Team Building Strategies Topic

I'll get this started while it's fesh on my mind.

$60M Unbalanced -- I chose a pitching team because a hitting team would require a lot more stamina. couldnt afford much power so I'm in the Astrodome. couldnt afford much of anything for $24M, I have a bunch of bland .260 hitters. I sacrificed some range to get hitting. I did splurge on an A+ arm because I was expecting a lot of low scores. full time hitters weren't the best bargains here so I have a motley collection of part-timers, not-quite-fulltimers and utility players. pitchers are also a mixed bag with each SP having a different number of innings. This tream will require some day-to-day managing and that's a good thing. my biggest complaint about this tournament is that it's all about the draft and there's nothing to do after Opening Day. Now I have something to do.

$80M -- I scanned all seasons and drafted 4 for comparison. 1919AL, 1946AL, 1952AL, 1908NL. 46AL had the best players but way over budget. At first I selected 19AL with strong hitting and adequate pitching. then comes the update with rumors that pitching is more prominent. next the cap is reduced to $80M and I take a hatchet to my offense. so I switched to 1908NL. strong pitching anchored by Mordecai Brown and Christy Mathewson with .84 whip and good for 800 innings. hitting is good enough considering the cap, the normalization, and the strong pitching. biggest weakness is errors.

$90M Boss -- I only looked at a few skippers with the most tenure. My 2 finalists were Connie Mack and Bobby Cox. I drafted both teams and couldnt decide which was better. Mack team had better OBP, Cox team had Greg Maddux, everything else was nearly even. I chose Mack because I'm getting tired of Maddux. I platooned 3 positions with no-names who had a good half season. Most of my pitchers are from hitting years and only one hitter is from a hitting year. Let's hope normalization works!

$100M draft --- my strategy involved not depending on popular teams and years to remain available. I started with 2004 Cardinals for several reasons. They had some good players. Cards had some good teams in the 40s and those would be unpopular years. Twins had some pitching in 2004, they would be unpopular, and I could grab a big Walter Johnson year. I abruptly changed plans when 1968 was still available in round 3. Bob Gibson is the Ace and I switched to El Tiante and the Indians for my 2nd team. added 1911 to fill remaining needs. ran out of money before finishing, now my team has a strong nucleus and too many weaknesses.

$120M draft --- There was an early run on SP while plenty of good RP remained available late in the draft. I should've played a big bullpen strategy. Instead I got caught up in the frenzy and drafted some 2nd tier SP too early. and some early picks were wasted because I couldnt afford their best years. After this awful start I recovered in the second half of the draft. staying in modern times helped as there were more available players.

$140M -- Is there much to this league? I searched for ways to find an advantage. most people like HR so I chose an anti-HR park. most pitchers are RHP so I leaned toward y hitters. For these reasons I talked myself into Boggs Cobb Dickey and Ortiz. other tossups wre decided in favor of best glove, and that's how I got stuck with classic underperformers Mays Morgan and Boudreau. Maduux over PJ because of HR, but then I chose Schmidt despite HR thinking I'll start him at home. Milacki ok I dont need IP. Johnson Guidry Dazzy stood out.
11/26/2009 11:07 AM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
11/26/2009 1:13 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
11/27/2009 12:59 AM
60 Million (I Give Up)
Before the update, I built a team I really liked. I spent 36M on pitching and had a staff including Mike Hampton, Bob Forsch, Orel Hershier, Walter Johnson and Schoolboye Rowe (long relief)... all great hitting pitchers. I had some relatively cheap high OB hitters including '83 Hargrove, '72 Hunt, '90 Weiss, '94 Nixon. When the salary change hit, my team salary jumped to $69 million. Back to the drawing board.

At first, I thought I'd draft modern pitchers ($24M) and the best deadball fielding hitters with A+ range (guys like McPhee). I wanted to take advantage of the new fielding rules (penalize my opponents defense). I built a decent-looking team but the offense was pretty weak for $36 million. A+ range really is expensive now.

So I then changed to a speed team. High% SBs are still relatively cheap and I'm thinking that alot of teams will not spend the money for an A+ catcher arm. I still tried to get a few A+ hitters while at the same time grabbing as many high% big-SB guys. We ended up with M.Wills (102/13), W.Wilson (83/12), R.Scott (63/13), J.Mumphrey (52/5), and M.Carey (55/11). Thurman Munson's A+ arm will cancel out other team's SBs. No power to speak of. We do have six switch-hitters, for whatever that's worth.

