Pens Thread: Go Pens Go! Topic

Just realized that site didn't have Ryan Craig listed.

And I missed Orpik's injury tonight, just heard it happened blocking a shot.  Anyone see it?  Significant?
2/23/2011 10:36 PM
Brooks took a shot in the hand while he was blocking a shot. He protected his right (I think) hand going off the ice and went straight down the runway to the dressing room and didn't return. Not a good sign. Kinda looked like a broken hand or broken fingers at the very least. Niskanen looks better and better now, eh?
He and Neal did not look out of place at all last night, although Niskanen coughed the puck up and Marleau had a breakaway which MAF made a great stop on. Neal took a couple of shots high in the slot and geez, were they ever heavy. He is really going to be a great addition for us once he learns the system.
2/24/2011 9:41 AM
...and now Kovalev
2/24/2011 12:26 PM
For a 7th round pick which becomes a 6th if we win one round of a playoff and Kovy plays in 50% of the games. Not much to give up. I just hope we get the Kovy who decides to play. Gonna be interesting to see him fit into HCDB's system.
2/24/2011 12:59 PM
Like I said about Brooks.....

Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik has a broken finger and is expected to miss about four weeks, coach Dan Bylsma said today. That would put things close to the start of the playoffs.

He joins a long list of Penguins who are out because of injury, most prominently All-Star centers Sidney Crosby, who has a concussion, and Evgeni Malkin, who had season-ending knee surgery.

Orpik, the club's top defensive defenseman and a physical presence, was injured late in the first period of Wednesday's 3-2 overtime loss to San Jose when he got hit on the right hand with a shot taken by the Sharks' Patrick Marleau.

Orpik, 30 and an alternate captain, leads the Penguins and ranks 11th in the NHL with 177 hits and is third on the club with 88 blocked shots

Three injured players -- centers Mark Letestu and Dustin Jeffrey and defenseman Paul Martin -- could return as soon as tonight when the Penguins play at Carolina.

The Penguins play their next five games on the road.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11055/1127695-100.stm#ixzz1EtuW8gv7
2/24/2011 1:06 PM
kovy for a seventh rounder, or even a sixth is a great deal.  even if he flops the pens are giving up next to nothing for him.  and the upside is huge.  he's still a pretty decent player when he wants to be.   and best of all, he's a free agent at the end of the year, so it doesn't cost them next season.  :>

hurts to see orpik down for four weeks.  can't believe how much bad luck one team can take in a single season with regards to injuries.  hopefully they can get most of them back for the post season.  :>
2/24/2011 1:26 PM
But why are they adding rental players at all? Do they expect to contend with the key injuries? Good for them I guess.
2/24/2011 1:52 PM
This is the first rental player they've added Pete. The Neal/Niskanen for Gologoski trade is a good swap for us down the road, as both players are still under contract and will be rfa's after the 2011-2012 season (I believe). The Kovey deal was done only because it is painful to watch these guys try to put some offense on the board. IF Sid comes back this season (which I personally don't think he will), we can have a potent offense to go along with our defense, which is playing extremely well right now. Even with our anemic offense without Kunitz, Sid, Geno, Letestu, et al, we will be tough to play against in the playoffs because of our d and pk. Besides, for a 6th or 7th rounder? We're basically giving up nothing.
2/24/2011 2:05 PM
in 04 the lackluster offense of the flames went to the finals (and won, though not officially) and in 06 the lackluster offense of the oilers went to the finals.  once you're in the show, any team could go all the way.  as long as you have decent goaltending and players who want it.  even without sid, the pens still have a shot.  if sid comes back, they are one of the favourites again, IMO.  he can win playoff series single handedly.  adding kovy now helps the team stay in playoff contention, and adds a bit of offense once the playoffs do start.  never a bad idea.  :>
2/24/2011 4:23 PM
a potent offense may be a bit of a stretch.  An offense able to compete may be a bit more accurate.
2/25/2011 7:25 PM
I would just like ANY kind of an offense. Man, this is just painful to watch!
2/25/2011 9:41 PM
how was that chuck?  heh.  i got to watch that game.  they didn't look great, and it was only the lackluster leafs, but it was nice to see them put up more than two goals, and get the win to boot.  :>
2/27/2011 7:02 AM
Gotta admit, Kovy has come to play his first 2 games.
2/27/2011 10:18 AM
Couldn't be happier that Letestu and Jeffrey are able to play at this level.

They'll be solid bottom 6 guys next year if the big guns ever get healthy.
3/9/2011 12:18 PM
3 year contract extension for my favorite pittsburgh sports team head coach ever!
3/9/2011 12:28 PM
◂ Prev 1...61|62|63|64|65...78 Next ▸
Pens Thread: Go Pens Go! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.