Official© 2010 Cubs Thread Topic

I believe I said "great" not "good".
12/22/2010 12:40 AM
All the more reason to wonder if you're high.
12/22/2010 8:22 AM
OH ****!!!

Sorry...just had a flashback of Bob Howry walking to the mound.
12/23/2010 12:40 AM
Damn you, okoutlaw. Damn you to Hell for posting that 2 days before Xmas.
12/23/2010 12:28 PM
12/29/2010 7:53 PM
A tidbit from the Cubs Convention last weekend:
Kaplan: “You’re at home. It’s a tie ballgame. It’s the bottom of the eighth. You’ve got, let’s say, Aramis Ramirez. Let’s pull someone out of thin air (sure). You’ve got guys at first and second. We keep seeing, not just the Cubs, everywhere in the game, ‘I can’t ask my 4-hole hitter to lay a bunt down. Why is that? A guy gets paid 15 million dollars. I can’t ask him to bunt.’ Then he shouldn’t be in the damn game.”
Quade: “We’ve just got a different philosophy there. I think he’s getting $15 million to drive in the winning run (applause). We can bunt him. They walk the 5-hole guy, and the fifth-hole guy hits into a double play. Then you’re asking me, ‘Why in the hell did you bunt Ramirez?’ Those guys in the middle of the order get paid to hit. Those middle-of-the-lineup guys have to drive in runs. When you start asking them to play small ball, you’re normally in trouble.”

I'm starting to like this Quade guy.  Keep taking down these Chicago ****** "journalists."
1/19/2011 4:46 PM
Didn't Reggie say "They don't pay me to bunt?"
1/19/2011 5:02 PM
I think so.
1/19/2011 5:08 PM
More:

Kaplan: “I interviewed Matt Garza the night. He said, Jan. 1, ‘I throw seven days a week. And I’m not talking about just playing catch. I throw.’ He said, ‘For some guys, it doesn’t work. For me, it’s kept me healthy.’”

Kaplan again: “This nonsense about pitch counts…”

Assistant GM Randy Bush: “Are you making an editorial comment, Kap?”

Kaplan: “A lot of people here will see a guy with 110 pitches, a 2-hitter in the eighth, and you yank him, and the closer gives it up. I’m not saying Marmol. It’s just in general in the game.” (Crowd laughs). Kap to Mike Quade: “What’s your philosophy?”

Quade: “Oh, my God. Every day is a new day. I will say this. And yes, I do pay attention to pitch counts. I don’t care what anybody says, you only have so many bullets in this arm, and you need them in September every bit as much as you need them in April. High pitch counts early in the season concern me. On a given day, guy’s throwing the ball well, let’s go, and especially an older guy and a guy who’s shown he can do it before. There’s all sorts of stuff that goes into letting a guy go 120, 122, 125. You’ve got old-timers out there who say Bob Gibson used to throw 150-160. You don’t take a bunch of kids who come through a system and watch and protect them very well arm wise, with 100-110 pitches and let them out there and say, ‘Let them go 155.’ You’re tempting fate, to me. The thing is to keep everybody healthy and productive the entire year.”

Kaplan should have a show with Joe Morgan.

1/19/2011 5:11 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Too bad all the Cubs fans died.   I'd be interested in what they think of Ricketts today.
5/2/2013 10:22 AM
mudbone did die?
5/2/2013 7:45 PM
YUP
5/2/2013 7:54 PM
feck

5/2/2013 8:50 PM
SO IS CEEZ, LAURA, LEPERMANJIM,ETC
5/2/2013 9:13 PM
◂ Prev 1...41|42|43|44 Next ▸
Official© 2010 Cubs Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.