WKRP Radio (or How to Rebuild a Disaster) Topic

RULE 5 UPDATE
I know I am not giving as manyupdates this season as in the past, but not much has really happened so far other then the trade for Fuentes. I pretty much ended up staying out of free agency except for some minor league roster filler. However, with the third opverall pick in the Rule 5 draft I grabbed a very good relief pitcher in Pasqual Viriato. He projects to a 73 overall with good splits., solid control, 2 pitches that are currently 83/62 and project to 93/72, and a 63/41 DUR/STA combo. He fills out the final roster spot in my bullpen.
I also drafted a very good defensive shortstop with a 71 power and decent contact, but lousy splits and a lousy eye. I have notyet assigned him to my team but will instead hold him back for a few days and decide whether he should be sent back or kept. Defense at short will be a liability for me this year and he would help a ton there as a late inning replacement, but I just don't know if I am going to have a roster spot available for him unless I suffer a major injury during spring training.
Up next -- I wil post my projected 25 man roster in the next day or two. Spring training just began today so we have 5 more days of that to getthrough before all final roster decision must be made.
10/30/2007 11:34 AM
SEASON 6 PREVIEW - POSITION PLAYERS
Catcher - Phillip Powell. Powell will get the duties as the every day catcher following the off-season trade of Fab Five prospect Stevie Bonilla. But the team does not expect to leave off too much as Powell is a solid hitter with strong ratings across the board and a good arm behind the plate. He was being groomed by the team to be a backup that saw a lot of action due to Bonilla's low durability, but should now step up and see the majority of the innings (92 DUR). Powell does have 1 prior year of big league service from some partial season but this will be his first season as a regular.
Backup catcher - Javier Mateo. Mateo is one of the few regulars from the past 2 seasons that returns this year. He has spent the last 2 years as the team's regular starting catcher and put up good enough numbers not to lose a job but not good enough to remain a starter. He is also in the final year of a long term contract and what should be his final season with the team.
First Base - While the team is not 100% certain of its choice here, it looks like the job will go to 27 year old rookie Tony Stanley. Stanley has big time power (97), though he will strike out a ton as well (0 contact). There are a couple of younger guys in the system that are in the works for this spot in future seasons, but Stanley has the chance this year to take the job and, if he puts up big enough of numbers, to keep it for a long time.
Second Base - Virgil Rodriguez. One of the former Fab Fivers (now Fab Four), and my first round selection my first season with the team. Rodriguez is not quite fully developed defensively and may commit some errors, but he has a great bat and top speed. He has some pop as well with an 81 power rating, but will probably be the leadoff hitter in the lineup.
Third Base - Marshall Ferrell. While Ferrell may eventually be the team's shortstop, he isnt quite there yet defensively and will play most of this season at third. He has an incredible bat with ratings in the mid 60s or higher currently across the board - all on a 22 year old rookie who should just keep getting better and better.
Shortstop - Ronn Campbell. Campbell is only adequate defensively though he should grow into a defensive gem. He is another rookie, 26 years old, and tears up right handed pitching (but struggles against ies). his ability to play defense and not hurt the team too badly against handed pitchers may be a key to this season.
Utility infielder #1 - Dennis Delaney. Delaney was a Rule 5 pick last season and hit .274 with 20 HR. His defense is still weak but should develop. And he is strong enough offensively to fill in for any of the regulars that may need a day off.
Utility infielder #2 - Mike Nady. Nady has blazing speed and can hit the ball very well. His primary position is second base, and with Virgil Rodriguex having a low durability, fans should expect to see Nady filling in quite a bit this season and leading off as well.
field - Parker Bennett. Another of the Fab Fivers, rookie Bennett has a huge bat as well and should eventually develop defensively into a center fielder.
Center Field - Roosevelt Abbott. The final of the rookie position players, Abbott has a weak glove for center field but has another huge bat with strong ratinsg across the board. He is the final of the "Fab Five" prospects.