For pitchers, I grabbed four starters (960 IP), all with whips in the 1.30 to 1.39 range. I added three RPs (230 IP) in the same category. I hope 1190 IPs is enough in Petco Park. I added five 200K mopup pitchers to rest my regular pitchers.

80 Million (Dizzy for Dazzy)
What can I say? I love Dazzy Vance. I've also had success with Dolf Luque and Eppa Rixey. 1924 NL was really the only season I seriously tried. I would have loved to get Hornsby in the mix too but not a chance at this cap level. I briefly thought about some of the early 190x AL in order to get some of those stud deadball pitchers like Joss but it just wouldn't work at 80M.

It looks like 1924 NL was the most popular choice (with 3 entries) although I am dumbfounded how PennQuaker can take them and NOT take Dazzy Vance.

90 Million (Dorrel Norman Elvert Herzog)
Before I switched the caps of the 80/90 themes, I had tried a Connie Mack team at 80 million and just didn't like how it fit. I really like those mid 80's Cardinals teams, so I immediately went to Whitey Herzog. There's some useful KC Royals players to choose from also. I built a Herzog team at 80M that I liked.

Eventually, I determined that the 80/90 themes needed to switch caps.

When it came time to re-do my Herzog team, I really liked the pitching as it was (even without 85 Tudor). So I upgraded my offense (better G.Brett, better W.McGee, etc). It fit nicely and I was done. After seeing so many Mack and Cox teams, I now regret that I didn't at least investigate those two options at 90M.

100 Million (Brooklyn W.Sox 24.41.64)
Since I picked fairly early in the 120M cap, I got stuck with sort of a bad draft pick in this theme... 9th overall. I really had no strategy coming in, since I really wasn't sure who'd be for me at #9. Both the Yankees and A's were off the board, so I decided on the Dodgers since that gave me plenty of pitching options. I also knew that 1941 was a great year to pull from with (4-5 solid batters and Whitt Wyatt). By the time my second round pick came around, I had given alot of though to what direction I wanted to go in. Nobody had grabbed the White Sox yet, so I decided I'd go with 1964 and 1924 White Sox and Dodgers. The '24 White Sox have really good hitters. 1964 was great for pitching for both of those teams (Koufax, Drysdale, Horlen, Wilhelm, etc.). Plus, I could get Dazzy Vance again! Everything fell into place perfectly. I had actually built my entire team using just those 4 combinations. When I finally grabbed 1941 in the 5th round, I was able to tweak the lineup here and there and had enough salary to upgrade at a couple of positions. I really like this team alot. (And I didn't even use '41 Wyatt).

120 Million (The Big Three)
I really didn't have a long-range plan because I knew any kind of strategy would get messed up way too often. Picking near the beginning (#5) allowed me to use an intermediate player (on the way in) to get a key player (on the way back). For example, after taking Walter Johnson in the first, I used Cy Falkenberg to connect to Addie Joss. In the next round, I used Charlie Smith to connect to Mordecai Brown. It was pretty much like that the entire draft. After taking Cy Williams and Chuck Klein as my next two picks, I made a key revelation. I'm not going to have enough salary to fill out my team.

So I changed my thought process and started taking better valued players.... That's when I added Johnny Pesky, Luke Appling (not his expensive year), Nellie Fox, Ferris Fain, etc. I needed some $5 million hitters. Note that I typically used a reliever to connect to the key hitters I wanted (guys like Bobby Shantz, Earl Caldwell, Bobby Tiefenauer, Phil Regan).

All in all, not a terrible team... My bullpen isn't going to measure up to those teams who loaded up on guys with sub 0.90 whips. But with W.Johnson, A.Joss and M.Brown, hopefully, I won't need the bullpen as much. My offense is probably middle of the pack with good OBP but not a lot of power or speed.

200 Million (High Cap Cookies)
I've been wanting to do a theme like this in the Championsip for years. About 5 years ago, I ran a "Same Roster Challenge" theme league. All 24 owners had the same 25-man roster that was determined ahead of time (each owner could pick his own ballpark). The variance in wins was 60 wins to 100 wins. This theme was similar although I allowed some flexibility in the roster creation.

