Official © Yankees 2014 1st place!!! Topic

Posted by antoncresten on 10/14/2012 8:23:00 PM (view original):
MIKEY?
He's in mourning.  Give him some time.
10/14/2012 10:22 PM
The Yankees are the last team I expected to make excuses. Even the Braves, who were victims of a much more damning call in my opinion, came out and said they had no one to blame but themselves for that loss.

"Yeah, he was out by I would say five feet," Cano said. "It is tough, because if it was the right call, it would be 1-0 instead of 3-0."

First of all, 5 feet? A bit of an exaggeration, Robinson. And secondly - okay, it's 1-0. The Yankees still didn't score. Is Cano insinuating they would have tried harder after that if it was only 1-0? Their inability to hit is what's killing them. And unfortunately for them, unlike the Orioles, the Tigers actually do hit.
10/14/2012 11:00 PM
Didn't see game two.    But, when your big hitters are a combined 10 for 137, you're not going to win many games.
10/15/2012 8:36 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/14/2012 11:00:00 PM (view original):
The Yankees are the last team I expected to make excuses. Even the Braves, who were victims of a much more damning call in my opinion, came out and said they had no one to blame but themselves for that loss.

"Yeah, he was out by I would say five feet," Cano said. "It is tough, because if it was the right call, it would be 1-0 instead of 3-0."

First of all, 5 feet? A bit of an exaggeration, Robinson. And secondly - okay, it's 1-0. The Yankees still didn't score. Is Cano insinuating they would have tried harder after that if it was only 1-0? Their inability to hit is what's killing them. And unfortunately for them, unlike the Orioles, the Tigers actually do hit.
A bad call is a bad call, no matter the score.

And 1-0 is different than 3-0.  You play differently if you only need 1 as opposed to needing 3.

Seeing that the Yankees just aren't hitting, the additional two runs that Detroit scored may not have mattered in the end.  But they could have.  We'll never know.
10/15/2012 8:57 AM
In case you hadn't noticed, the Yanks don't play small ball - unless someone's giving Tex a 20 foot walking lead. Their approach is the same regardless of the score.

And you're right, a bad call is a bad call. But that doesnt automatically make it a gamechanger
10/15/2012 10:01 AM
Unlike Orioles fans, I won't complain about umpiring.   They miss calls for both teams.   FACT!
10/15/2012 10:14 AM
If this had happened to the O's and the O's player involved had spoken up, JT would have given him a dedication thread.
10/15/2012 10:15 AM
But seriously, what did he say?  Okay, he exaggerated about how much he was out by, but JT himself said that might have been the worst call he ever saw.   And then he said it would have been 1-0 as opposed to 3-0 if the right call had been made, which is accurate.

It certainly didn't cost them the game, but if you don't think being down 1 run that late as opposed to 3 that late is a game changer, I'm really not sure what to tell you.  Maybe the Yankees don't change their approach, maybe they do - or maybe Detroit relievers pitch differently knowing that one swing of the bat can tie the game at any moment.
10/15/2012 10:20 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 10/15/2012 10:15:00 AM (view original):
If this had happened to the O's and the O's player involved had spoken up, JT would have given him a dedication thread.
And a reacharound!
10/15/2012 10:20 AM
Ya that might be clever if I hadn't been the one to call out the ump in the first place. Despite what Mikey and AlCheez would like to lead all the drones to believe, I'm pretty fair in my assessment of things.

All the writers were trying to make a big deal of the call on McLouths homer. I sided with the umps (and against the Os). Some people (cough, mike and al) selectively choose the info that benefits them.
10/15/2012 10:41 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/15/2012 10:41:00 AM (view original):
Ya that might be clever if I hadn't been the one to call out the ump in the first place. Despite what Mikey and AlCheez would like to lead all the drones to believe, I'm pretty fair in my assessment of things.

All the writers were trying to make a big deal of the call on McLouths homer. I sided with the umps (and against the Os). Some people (cough, mike and al) selectively choose the info that benefits them.

You acknowledged the obvious, that it was a terrible call, so you're not blind.  Congrats.  Then you proceeded to try and make something out of nothing with Cano's comments.

Are you saying you DIDN'T give Mark Reynolds a standing O when he went on an actual whine fest towards the umps back in September?  I'm not saying you don't try to be fair, I'm saying your success record is spotty.

10/15/2012 10:47 AM
Sure I supported Mark. Did I agree with he and others that him getting tossed cost the Os that game? No. I've ranted on umps a lot this year but I never once blamed an Os loss on them.
10/15/2012 10:51 AM
If by "a lot" you mean "every time a call went against the O's", yes, I agree.

The fact that you started a thread about McLouth's non-homer speaks volumes.
10/15/2012 10:55 AM
Oh, I see. When I start a thread bashing umps, I'm a homer. When I start a thread in support of umps...I'm a homer. Typical MikeT logic.

It's funny how easily the minions get distracted by your smokescreens though. Soon they won't even remember your boys are two games from being swept.
10/15/2012 10:59 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/15/2012 10:51:00 AM (view original):
Sure I supported Mark. Did I agree with he and others that him getting tossed cost the Os that game? No. I've ranted on umps a lot this year but I never once blamed an Os loss on them.
But Cano didn't say the call cost them the game, at least not in anything you posted - you jumped to that conclusion.  All he did was state a fact.
10/15/2012 11:06 AM
◂ Prev 1...23|24|25|26|27...41 Next ▸
Official © Yankees 2014 1st place!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.