Right Field - Matt Kirwan. The only starter from last season that returns in a starting role this year. Kirwan has been the team's offensive lead the past 2 years, but he will not have nearly as much pressure on him to carry the team with the likes of Powell, Abbot, Rodriguez, Ferrell, Bennett, and Stanley with him in the lineup. Each of the past two years he has coime close to 40 HR and averaged just about 100 RBI. That type of production again, given the rest of the lineup, will be huge for this team.
Deignated Hitter - Terry Witt. The oldest player by far on the team (35 years old, no other position players over 30 and only 2 pitchers that are 31). Witt was claimed off of waivers in the offseason and replaces Derrin Wilkinson who played well for the team the past 2 years but has now been designated for assignment. Witt has more pop in his bat and can catch in a pinch if needed. Plus at a one year contract of only 750k, he is definitely worth the money. The team will look to him to provide a level of veteran leadership to all the young kids in the clubhouse. With a low (42) durability, backup catcher Javier Mateo may also see some action as the team's DH.
In all, there is no reason that this roster filled with offensive juggernauts shouldn't be among the most potent in the league, a stark contract to teh past 2 seasons when runs were next to impossible to find (just ask pitcher Johnnie Price who seemed to lose every game 2-1 or 1-0). The youth is bringing a huge level of excitement to the Queen City and home games through the entire month of April are almost completely sold out.
Up next -- Pitching Preview
10/31/2007 10:49 AM
All three of these gents are cast-offs from the Witch burners roster. Good to see they all could hang out for a while.
Catcher - Phillip Powell. Powell will get the duties as the every day catcher following the off-season trade of Fab Five prospect Stevie Bonilla. But the team does not expect to leave off too much as Powell is a solid hitter with strong ratings across the board and a good arm behind the plate. He was being groomed by the team to be a backup that saw a lot of action due to Bonilla's low durability, but should now step up and see the majority of the innings (92 DUR). Powell does have 1 prior year of big league service from some partial season but this will be his first season as a regular.
Backup catcher - Javier Mateo. Mateo is one of the few regulars from the past 2 seasons that returns this year. He has spent the last 2 years as the team's regular starting catcher and put up good enough numbers not to lose a job but not good enough to remain a starter. He is also in the final year of a long term contract and what should be his final season with the team.
10/31/2007 3:45 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By MGreenwell on 10/31/2007
All three of these gents are cast-offs from the Witch burners roster. Good to see they all could hang out for a while.
hmm. let's see here....

1 + 1 =.... 3!
10/31/2007 4:40 PM
cough, Stevie Bonilla, cough
10/31/2007 9:17 PM
you sick?
10/31/2007 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By MGreenwell on 10/31/2007
cough, Stevie Bonilla, cough
well Bonilla is gone, though he will be a stud. Mateo is in his last year. And Powell will probably be mybackup next season when Season 5 first round pick Eric Murphy (who should end up being a better player than any of the 3 former Witch Burners) breaks into the bigs.
11/1/2007 2:55 PM
Eric Murphy

General & Fielding Ratings
EventSeasonHeightWeightOVRAGLASAAPCDUHESPPATPMK
Current-6-220264632655864659626605947
Projected-6-2210856367266717610026785948
Spring Training66-220264632655864659626605947
Batting & Pitching Ratings
EventSeasonCNPWLHRHBEBRBUPPSTCTLHRHVEGBP1P2P3P4P5
Current-518972677051432161000216560000
Projected-69100100968764432181960426700000
Spring Training6518972677051432161000216560000
11/1/2007 2:56 PM
That gentleman does look fantastic. We've got 2 catchers blocking the way of those other guys, which is why we dealt them in the past. Good luck with that kid. He could be an ML all star this year.