In building my offense, I typically went for the highest avg/obp combination with an eye on defense (i.e., Boggs over McGraw). I pretty much stayed away from power when given the choice (i.e., Speaker over Mays/Mantle, Cochrane over Dickey). I took the 21 Ruth over the 23 Ruth b/c I've had more success with the 21 version than the 23 version. As for the bench, I went with the Joyce and Ramirez, thinking I could platoon them at DH.

At starting pitcher, I had 4 of the 5 chalk... Maddux, W.Johnson, Guidry and K.Brown . I decided on Braxton over Hubbell and Vance... and to be honest, I can't remember why. In the bullpen, I like Gagne over Eck as my setup A. I plan on using Carlos as my closer. I was one the only team to take Willie Hernandez. I took him mainly because he was the only y in that group and felt having another LHP would be useful.

Based on the stats I posted, it looks like I am in the lower half in terms on player commonality. My non-common choices include Boggs (4), H.Wagner (4) , Speaker (3), Braxton (5), W.Hernandez (1).
11/27/2009 12:25 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By bigmc on 11/26/2009
$100 mil – Let me start by saying sgsmith used the exact strategy I would have used and is my pick to win this league.The starting pitchers in 1985 and 2005 from the Cardinals and Mets is going to be very tough to top.Not to mention the defense is excellent, at least in the ’85 year.
Hey, thanks for the vote of confidence, bigmc. Maybe it will inspire the guys. That team stands at 0-5 as I write this.
11/27/2009 1:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by schwarze on 11/27/200960 Million (I Give Up)

What can I say?  I love Dazzy Vance.  I've also had success with Dolf Luque and Eppa Rixey.  1924 NL was really the only season I seriously tried.  I would have loved to get Hornsby in the mix too but not a chance at this cap level.  I briefly thought about some of the early 190x AL in order to get some of those stud deadball pitchers like Joss but it just wouldn't work at 80M. 

It looks like 1924 NL was the most popular choice (with 3 entries) although I am dumbfounded how PennQuaker can take them and NOT take Dazzy Vance...

I don't usually have the ability to access WifS during the work day. This means I can't build teams that need micromanaging to succeed. This is what I was with when I had Dazzy. I didn't like the lineups of the teams I made when I had Dazzy. The '24 NL also has other strong and relatively cheap pitchers which made for a hopefully good staff at $37 million. Basically, I didn't like the offense that I would have had if I spent $40M on pitching.
11/27/2009 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PennQuaker on 11/27/2009
Quote: Originally posted by schwarze on 11/27/2009
What can I say?  I love Dazzy Vance.  I've also had success with Dolf Luque and Eppa Rixey.  1924 NL was really the only season I seriously tried.  I would have loved to get Hornsby in the mix too but not a chance at this cap level.  I briefly thought about some of the early 190x AL in order to get some of those stud deadball pitchers like Joss but it just wouldn't work at 80M. 

It looks like 1924 NL was the most popular choice (with 3 entries) although I am dumbfounded how PennQuaker can take them and NOT take Dazzy Vance...
I don't usually have the ability to access WifS during the work day. This means I can't build teams that need micromanaging to succeed. This is what I was with when I had Dazzy. I didn't like the lineups of the teams I made when I had Dazzy. The '24 NL also has other strong and relatively cheap pitchers which made for a hopefully good staff at $37 million. Basically, I didn't like the offense that I would have had if I spent $40M on pitching.

11/27/2009 5:40 PM
60mil

When I first read the details of this theme I thought for sure that I would go with 36mil at pitching as I couldn’t imagine spending less than 24 million on a whole pitching staff.When I made my first team I wasn’t too impressedwith the pitching staff and the hitting was atrocious with terrible defense.I started thinking that with the pitching heavy team we weren’t going to score many runs and obviously had to win low scoring games......and if my defence was so poor, I would end up losing a bunch of games due to unearned runs.So I ended up with 36 mil at hitting despite an extremely tough time finding a balance between enough IP and a staff that I could somewhat stomach.I ended up with 1191IP total....which is a much smaller amount than I’ve ever had.I decided to help them with big range guys at SS (Bancroft) and CF (Douthit) as well as Safeco.The recent update supposedly produces more “+” plays for the top range guys so I tried to put more of a premium on these kinds of players on all my teams in this round of the tournament (although I have zero “+” plays with 2 high range Bancrofts in this tourney through 15 combined games....high range infielders still aren’t worth it?).I think I got lucky by being in the AL which has most of the 36mil pitching teams – this should help my staff cut down on their IP by facing below average hitting most of the time.For hitters I went with some guys I’ve never tried.’88 Ricky Henderson seemed of great value under the new pricing with average, walks and sbs. I’m also using someone named Paul Schaal at 3b who fits my high walks, high doubles preference.I’ve got Nick Johnson and Reggie Jackson as my big boppers along with staples Stanky and Cochrane to round out my lineup.Lots of walks on this team should help wear down opposing teams staffs.I have no idea how this team will perform – I think I made the right decision picking a hitting team but I fear I may get screwed by my lack of innings.

