurfaced. Are you going to post more constant updates for next year, with it being the year most of your prospects are breaking in?
10/5/2007 6:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by div1991 on 10/05/2007I missed this thread, C-Wood, and it nice to see that it has resurfaced. Are you going to post more constant updates for next year, with it being the year most of your prospects are breaking in?

Yes, I hope to go back to every 20 games, though I am going away for 2+ weeks in the middle of next season so there will be a big gap in there. I will have some limited internet access but just enough to keep an eye on my teams, not keep this thread up to date also.
10/5/2007 10:23 PM
I have to agree with Div, I do look forward to your updates. Since this is the year that all your devoted readers have been looking forward to I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to give us reports as frequently as you have in the past. Good luck on your playoff run.
10/5/2007 11:05 PM
I remain among the fans of this thread...always entertaining and informative. Year 3 should be like the last month of "24".
10/11/2007 4:14 PM
One day away from rollover. Looks like the league will have 6-8 openings that we will need to fill before the next season starts. Check out jmercer's thread in the Classifieds if you want to join. (ok, go ahead and flame away at me for turning this into a recruitment thread)
10/15/2007 10:16 AM
I'll take the heat for recruiting! World rollover completed - only five spots to fill. Sitemail me if you would like to join and watch the rebuilding from the inside.
10/17/2007 9:40 AM
Bump for request from league mate.
10/17/2007 5:29 PM
bump just to get the thread going again.
10/20/2007 9:06 AM
We are still waiting to fill the final spot in the league. Hopefully we will get that done today and third season posts will start tomorrow. In the meantime, i have been updating my team spreadsheets to eliminate players that retired and to update current ratings following rollover.
10/20/2007 1:32 PM
THIRD SEASON - PRESEASON UPDATE
Today is Arb day in my third season at the helm of the Flytraps. And this is the first season where I believe my team will be ready to compete and make a playoff run, though we will be doing it with a very young roster.
For budget day, I almost went with an identical budget from last season. Coaching at 16 million because the majority of my coaches did not want to be rehired, 16 each for college and HS scouting, 10 in international scouting, 14 in training, 11 in medical, 14 in advance scouting. My only change from last season was dropping prospect budget down from 20 to 18 -- I had extra at the end of last season that I spent of signing roster filler internationals. This leaves my player payroll at 70 million - still low, but I only have 48 million commited for the season.
On resign free agency day, I resigned what coaches I could (my only ML coach to return is my pitching coach so coach hiring will be a royal pain in thass this year) and resigned over 30 minor league free agents (any position players that catch, play a skill position, or have servicable ratings, and every starting pitcher and all relievers with decent STA/DUR combos). I also released a couple of arb eligible guys (Buster Rogers - no furture with the team, and McKay Xavier who played decent for me the past 2 years as a backup catcher but was not worth paying anything more than minimal salary). I also declined Kelly Hill's option and bought him out for just over a million (as opposed topaying him that horrendous 5+ he wanted). I still have a couple bad contracts , but all but one of them is entering its final year this season, and my budget is in great shape to be able to absorb that money this season.
I went 0-for-3 in arb hearings, but they were all guys asking for between 1.5 and 1.7. I now have just over 20 million in player payroll to play around with and free agency starts tomorrow. I am also keeping an eye on the trade market and would be happy to spend my payroll there instead if the right offer presents itself.
Up next -- trade and/or free agency updates as well as a preview of this year's 25 man roster.
10/24/2007 10:13 AM
TRADE UPDATE

Major Breaking news in Cincinnati. The Venus Flytraps have agreed to a trade with San Juan. The 'traps trade away a solid starting pitching prospect Alberto Leucona, starting pitcher Lyle Melhuse (the Rule 5 draft pick that threw a no-hitter in his big league debut last season) and catcher Stevie Bonilla (whose huge bat made him one of the key members of the Fab Five prospects). In exchange, the team gets veteran starting pitcher Julio Fuentes

Fuentes is a 4 time All Star who won 35 games in 2 years at San Juan with an ERA right around 3.75. His is rated 96 overall with a 36/92 DUR/STA combo, an 82 control, 89/84 splits, a 90+ velocity, and 5 pitches rated 82-72-44-65-41. He is one of the top pitchers in the game and suddenly gives the 'traps arguably the best 1-2 pitching punch in the league with Fuentes and Johnny Price.

While Melhuse was tough to lose and the team may still need to look to free agency to fill one more starter role, Bonilla's loss was not nearly as tough to swallow with catching prospect Phillip Powell also ML-ready and offensive monster Eric Murphy one year away. The 4 key members of the Fab Five remain to lead the team offensively, and the team was able to pull off the trade without losing future superstar closer Fernando Navarro.

Most importantly, this trade sends the message to Flytrap fans that this team believes it is capable of winning now, and a division title just may be an attainable goal.
10/25/2007 10:04 PM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15|16...27 Next ▸
WKRP Radio (or How to Rebuild a Disaster) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.