MLD World Thread #2 Topic

Posted by onekrazypuck on 2/24/2012 1:24:00 PM (view original):

Ideas are always welcome.

Another idea we could possibly consider is making it so each team MUST have a full roster for each game, 18 skaters + 2 goalies......but we'd need to also allow a little wiggle room for injuries, like for example when a player gets hurt in the AM game and the GM isnt able to log on till after the PM game. 

Just an idea.

Penalties for undermanned rosters could be docking draft pick skill points???  Though I get the impression many are not in favour of subtracting skill points of any player.  :)

I could shoot down my own idea by pointing out this tweak would be a pain in the *** to police.....
2/24/2012 1:59 PM
Again, let's use the 20+ games rule as a guide.  Simple, clean, direct, easy to understand and live by, easy to officiate.  Never been violated. 

Any future changes have that standard to live up to.  So I'm unlikely to favor anything complicated.

2/24/2012 3:23 PM
I like the idea of not providing the "not making the playoffs" bonus of +3. It seems the easiest and does not give warehoused studs upgrades outside the normal seasonal growth...sorry to not respond as I am out of the country with spotty Internet at best.

I agree with OKP and others on not raising the draftees skill level from current. Seems like the idea to me is to not have a strategy were you miss the playoffs during a year in which you are not "going for it" and have studs receive bonus points. The original thought was to assist teams with less talent get a small boost...the 20+ game rule I like.
2/25/2012 9:39 AM
boy, this discussion dried up quickly.  :)
2/28/2012 8:16 PM
Posted by damag on 2/23/2012 5:04:00 PM (view original):
As okp suggested however, it would be good if the opposite of going for it didn't seem to end up being taking the season off.
If any given team chooses to "take the season off", it is now totally up to them........ I think it won't be so tainted now that they won't get the team-wide +3 non playoff bonus.  That really irked me for the longest time and just didn't seem right to be bumping up 90+ star players.  If anything, it'll take longer for teams to "bulk" up now.......and if they choose to tank seasons and waste away purchased seasons, that's up to them.
2/28/2012 8:37 PM
To be honest, whenever I've missed the playoffs... or it's obvious I'm going to be blown out in the first round... my consolation has always been a better draft pick.  Because IMO when you draft at the end of the first round you are getting totally shut out of all the premium players; it's like drafting in the second round... you don't even put players on your watch list who you know you have no chance of getting.

So when I've missed the playoffs, eventually okp, you've brought up the +3 non-playoff bonus and I've kinda said... "Oh yeah, right.  Whatever, good with me."

That's just another reason I'm against artificially messing with the draft.  As I've stated before, it looks to me like the quality of draft class is random.  We have had a couple of monster draft seasons in my time, there have been a few years when I've kept all six and they all stayed on my team long term.  My current FP was a sixth round draft choice once.  Now we haven't had that kind of a draft in a long time, but IMO that just means we're overdue and it's gonna happen again sometime.

IF you were to guarantee me that a top ten draft choice were to be pumped up into a more studly player... just a little more reason for me to let myself sliiiiiide down the standings, no?

2/29/2012 8:43 AM
SUGGESTION: What about starting some kind of “Competition Committee” say five (5) owners that represent the league, to address the leagues issues. Has this been tried? Honestly guys, by the time I’ve read through 24 comments on an issue I’ve forgotten what the issue was. Your not going to make every owner happy no matter what you do. I’ve tried to follow all the rules and build my team as per the rules and just when I seem to get close someone wants to change the damn rules. For three seasons now I’ve been getting closer, now I have 11 guys ready to retire. I’m personally looking forward to the draft bonuses but, will go with the rules no matter what. My problem is … Stop changing the damn rules just when there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel. (my two cents)
3/3/2012 3:49 PM
Steve, The only draft bonus that got nixed was the non-playoff bonus(NP) one that saw everyone on the team get +3 to stamina, shooting, and skating.  Rest assured the Bottom 6(B6) bonus and the elusive Sidney Crosby(SC) are still available and will be awarded to you should you ever qualify for them.

I explained my reasoning for decision for dropping the NP bonus.  While awarding and applying this particular bonus behind the scenes for the last 5-10 seasons, I was finding that too many teams were getting this bonus added to their roster when their team already had highly talented players.  The original reason and purpose of this bonus was to boost teams who were lacking the talent to make the playoffs and to keep them competitive. Prior to the sim engine update, players on non playoff teams did not receive skill increases during the post season, while playoff bound teams did.

Also, the NP bonus was NOT intended to help and assist teams to build, save and bulk up their rosters so that they could eventually ice a team thats virtually unbeatable.  While that may be and/or have been appealing for any GM who'd opt to use this strategy, it doesn't seem fair to everyone else.  I am not saying you specifically were going to do this.  We are all very smart sim owners and its only natural some of us will work within the rules to find ways to ice the best teams we can............my job as the commish/creator is to keep things enjoyable and fair for everyone, or at least most of the MLD, and sometimes that means tweaking a rule.

I'd like to also point out that not all teams were guilty of benefiting from this "non-playoff bonus loophole".   Some teams legitimately were using this bonus to help their low-on-talent team....  but it is easier to nix the bonus completely than to police and monitor it and ultimately decide who should and shouldnt receive.

I really like your idea about a Competition Committee.  :) 
3/4/2012 11:19 AM
I second (or third?) the notion of a Competition Committee.  And rest assured steve, nothing in this league gets changed without much democratic deliberation.

3/4/2012 11:50 AM
Thanks for clearing that up okp. That's my point about reading to many posts, I thought the intent was to nix the "intire" bonus format. And I fourth the notion of a competition commi..... oh wait!!!  ... lol
3/4/2012 12:52 PM
I'm gonna expose a bit of ignorance here ... But until about 30 seconds ago I wasn't aware the NP bonus applied to your entire roster ... I had assumed for 29 seasons it only applied to your draft picks in that season's draft :s
3/5/2012 8:10 PM
Posted by smeric on 3/5/2012 8:10:00 PM (view original):
I'm gonna expose a bit of ignorance here ... But until about 30 seconds ago I wasn't aware the NP bonus applied to your entire roster ... I had assumed for 29 seasons it only applied to your draft picks in that season's draft :s
The B6 bonus and SC bonus are applied to 1st draft pick only. The NP bonus has been awarded to the full roster.

Like okp said on the NP bonus: "The original reason and purpose of this bonus was to boost teams who were lacking the talent to make the playoffs and to keep them competitive. Prior to the sim engine update, players on non playoff teams did not receive skill increases during the post season, while playoff bound teams did."

3/7/2012 3:52 PM
Competition Committee +1
3/7/2012 3:55 PM
Just to clarify, while I like the idea of a "Competition Committee", I don't want to be a member of it.  :P  (My MLD plate is already full.)
3/8/2012 6:54 PM
Just posted on the league message board:
03/15 02:51 rammers Hey guys - steveajolie posted a suggestion in MLD World Thread - "what about starting some kind of “Competition Committee” say five (5) owners that represent the league, to address the leagues issues". Such a committee should imo be a good addition and hopefully help okp in his work making league decisions. It would be nice to get some input on this in the forum thread.
3/15/2012 2:52 AM
◂ Prev 1...58|59|60|61|62|63 Next ▸
MLD World Thread #2 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.