pitch allocation Topic

Oh, I think I misread what he meant. That makes sense to me
2/22/2019 7:21 PM
Bump
8/11/2019 10:18 AM
bumping this.

Hi all, newbie here, first season in sim league, was pointed to the thread of threads that sent me to here for this topic.

Hi level question before I try to run the formulas here in excel:

Why does simleague not advertise the 10% bonus pitches? They were very adamant in multiple places about setting you your team to have 1500 IP.

Thanks,

Roger
5/17/2020 1:07 PM
I don't know, you'll have to ask them.
1500 IP is way too many, especially at 80M. 1400 is usually plenty, and you'll find experienced owners can get by with less than that...sometimes a lot less.
5/17/2020 1:46 PM
Next question - so how far off is the simleague recommendations for pitch counts in the Advanced Pitcher Settings from these formulas? I just ran the formulas for all my pitchers, and simleague seems to be pretty close.

Example: 1982 Dennis Eckersley by formula comes to 110 P/Game; SimLeague recommends TPC of 100, MPC 110.

Is it ok enough to follow the recommendations, or should I suggest to everyone in my league (we are all newbies), that we run these formulas and calculate it ourselves?

3rd question - is the dropoff a straight cliff? For example, using Eckersely above, does is he fully effective at pitch 110, and awful at pitch 111? or is it more curved, like he would start slipping a bit around say pitch 100-105, and then slip more at pitch 111+?
5/17/2020 2:36 PM
Posted by bucrogers315 on 5/17/2020 2:36:00 PM (view original):
Next question - so how far off is the simleague recommendations for pitch counts in the Advanced Pitcher Settings from these formulas? I just ran the formulas for all my pitchers, and simleague seems to be pretty close.

Example: 1982 Dennis Eckersley by formula comes to 110 P/Game; SimLeague recommends TPC of 100, MPC 110.

Is it ok enough to follow the recommendations, or should I suggest to everyone in my league (we are all newbies), that we run these formulas and calculate it ourselves?

3rd question - is the dropoff a straight cliff? For example, using Eckersely above, does is he fully effective at pitch 110, and awful at pitch 111? or is it more curved, like he would start slipping a bit around say pitch 100-105, and then slip more at pitch 111+?
It varies depending on what type of rotation setup you're using. A more traditional 4-5 man rotation with guys who pitched in 4-5 man rotations in RL will be fairly close, but if you're using guys in a different type of rotation or using one of the A/B rotations, then they're usually pretty far off.

And no, the effects of fatigue can even be mitigated or controlled to certain extents if you understand how it works. I've spent much of my time on here playing around with fatigue and would definitely say it plays like a curve (I describe the model in the thread linked in the linked thread below).

This thread goes over some of how pitching fatigue can be managed: https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=469795
10/18/2023 7:15 PM (edited)
Posted by just4me on 5/17/2020 2:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bucrogers315 on 5/17/2020 2:36:00 PM (view original):

It varies depending on what type of rotation setup you're using. A more traditional 4-5 man rotation with guys who pitched in 4-5 man rotations in RL will be fairly close, but if you're using guys in a different type of rotation or using one of the A/B rotations, then they're usually pretty far off.

And no, the effects of fatigue can even be mitigated or controlled to certain extents if you understand how it works. I've spent much of my time on here playing around with fatigue and would definitely say it's a curve (I describe the curve in the thread linked in the linked thread below).

This thread goes over some of how pitching fatigue can be managed: https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=469795
You can check out the links if you want, but here's a good summary quote: "Seems to show that if you control for the two main variables (HRs and hits) and start with low BB numbers (K's seem to be unimportant, except for maybe increasing the number of pitches the pitcher can throw) fatigue down to the low 80's is negligible at best."
5/17/2020 3:04 PM
Posted by elbirdo on 4/26/2012 3:09:00 PM (view original):
I was looking over this and I would like to update my formula with what I'm using now

I multiply BFP by 3.392 add 4.444 for each BB and add 1.916 for each strikeout.

For Gagne

BFP = 306
BB = 20
SO = 137

3.392(306) + 4.444(20) + 1.916(137) = 1389.24 pitches
His updated formula to what was originally posted on pg 1
6/1/2022 9:19 PM
Bump for savoybg
12/10/2022 10:20 AM
Bump
12/24/2022 3:14 AM
bump
7/17/2023 2:17 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
β€œIt should be noted that the calculations are NOT reflective of what the particluar pitcher may have pitched in real life.”

7/18/2023 7:44 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
β—‚ Prev 123456
pitch allocation Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.