80mil

I went through just about every year within the parameters and really couldn’t find a team that I liked.I like having a good balance between pitching and hitting (50/50 $$$ split) and I found that if I liked my hitting I didn't like my pitching and vice versa.....so I went way off my comfort zone and decided to spend more on pitching than hitting (I don’t remember ever doing this).With the salary update, very good to great pitching is much more affordable at the 80 mil cap.I looked hard at 1908 AL – Young, Joss and Smith would have been a devastating starting staff but I just wasn’t comfortable enough that the hitting would score runs on a regular basis.The last team I seriously looked at was 1917 AL as I had been trying to get one of Ruth’s pitcher years to work for his bat.Once I made the decision that it was ok to go pitching heavy this team really fell into place.I feel a starting staff of Cicotte, Ruth and Coveleski should be among the best in the league.I am fairly happy with the hitters – Sisler will anchor my lineup and I have some big walk guys in Bush and Collins to bat at the top of the order.Other than Sam Rice the rest of the lineup is nothing to get too excited about.If this team can stay in the top 5 or 6 in runs allowed we should be fine.

90mil

Pretty much right away I knew I would be using Connie Mack although I looked at McGraw, McKechnie and Wilbert Robinson as well.I love the Philadelphia A’s so I wasn’t exactly objective when it came down to making a final decision.The new salaries allowed for some top flight pitching....Harry Krause now under 7 million?....Bill Bernhard and some Chief Bender years also have become more affordable.I combined them with Rube Waddell and Joe Berry and I was ready to go from a pitching staff point of view.This team also allowed me to use ’27 Cobb who I believe is a great value, as well as old faves Cochrane, Bishop and Joost.My one concern is that I perhaps made a mistake taking Sam Chapman for his range.......thinking that the update has put more of a premium on range and that he would be worth his high salary........if this line of thinking is false then I will have wasted salary that could have been better served to beef up my hitting.....we’ll see......

100mil

My plans in this draft got screwed a number of times. I had hoped to get the A’s and Cubs and 1909 and 1930 or 31.1909 went before I was able to pick but I was still hell-bent on getting the A’s so I took them and then 1902 as a plan b for my pitching staff (Waddell and Bernhard).......I suppose it was pretty naive of me to think 1930 or 31 would last and they didn’t....so when it came back to me I was happy with 1929 as it filled out most of my offence although it me without a good y Grove to add to my pitching.I was hoping the Cubs would stick around so I could get the big Jack Taylor season from 1902 but they quickly went in round 2 and again I had to go with plan B......luckily the Pirates were still there in the 4th round for me to grab as I’m not sure what I would have done without them.....they have plenty of pitching in 1902 and filled in quite nicely at certain position at 1929.My last pick of 1907 worked well as it gave me a solid Wagner, Leach (A++ Range OF) and Nick Maddox to close games out.Despite many “plan B’s” I was pretty happy when all was said and done.......very solid hitting with Foxx, Simmons, Wagner and Waner........if the pitching holds up this could be a playoff team.

120 mil

As schwarze said, this was a difficult draft to really plan too far ahead for.I just tried to leave myself with as many solid options as possible with my picks.Picking near the bottom I knew I was not going to get the best players and pitchers and was happy to have Eddie Collins sitting there when it was my turn.He has so many good years, so many good teammates and fills a marginal position.From there I was pretty happy about how it turned out.....for some reason I thought I would get Cy Young late in the 3rd round....Joe Jackson was a nice fall back.My biggest disappointment was not getting y O’Doul and Chuck Klein with back to back picks in Round 7...they both went early in that round...Hack Wilson and Earl Averill ended up being suitable replacements.We should be able to score but I worry that my pitching staff doesn’t have the ace (or aces) required at this cap w/ the dh....Cicotte, Bender and Eddie Plank will have to do.