11/1/2007 8:26 PM
SEASON 6 PREVIEW - STARTING PITCHING
Spring training is now over (went 9-9, but I don't try to win during ST, just get everyone a fair number of ABs and innings pitched without getting any injuries). Here is my starting rotation for the season:
1. Julio Fuentes - the one major offseason move by the Flytraps, Fuentes' ratings are almost as good as it is possible to get in HBD. The 31 year old starting pitcher is in the prime of his career and there is no reason, if he gets the run support that he is expected to get, that he will not challenge for Cy Young awards during his expected years in Cincinnati. He is under contract through Season 10, so he should be the staff ace for quite some time.
2. Johnny Price - on any other team in the league, Price would easily be the team ace. Instead, he is the second half of what is the strongest 1-2 pitching punch in all of Addicted Users (and I would argue one of the stringest 1-2 combos in any HBD world. I have had a lot of teams with great pitching but these 2 are the best tandem I have ever had). While Price mayhave gone 9-15 last season, this year he will have the run support. He posted a 3.74 ERA last year and that may be good enough this season to let him have a shot at 20 wins.
3. Lewis Locko - Locko has been a real enigma for the team. He has great ratings but has yet to be able to put together a solid season in 3 years in the bigs. He lost 19 games last year and had an ERA that was just way too high. The team is looking for him to have a breakthrough year this season, and if he does have the season managementbelieves him capable of, the Flytraps will be deadly in the regular season, and primed with 3 great pitchers if they can make the playoffs.
4. Paulie Goodwin - a late season acquisition in Season 5, Goodwin is 26 years old and just getting ready to enter the prime of his career. he will get his first shot at being a regular starting pitcher this season and the team is excited about his potential. If Locko struggles, Goodwin may be the guy that steps up and gives the team that third punch behind the 2 big guys.
5. Carlos Morales - Morales narrowly beats out Jason Wright for the 5th and final starting slot. He has shown flashes of brilliance over the past 2 years, but has also shown that he can get roughed up too. He is a solid starting pitcher though and hopefully will pitch well enough to keep the team in games. If he does not, Jason Wright (who threw one of the team's 2 no-hitters last season) is waiting to take his spot.
Up next -- Bullpen Preview
11/5/2007 8:35 AM
This is really great, man, but just one thing, do you think you can post the guy's player cards, or just your team profile at least so we can see the players that you are talking about for ourselves?
11/5/2007 2:40 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By div1991 on 11/05/2007This is really great, man, but just one thing, do you think you can post the guy's player cards, or just your team profile at least so we can see the players that you are talking about for ourselves
http://whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/FranchiseProfile.aspx?fid=2316
11/6/2007 11:09 AM
GAME 1:
Sorry I havent gotten the Bullpen Preview up yet. But they werent needed anyhow in Game 1.
Les Nessman reporting:
Julio Fuentes starts his career with the Flytraps in flying fashion. Fuentes throws a complete game shutout, holding Pittsburgh to only 5 hits and 1 walk. Marshall Ferrell goes deep with a 3 run shot and Virgil Rodriguez added a pair of RBIs as Cincinnati wins the season opener 5-0. catcher Phillip Powell also went 3 for 4 and scored twice in the victory.
Johnny Price will be taking the mound tonight for the second game of the season. With the team's first 7 games on the road, and a couple of extra offdays atthe start of the season, the team has announced that it will in fact go with only a 4 man rotation for the first couple of times through the rotation, thus allowing both Fuentes and Price to get starts in the team's first 3 game homestand. Carlos Morales will be available out of the bullpen during the first 10 games of the year.
11/6/2007 11:15 AM
SEASON 6 PREVIEW - BULLPEN
I am once again going with a 13 man pitching staff, with 8 pitchers in the bullpen. I had considered cutting down to only a 7 man 'pen, but there are a lot of question marks in the back end of my starting rotation, and any of my long relievers can step in and become a starter if Locko, Goodwin or Morales struggle.
