ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

Bad luck.  His HR9 is way above his career average.   And, of course, small sample size.
4/5/2014 11:24 AM
Am I a chump for looking at durability and trying to keep position players playing around 100%?  I feel like I'm constantly getting beat by better teams with multiple players in the 80% range!
4/5/2014 1:01 PM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Duke Mills

What should I expect from The Duke going forward?  Surely he'll get better than his rookie season... I had hoped for a little better showing.  Small sample size right?
4/5/2014 2:34 PM

I keep mine as close to 100 as possible.   I have no idea how it affects production but 97 seems to increase the chance of injury.   I usually finish strong while those 87% teams do not.

He'll be better but he's not a set the world on fire kind of guy.

4/5/2014 5:14 PM
A general question about coaching, and sorry if this has been covered before, maybe not in the way I'm about to ask it...

The FAQ says coach IQ helps players develop their skills; Patience helps them work with younger players; Discipline is about how focused they are on throwing strikes, hitting the cutoff, that kind of thing.

Is there any evidence that position coaching ratings have an effect on in-game play?

Because if there isn't, then isn't it kind of wasteful to pay Major League coaches the most, when most ML players are at an age when their skills no longer develop? Unless you have young players still-developing players at the ML level, are coaches with the highest ratings actually being wasted at the ML level?

4/7/2014 8:37 AM
WifS has stated many times that coaches do not affect in game play(with the exception of the bench coach after a managerial ejection).   Of course, that can be avoided by setting the "argumentative" rating appropriately.    BL coaches can help slow decline in skills.   Personally, I don't spend big money on BL coaches(except FI).
4/7/2014 9:08 AM
Alright then, direct question. I have major league HC and PC with 90+ IQ. Next season I go with replacements of 78-80 IQ, with secondary ratings about the same. What effect would you expect to see on my ML roster?

4/7/2014 11:25 AM
Neglible.   People get worked up over 78 to 71.   While it may make a difference with a player rating, your BL roster is mostly going to be 27-31 y/o players.   They're not improving and they're not declining, at least not more than a point, regardless of coaching.    If, for some reason, you had mostly 21-23 and 35-38 y/o players, maybe you worry about those 10-12 points you're losing with a coach.
4/7/2014 11:29 AM
This has probably been asked, but should you for the most part always offer arbitration for the first year?
4/7/2014 4:10 PM
Yes.  And, unless they're older, I'd recommend offering it twice.   The only time I wouldn't is if I only wanted them for 5 seasons(say a 28 y/o SS).
4/7/2014 4:15 PM
You know that is not a question.
4/7/2014 4:24 PM
Any thoughts on why Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Dan Wilkerson did not receive a 2nd injury recovery bump yet?  I need him for the playoffs starting tomorrow so I can't leave him on the DL any longer, but for future reference, if you have any advice, it would be appreciated.
4/8/2014 12:26 PM
Why don't Fred Price and  Eduardo Ordaz draw more walks? Sample size?
4/8/2014 12:41 PM
I mean, really.  Who doesn't love bacon?
4/8/2014 1:23 PM
Looks like he was coming off the DL at about the same time as the season ended.  In my experience, the 100 game mark(more or less), is the death of the double injury recovery.  For example, if your player had a 36 day injury, he'd get a recovery around day 35 with the "Good news, Joe Schmoe has one more day of recovery.  Unfortunately, he has 25 more days on the DL list."    Then he'd get his second bump on day 59/60.  But, if that one falls during the last 5-6 games of the season, you don't always get it. 

If you're asking for career, Ordaz is pretty close to what I'd expect but Price is a ways off.    Roughly, the difference between BA and OBP is the eye rating.   Meaning a guy with a .270 average and 60 eye will have an OBP around .330.   If you're asking this season, yeah, just SSS.  You could be in a league with a bunch of "If he don't have 80 control, I don't want him" freaks.    When a 90 control faces a 90 eye, the result isn't what one owner would expect.

Well, I don't think I "love" bacon.   But, if someone says "Hey, you want some of this bacon?", I don't go "Oh, no, not me.  No bacon for this fella" either.

4/8/2014 2:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...801|802|803|804|805...1151 Next ▸
ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.