Advice for Newbies (2008 version) Topic

I'd add to the list, ignore RL stats and instead draft according to # stats. (i.e. avg#, obp#, slg#, 1b/100ab#, 2b/100ab#, 3b/100ab#, hr/100ab#). # stats are not a perfect predictor, but they beat the alternatives.
5/19/2009 1:08 PM

All Forums > MLB SimLeagues
Topic: Newbi Champ?

Quote:
Originally Posted By chrondon84 on 5/26/2009

i am about to start my first team and am full of questions. i have sim'd many seasons of Baseball Mogal, HighHeat Baseball, and other baseball sims but this is a little different.

im starting in a open league with not much info on how this sim works. after reading the forums i think my team of only Oakland A's, is due for gloom.

has there ever been a newbie champ?

three quick tips for regular season success?

three for postseason success?

and maybe a list of the best value players at their position and a brief explanation of why. id also like to hear of any odd draft strategys that worked.

5/28/2009 12:20 AM
Thank you biglenr for the great informative post. How do you evaluate + stats (e.g. HR+, AVG+, ERC+)? Thanks.
5/28/2009 5:32 PM
100 = league average.

>100 better than league average (125 = 25% better than avg)

<100 worse than league average.

Other that mop ups, in an $80m league, you shouldn't have any pitchers below 110 in ERC+ (and they are Long A guys), and your #1 Sp around 150 or so.
5/28/2009 10:38 PM

6/10/2009 3:50 PM
A huge thank you to big len...pretty much following this advice helped with forming a pennant contender in my third league.

If only I could figure out pitching, I'd be set...I think my pitching will keep me from making. My starting is ok, my bullpen is horrid.
9/3/2009 7:54 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By salukiboy on 9/03/2009
A huge thank you to big len...pretty much following this advice helped with forming a pennant contender in my third league.

If only I could figure out pitching, I'd be set...I think my pitching will keep me from making. My starting is ok, my bullpen is horrid.
I have been playing for a while now and I have had good sucess, but I will admit that pitching still perplexes me at times. A few things it took me some time to learn:

1) I think the performance curve is pretty shallow once you get past $40k/ip but it drops off pretty bad below $33K/ip. There are, of course exceptions, but the general point holds. Also this isn't meant to imply that all expensive pitchers are good values or even good.

2) High K, low to moderate BB pitchers are more likely to greatly exceed their innings pitched because their real life K stats are high. Unfortunately those Ks also hurt them in the sim by reducing double play opportunities.
9/3/2009 11:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zubinsum on 9/03/2009 Unfortunately  those Ks also hurt them in the sim by reducing double play opportunities.

Is that actually true? Are these pitchers hurt by not allowing that potential-DP runner in the first place, or is it just that their DP statistics don't look as nice? I guess what I'm asking is, does getting the K put more runs on the board for the opposition than allowing baserunners and getting DPs? I'm not sure it's that clear.

Your team's fielding would probably be a very important variable.

9/4/2009 9:40 AM
Received a sitemail asking that I bump this.... Complying.
11/9/2009 6:45 AM
how true to form do you think this is, now?
11/9/2009 6:42 PM
The basics (the decision tree, what stats the sim uses, etc) are still valid.

It needs updated, but I'm still digesting the latest update, and don't want to jump in half-cocked.

And, don't forget... I don't get paid to keep[ this current. I do this just to help newbies get up to speed. While I like to help, it needs to wait until I have time and energy to do it, and the mood strikes me.
11/9/2009 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By rmarshall on 11/09/2009

Ladies & Gentlemen'

I'm still trying to get a grip on this game. 23 teams .. No playoffs .. only one team played .500. I like $255 mill leagues.

My topic is about pitch counts & IP ...

With $255 mill you can get quality players and I usually get 10, and lately 11 pitchers. I've been slowly lowering the pitch counts and IP .. in hopes of getting strong performances with 3-5 pitchers per game. I've switched my thinking so much I think I'm confusing the issue. ( Nothing is really working ) I am finally getting some 15-20 game winning starters. But my relief situation is a mess.

Also, I put my Starters @ ANY, on Inn Avail. Long Releivers also @ ANY. Setup at 7,8, with my closer @ 9. Always set Closer @ closing situations only.

Help !

Quote: Originally Posted By contrarian23 on 11/11/2009

( rmarshall ), Please read this thread:

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=368171&PagePosition=1

It answers most of the questions you ask, and provides a ton of other useful info.

11/11/2009 1:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by biglenr on 11/09/2009The basics (the decision tree, what stats the sim uses, etc) are still valid.It needs updated, but I'm still digesting the latest update, and don't want to jump in half-cocked.And, don't forget... I don't get paid to keep[ this current.  I do this just to help newbies get up to speed.  While I like to help, it needs to wait until I have time and energy to do it, and the mood strikes me.

That's fine...I don't even think I asked you to do it, I was asking your opinion
11/12/2009 6:31 PM
If you were going to only draft 7 hitters and use AAA players for the last position, what position should you not draft? Catcher or 1B?

I have been out of Sim Baseball for a few years now but am interested in getting back in.
1/21/2010 10:44 AM

If your goal is to take full advantage of your AAA, I would try to draft one or two players who have playing time at multiple(at least two) positions. That's so you have the flexibility to use the best AAA players for PA's or Def innings regardless of position.

1/21/2010 11:06 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Advice for Newbies (2008 version) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.