Long Relievers:
Jason Wright - This 27 year old rightie is nothing spectacular in terms of ratings, but is nothing awful either. Of course his name will forever be in the Hall of Fame when he surprised everyone with a no hitter last season. However, he is about a middle of the road as you can get for a pitcher, but should hopefully give solid innings to the team and may get some spot starts.
Tarrik Dickson - Dickson is slightly wild and does not have a high stamina, but should be solid for long relief and chew up innings if a starter gets knocked out early. He appeared in 47 games last season posting a 6.71 ERA, and was a bit of a shock that the team brought him back for another season.
Darryl Thompson - Thompson is another average to below average guy in terms of ratings. He will be serving a mopup role on the team though and should be able to eat some innings with a 27 DUR and 93 STA.
Setup:
Tim Hart - This 24 year old rightie was a Rule 5 guy last season who spent much of the year as the team's closer, posting a 4.70 ERA. He moves to a setup role this year and the team expects him to continue to be solid even if he does not wow anyone.
Fausto Herrera - One of only 2 ies in the bullpen, Herrera's ratings are extremely high, with great splits and 3 solid pitches. He also has an 83 stamina. His only drawback - a 0 durability. He posted a 3.58 ERA in setup last season getting into over 40 games, and the team hopes for similar production for him in short (10-15 pitch) outings this season.
Carlos Martin - Martin spent parts of the last 2 seasons as the team's closer, but drops now to a lower pressure setup role. He has had a sub-4.00 ERA the last 2 seasons, but a 9 STA limits his innings (and if it wasnt for a 90 DUR he probably would not have made the team).
Pasqual Viriato - Viriato was the team's selection in the Rule 5 draft this year, and in fact rated by the organization as the top Rule 5 player that was available. He has a 63/41 DUR/STA combo and should be able to pitch multiple innings on consecutive days. He has solid control and splits, and 2 very good pitches. He does still have some progress to make (24 years old right now), so he starts the year in a Setup B role.
Closer:
Fernando Navarro - The only other ie in the bullpen, Navarro has made the jump right from AA last season to the big league team's closer. A current 60, projected 74 overall pitcher, the team's plan is for Navarro to not only close this season, but for many many years to come. Navarro was part of the initial demand in the trade for Julio Fuentes, and management was thrilled that they were able to bring in the big time starter and still hold on to Fernando. Time will tell this season if this youngster is in fact ready for the bigs, as he will be "thrown to the wolves" as the closer on a team that hopes to contend for a playoff spot.
SUMMATION
In sum, fans and management are extremely excited about this season. This team does have its weaknesses, especially in defense up the middle (SS, 2B and CF), in the tail end of the starting rotation, and without a fully developed stud in the bullpen (but tons of projected talent there). There also remains several big time prospects down in the farm system, most notable catcher Eric Murphy and outfielder/1B Bo Tomlinson. The team will in all liklihood be looking to add more starting pitching depth to the minors this season through the draft and internationals. But this team is full of solid players on offense and has two of the starting pitchers in the league. If they can stay healthy, not commit too many errors, and the bullpen pitches well, the sky is the limit for these guys.
11/6/2007 12:12 PM
GAME 2:

WKRP's Les Nessman reports again:

Game 2 of the season is now complete, and the Flytrap bullpen has yet to see any action at all. Johnnie Price throws a complete game, allowing 5 hits, 4 walks, and only one run (a solo home run). The Flytraps did not do much offensively, but a Parker Bennett solo shot in the 6th tied the game at 1 and a Tony Stanley solo shot in the top of the 9th gave the team the lead and victory, by a 2-1 score. In all, Fuentes and Price combined to throw 18 innings and allow only 1 run and 10 hits in the first 2 games of the year, making a huge statement about just how good these two guys are and hopefully will be all season.

Game 3 of the season will see Lewis Locko on the mound.
11/6/2007 7:10 PM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16|17...27 Next ▸
WKRP Radio (or How to Rebuild a Disaster) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.