Or a more aggressive option: send Curry, Gallo, and Chandler to Philly for Iggy and Sam Dam. The Knicks would need to absorb ~ $8M of a cap hit- not sure they can take that and not sure that they can circumvent it by throwing in a couple of min-salary players. But anyway, if they find a way to make it work and then throw the MLE at Mike Miller, they could boast this starting lineup:

Miller
JJ
Iggy
Amar'e
Sam Dam

With Miller and JJ sharing the PG duties. It's a bit risky in that regard, but I think that's a legit contender.
5/12/2010 7:34 PM
I can't think of a team that has had 3 top 30 players and not at least made the conference finals. And I'm not talking top 30 talent, I mean actual guys that most people would have put in the top 30 in any given season. I'm sure it has probably happened, but I really can't think of a time in the last 20 years (you know when the league started expanding and diluting the talent pool) when it has happened.
5/12/2010 8:09 PM
Think harder, I'm sure you'll come up with something.
5/12/2010 8:14 PM
2006 Spurs with Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili lost in Round 2.

That's a pretty irrefutable group of talent, you're welcome.
5/12/2010 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ea162 on 5/12/2010since you think that a combination of 3 Top 30 players would put a team into title contention, whats the issue with getting 2 of those guys in this years free agency? especially with Curry's contract gone after this year so it can be used in a trade or the cap space could be used to entice another free agent in a yearor do you not view JJ/Amare/Boozer/Gay as Top 30 material?I am assuming you view Lee/Bosh as Top 30
I'm not 100% sold that Amare is top 30; big men who don't rebound and don't play defense don't sit well with me. Gay is certainly not top 30 right now (although I think he could be). I think JJ is top 30 for all the bashing I have done on him, but his last two playoff performances give me pause.

Just so we're all on the same page - when you say 'get' do you mean add to Lee, or do you mean get 2 and lose Lee? Either the statements have been vague or I am mis-reading (if it's the latter, I apologize).

I have mentioned that I'm OK with adding two guys from that list and keeping Lee.
5/12/2010 9:02 PM
im talking you get 2 right now out of the group, I dont imagine you can convince 3 of those guys to give a discount

then NY could get a 3rd either at the trade deadline or next off-season
5/12/2010 10:04 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By ea162 on 5/12/2010

crazier trades have happened

cough *Pau* cough

if you look at the results of that trade 2 years on it doesnt look so crazy - this season with a batch of nice young players Memphis finished nearly 20 wins ahead of where they finished in either of Pau's final two years

check it out - with Pau they were winning 20 games - they needed to shred down and overhaul plainly and they did

not a crazy trade - this is what the deal is - Isiaah - tear it down and rebuild and see what shakes down

what you're calling a crazy trade helped position them into a 20 win increase and after next season they are committed to exactly $0 against the cap with options on Mayo and Thabeet - and even this summer they are under the cap a decent amount
5/12/2010 10:33 PM
seriously?

they would have had the young guys either way, the picks from the Lakers and Crittenton all suck

that trade is Gasol for Gasol, and as good as Marc as become hes still not as good as his brother and at the time was nowhere near equal value

Grizzlies won 50, 45, 49 before Pau got hurt and they crashed in a loaded West, dumping Pau didnt improve that team
5/13/2010 1:53 AM
I'd classify it as 4 late 1st round values for Pau- Marc just happened to be the one that panned out. Remember he was only a few months removed from being the 47th pick in the draft, where the Grizzlies could have bought a pick and scooped him up for free. He had been playing well in Europe, and his value had taken an uptick, but he really didn't take off until he actually joined Memphis.
5/13/2010 7:02 AM
Here's NBA.com's breakdown for Memphis:

Why do the Grizzlies make this deal?
The Grizzlies weren't going anywhere with Gasol and are already firmly in rebuilding mode. They get some salary cap space with Kwame's expiring contract. On the court, they get the benefit of Kwame's defensive prowess. They also get Javaris Crittenton, who has shown immense promise in his limited time on the court. With the development of Jordan Farmar, he has been pushed to the background, perhaps more than was envisioned when he was drafted last summer. While the Grizzlies already have 3 point guards in Conley, Jr., Navarro and Lowry, they are all shorter point guards and Javaris with his height will bring a different dimension to their point guard mix. The Grizzlies also get 1st round picks in 2008 and 2010.

Not a single mention of Marc Gasol.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/080201detailsofthedeal.html
5/13/2010 7:04 AM
that's why the guys who manage NBA.com dont manage actual NBA teams

look at the results

+20 wins, tons of cleared cap space - you want to call it lucky go ahead - they employ a bunch of lucky executives and scouts whose job it is to evaluate talent and figure out cap situations and they do their best to get lucky and they got lucky

lucky them
5/13/2010 7:57 AM
and they used the cap space on Zach Randolph.
5/13/2010 8:29 AM
offering him a short term contract that was not maxed out and he played pretty well for them and in any event comes off the books after this upcoming season

and they in fact did not use all their cap space on him, they are under the cap this summer AND have 0/ZERO cap commitments after next season

I guess they just keep getting lucky
5/13/2010 8:55 AM
If they weren't in Memphis, I'd think they would be a better attraction for NBA players - zero state income tax.
5/13/2010 9:56 AM
the only contract the Grizzlies moved was Pau, not exactly clearing bad contracts away

the Grizzlies would have had the cap space by now anyways, Pau would have been a free agent but he signed an extension with the Lakers

they would have had all those young guys as well, Gay was already on the team, Mayo was their pick that summer after they moved Pau, so maybe they miss out on Thabeet, big deal

so again, the trade was Pau for Marc, dumbass trade

5/13/2010 10:09 AM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.