Playing Out of Position Topic

...i've copied this from another thread to make it easier for people to search for...
1/3/2009 11:05 AM
[From the FAQ]
If a player without any fielding grades listed for a particular position is inserted into that position, his skills at his primary position are translated to the new position. A designated hitter that did not play in the field is treated as a D-/D- first baseman. He is then slapped with a mandatory out of position penalty. From there, he is penalized for each spot he moves to the on the Bill James' Defensive Spectrum. For example, moving Ozzie Smith from SS to 2B would still yield an above average 2B. Moving Jim Thome to SS, on the other hand, would result in an atrocious SS. Moving Thome to LF would not be as drastic a penalty since SS is a more difficult position.
[from the 10/13/05 Developer Chat]

Hi, If understand correctly, you use the Bill James defensive spectrum in your code. When it comes to moving players who are ranked at one position to one that they are not, how does this affect them. Can I play a Catcher at 3B with minimal damage? How about LF? Could my A-/A+ AAA Shortstop excel in CF? I guess what I am really asking is how exactly do you figure out the fielding rates of out of position players?

Anytime a player is put in a position he didn't play that season, his fielding percentage is mapped to the new position (maintaininig the same level of play). Then he is assigned a 2% penalty to his fielding percentage. Each shift along the spectrum results in an additional 4% hit. The likelihood of turning double plays for out of position players also decreases. Putting a non-catcher behind the plate will result in many successful steals along with a ton of passed balls. Catchers are a special case, so we assign shift penalties based on the position they will be playing.

Besides his fielding percentage, does moving a player to a position he does not play affect his range? Will an A 2B who didn't play 2B that year be an A CF?

Range works the same way with different penalty values. 10% hit for being out of position, and a 15% hit for each shift on the spectrum (in the more difficult direction).
1/3/2009 11:05 AM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
1/3/2009 11:06 AM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
1/3/2009 11:29 AM
So an A/A/A+ catcher like Ivan R would or would not be able to play SS ??

does this also work the same in AAA leagues? I use a A/A or A/A+

SS or 1B in the OF all the time.
1/3/2009 2:14 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By rufuss on 1/03/2009So an A/A/A+ catcher like Ivan R would or would not be able to play SS ??
"Catchers are a special case, so we assign shift penalties based on the position they will be playing."

I don't understnd the last two questions.
1/4/2009 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By rufuss on 1/03/2009

So an A/A/A+ catcher like Ivan R would or would not be able to play SS ??

does this also work the same in AAA leagues? I use a A/A or A/A+

SS or 1B in the OF all the time.

He would be fine at SS. The converse though... (ie Ozzie Smith or someone like him at C)... yikes. I won't EVEN go there.
1/5/2009 3:18 PM
... like trying to play a y at 2B? Or has that been resolved now?
1/5/2009 6:59 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By River_Rats on 1/05/2009... like trying to play a y at 2B? Or has that been resolved now
I have no problem playing ies at 2B if I find myself with a team short on 2B PAs for some reason...
1/5/2009 8:07 PM
Question:

I have a player that plays two positions. He has a B+/B rating at first base and an D-/D- in the outfield. I have another first baseman with an A/B+ rating. I need one of them to play right field. Which would you choose and why?
1/6/2009 9:33 PM
I would choose the guy who DOESN'T have the OF rating. He has to be better than D-/D-. Probably a lot better.
1/6/2009 9:41 PM
Thanks and that being said what will the "Bill James defensive spectrum" do to his rating of A/B+???? Will he become a C-/D outfielder?
1/6/2009 9:48 PM
probably something like B-/C- ish
1/6/2009 11:08 PM
...a D-/D- is 1/1, a A/B+ is 11/9...the 11/9 1Bman gets an OOP penalty...in grade terms probably something that reduces him to 10/7...then he gets a greater penalty for moving him the "wrong" way 1 spot on the spectrum making him something like a 8/4...just to be safe assume the worst and make him a 7/3...that's a B-/D+...at least that's how i'd guesstimate it...
1/7/2009 12:08 AM
This seems silly to ask but can playing a player out of position hurt his offensive production? It seems to me when ever i play a player at a non rated position he under preforms. just coincidence?
1/7/2009 3:22 PM
1|2|3...10 Next ▸
Playing Out of Position Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.