No Cap

I liked this theme a lot.I liked only having to obsess over a handful of players for each position.I am pretty confident in my selections – although concerned that I maybe should have taken Boudreau over Jennings at SS for the field%.....other than that I picked guys with lots of normalized doubles and walks.....went with the A+ range of Mays over some better bats as I felt that may be a difference maker...I thought the backups – Winn, Maddox, M.Williams could be difference makers as well for their gloves in tight games...I picked Milacki to spot start in crucial games as I didn’t need any more innings.........should be a bit of a crapshoot and the little things will make big differences.......
11/28/2009 8:41 PM
60mil - unbalanced

I decided early on that I wanted to go with the cheap pitching. I felt that the drop-off in cheaper pitching was much, much less than the drop-off in cheaper hitting. A hitting team for 24mil would mean awful defense, shorted ABs, and no production, and probably all three! A cheaper pitching staff appeared to mean that instead of getting guys with, say, WHIPs in the 1.00s, it would be WHIPs in the 1.30s, which wasn't as big a deal as the difference in the hitting. I also decided early on that I would grab pitchers who gave up lots and lots of homers... and put them in the Astrodome! I figured that would allow me to get cheaper pitching and prevent the very reason as to why they were so cheap in the first place (at least at home). As for the hitters, would I go for defense or pure offense? I decided to go the middle route (literally, sort of). I made sure my SS, 2B, and CF had excellent range, and weren't complete nothings with the bat (at least normalized), and concentrated on pure offensive numbers for 1B, LF, and RF. At 3B, I just wanted someone who had good fielding numbers... wasn't as concerned with range. And finally, I went with the venerable 1975 Carter at C, who is a wonderful player at this level both for offense and defense. I think I'm ok in this league. My only concern is that maybe I overdid it with the homers allowed. Hopefully, all homers I allow will be solo shots, but that might still be enough to kill me in this league...

80mil - One Season, One League

I saved this one for last. I had no idea, no plan, no nothing. Tried a few years in the deadball era... hated my hitting. Tried a few years in the 20s and 30s, hated my pitching. I even tried the 1914 Federal League just to see if it was possible. It almost worked, but just didn't quite make it (The players were either a bit too good or too bad for this theme, not enough guys who matched up well for this salary cap). Eventually I thought about one of my favorite teams of yesteryear... the 1940 Cincinnati Reds, simply because they had two pitchers, Bucky Walters and Paul Derringer, who were far and away the best pitchers in the league, but who weren't insanely expensive. I was able to build a team from the 1940 NL fairly easily. A nice SS was available in Arky Vaughan. Players like Wally Moses, a good (but not too good) player filled out my outfield, and a weird part-time situation with Deb Garms, Mel Ott, and Gene Moore fill out 3B and a corner OF spot. For pitching, I used Walters and Derringer, and most of the other Cincy Reds pitching staff. And then, I couldn't find a team that I liked better so I went with this team. It seems to be working out okay. My only concern is that I tried this last year in the WIS first round (one team for your starters, one team for your relievers, one team for your infield, and one team for your outfield), and the team didn't do very well. But, I just can't help myself. Must... use... Bucky...

90mil - Who's The Boss

I didn't spend much time with this one after trying and failing to use John McGraw, but missed out on getting Hubbell's 1933 season by just one year (McGraw's last year managing was 1932). After that, I focused on Connie Mack, who had 53 years to choose from, throughout the deadball era, liveball era, and other eras in between. I think this team will be ok, not particularly spectacular.

100mil - 3X2

I went into the draft without any plan whatsoever short of trying to get the Yankees, since I figured they had lots of good years. Of course, that plan went out the window in a hurry, the Yanks were gone after 3 or 4 picks. So, I picked the A's, figuring they had many good years to choose from as well. I was hoping to get 1909, since the A's had very good pitching that year, but that plan went out the window before the 1st round had ended (it seems lots of plans went out the window during this draft). When it came back to me, I saw the year 1931 was still available. It was y Grove's best year and it also half the hitters I needed. So... 1931 it was. I now had 300+ innings of pitching taken care of, and my C, 2B, 3B, and LF done as well. Next pick, I had to choose between a year or a team. I could go with 1971, Vida Blue's best year, or 1972, Catfish's best year, but I wasn't going to get any hitters from those years. Instead, I decided to take the Giants, since 1931 provided a 1B, SS, and another OF, as well as a good year from Carl Hubbell. 1971 was available on my next pick so I took it, giving me Blue and Fingers, and Willie Mays to play CF (although he was only part time). I felt my team was set as is. However, my last pick was 1989, pretty cool since both of my franchises made the WS that year so both had pretty good teams that year. This allowed me to upgrade 1B with Will Clark, and bring in Scott Garrelts to round out my SP and bring in a host of good relievers (including Eck) from the A's, and back up Willie Mays with Jose Canseco. All in all, I'm relatively pleased, and expect this team to contend, but certainly not dominate.

120mil - Chain draft

My plan for this draft was 1). Start in the deadball era to get stud pitchers with lots of innings early. I did NOT want to be in the modern era because I felt it would take too long to fill up with pitching since none of the pitchers pitched more than 250 innings or so. I felt if I could get stud pitchers who pitched 350-400 innings rather than those who pitched 200-250 innings, I'd save myself a draft choice high in the draft. 2). Don't pick any OFs or 1B for awhile, and 3). Have a DH by committee. That was about it. As it turns out, I stayed in the deadball ERA nearly the whole time, which I think was unusual, but I wanted to avoid conflicting with anyone else as much as possible, and too many owners were hanging around the modern era.

My first pick reflecting plan #1: Pete Alexander. From him, I could get Claude Hendrix who would then link to Honus Wagner. All good. From Honus, I chose a catcher Art Wilson next because I wanted to get to the rich resources of the 191x Giants and I did, picking Ferdie Schupp. However, I was unceremoniously informed that I *should* have taken Mordecai Brown instead. Probably true especially since taking Schupp meant that I was wasting a high pick on a lower-inning pitcher. And then Markeking took Toney anyway. But, I recovered by drafting normalization stud Benny Kauff next (my CF) and picking Russ Ford to round out my SP. My pitching was now pretty much done except for the relievers, who I figured I'd take much later. Now I had to concentrate on just getting the hitters. So my next picks focused on getting a stud 1B (Sisler), rounding out my OF (Sherry Magee and George Stone in excellent normalized seasons), and my 2B (Johnny Evers, in his best season, excellent normalized numbers). And my 3B Heinie Zimmerman in 1912 is excellent too. Many of my hitters led or were near the league lead in OBP or SLG or both in the season I picked them. I feel that is a good thing and hopefully overlooked. After my hitters were picked, it was just a matter of finding relievers and DH studs. A few of the relievers were taken before I could get them, I was able to find enough really good ones to round out my pitching. As for the DH studs, I was able to draft 6 DHs of varying ABs which altogether will result in lots of DH options. Should be fun to shuffle them in and out. I'm very pleased with this team and expect them to do well (so far, it's just ok, hovering around .500...).

No Limit - Restrictive

Not many difficult choices. I wanted some defense at 2B, SS, and CF hence my choices of Morgan, Boudreau, and Mays. Most of the other starters were simply a matter of who normalized the best and whether their defense was livable. The reserves were interesting. I liked Shumpert because he can play multiple positions well and I liked Joyce to back up McGraw, since they are both similar players. And I liked Ramirez because I figured he could DH against ies.

As for the pitchers, I chose Pedro because he's better than Maddux in all ways but homers-allowed, and I don't think that is too big a deal in this league. I'm surprised Tudor wasn't chosen more often over Guidry, but what do I know. I think Hubbell was the best choice in his group by far. The relievers... couldn't really go too wrong on any of them. I expect a mediocre performance from this team because it will probably come down to managing, and I'm not the greatest day-to-day manager.
12/2/2009 3:15 PM
Great reading. Nobody else want to comment on their teams?
12/3/2009 7:47 PM
12/4/2009 2:22 AM
Good report! Looks like you're off to a great start, especially at 90M and 120M.
12/4/2009 11:44 AM
In the first round, I did the worst with the teams on which I spent the most time selecting. This time around, I went more with my gut and minimized analysis paralysis.

$60M Unbalanced
It wasn't a tough decision to spend the $36 million on offense. I just didn't like a $24 million offense with the new salaries. I took as many IP/162 as I could while having some minimal level of quality. To stretch out the IP, I tried for strong defense at almost every position and used the original Yankee Stadium. I also tried to get as many BB in the batting order as possible as most of the pitchers at this cap level are likely to have less than stellar control.

$80M One league, one season
After a few brief attempts elsewhere, I settled on the 1924 NL. I fully intended to use Dazzy. But, I didn't like the team with him on it. I wanted to use more salary on offense rather than pitching and Dazzy made that almost impossible. This season has some good A+ defenders (Pinelli, Statz, T. Jackson) and some strong cheap pitching including Adams and Dibut. With the 1901-60 time restriction, catcher throwing arm wasn't a factor which made the team somewhat easier to make.

$90M Manager Theme
I looked at Mack and some of the other longer term choices and didn't like one thing or another about the teams. I have noticed that the early to mid 70s Oriole teams have some great defensive players (B. Robinson, Grich, Blair, Belanger) and decided to leverage that with deep pitching in a low batting average park into a team that would hopefully scrape out wins. While a .427 winning percentage to date (38-51) would indicate that this hasn't worked, the expected winning percentage is .512 which means that this team has underperformed by about 7.5 wins so far.

$100M 3x2 Theme
I didn't have much of a plan initially as a draft tends to throw a monkey wrench into any strategy. I wanted to focus on original 16 franchises, pick at least one deadball era season for pitching and have a selection of moderate parks from which to choose. The A's are a strong pick as they have talent at various points throughout the century. Once I took 1910 to get access to E. Collins, Coombs and Bender, I grabbed the White Sox immediately thereafter so I could lock up Ed Walsh. Again, with a focus on defense and having regular players, I added '48 (Joost, Potter and a few other good bats) and '92 (A's bullpen with Raines, Ventura and F. Thomas).

$120M Chain
Since I wasn't picking high enough to get Ruth or a comparable bat, I focused on modern players with long careers to provide maximum flexibility during the draft. Once I got Carlton in the 1st round, I went after pitchers to round out a rotation (G. Perry and Blue) and grabbed a bullpen stud (Eck) in the first 4 rounds. Tony Perez was the mistake pick as I was trying to get into the Big Red Machine offense but wasn't able to do it. In this theme, I wanted consistent offense and defense rather than just a few superstars. While I have more HR power than I might have wanted, the nature of this league makes it more likely that there will be at least some HRs hit. For pitching, I wanted to have enough IP to survive the DH and focused on WHIP and Hit Rate. I wonder if Dodger Stadium was the best choice of park for this team.

No limit restricted choice
I agree with schwarze that the most expensive choices weren't necessarily the best choices. In building the offense, I wanted the best contact hitters who normalized the best and at least reasonable defense. Since it's more of a numbers game at higher caps, I worried less about range and not at all about catcher's arm as there aren't people here who can hurt you with a high SB%.
Dickey was the easy choice at Catcher. I've had good luck with '34 Gehrig at 1B in the past but he's been horrible here. Gehringer was another easy choice at 2B due to solid defense and the best overall normalized numbers. Boudreau was another easy pick at SS because of defense and a real-life 98/9 BB/K ratio. I believe that not striking out against high caliber pitchers is a big advantage in a high cap league. I chose Brett over Boggs at 3B because of the importance of defense there and the desire to have a little more power. The outfield of Hamilton, '04 Bonds and Musial came together for me quickly. Hamilton was the best D among the dead ball group with lots of BBs and few Ks. I didn't draft Bonds for HRs but for a ridiculous number of BBs. Musial is a great all around player who can hurt you offensively in any park and makes contact well. Hargrave makes a good platoon with Dickey, Stengel and Maddox are primarily defensive replacements. Teixiera has been surprisingly good vs. LHP and a defensive replacement for Gehrig. Shumpert is the IF backup. I wasn't a fan of any of the DH choices but Martinez has been particularly poor.

As with the $120M theme, I focused on WHIP, HR/9 and Hit Rate in selecting the pitchers. Alexander and Maddux have always been strong at this cap. Pedro's .71 HR/9 usually doesn't work well for me. Guidry was an easy choice among the LHPs. in picking Schmidt and Braxton, the strategy was more about doing as little harm as possible rather than picking studs at this cap level. I've always had better luck with Eckersley instead of Gagne. For Papelbon, Charlton, Carlos and Meredith, it was Hit Rate and lower HR/9 in almost every case. Not surprisingly, Wilhelm has given up lots of HR as I viewed him the least of the evils among those choices.

I picked PNC Park as I wanted to maximize hits for the offense (with pitchers with low OAVG and Hit Rates) while keeping down the long ball for some of my pitchers who are likely to give them up in this theme.
12/27/2009 1:48 PM
Team Building Strategies Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.