ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

Ever been in a world with an active owner on an active L19 who the commish doesnt think is tanking? (BTW, who has now fallen into projected 1st pick)... If so, what did you do? If not, got any advice? (Besides stop joining bad worlds)
12/17/2014 1:18 AM
Now that WIS has updated their dinosaur HBD software in order to (in their own words) be able to make further updates, do you think they will actually bother to make any updates? If so, which would be at the top of your priority list?
12/17/2014 2:47 AM
I haven't.   If he's blatantly tanking(players out of position, pitchers at 0, etc, etc), you can report it to WifS.  They'll send him a warning.   That's about it other than don't join bad worlds.

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=455110&Page=1   They're all still relevant.    In addition, a couple of bells/whistles would be nice. 
1. Logo/color options.   Purely cosmetic but I think the current customer base would get a warm fuzzy over it.
2. World size options.   I believe HBD is dying.  As has been discussed ad nauseam, I don't think there are thousands of people out there dying to play a game like HBD.  So customer retention takes on a new importance while new owners trickle, not flood, to the website.  Virtually no one likes to merge.   So having the option to reduce world size seems to be the best option. 
12/17/2014 8:23 AM
Got a player going into his 3rd arb who I'm not sold on long term, but I would concede the possibility that he has a good season in his walk year.

With a 66 Patience rating, if I arb him a 3rd time is he more likely to walk next year or be open to re-signing?

He wants 4 years LT.  I don't mind the dollars but not sure about the term.  Can I offer him a shorter term?

12/18/2014 2:11 PM

Pretty sure he'll walk.

You can but the money will have to total out.   Meaning if he wants 4/30, you can get him for 3/30.  Not exactly a bargain.   Backload and offer a mutual option in S4 to limit your exposure.

12/18/2014 5:11 PM
I have a guy up for arb who is asking for 3.7m during the arb process. Long-term he's looking for 3.6m for...a duration of 1 year. There's a good chance I can get him for less than that by offering 3 or 3.2 or whatever, but why would the LT number be for a less amount if they both would only last 1 year?

And do you think there's any proof that the prospect would enjoy being signed to the "LT" deal versus the arb deal for the 1 year?
12/18/2014 11:38 PM
It's a flaw in the program.

No, I do not.
12/19/2014 7:56 AM
Just a confirmation please... if a player has 90+ patience, is it relatively (nothing is 100%) safe to go through a 3rd arb with him thinking he'll be open to re-signing after that?
12/19/2014 8:42 AM
Most owners will say "yes".   I say "I'm not taking that chance if I want him back."    At the end of the day, we control a player for 10 seasons at a minimum.   He should be on decline when that's up.   I'm not risking losing 5 seasons from a player I like in order to get one more season.
12/19/2014 8:58 AM
I have this guy in the minors:

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=6540958

Do you think he can be a legit #2 starter? His control will be fine, and his first pitch is already 90, but I don't see his vL rating getting above 60.

For what it's worth, he suffered an injury near the end of last season that cost him about 2 points in all the key skill ratings (he also missed the last regular season ratings update).
12/20/2014 4:08 PM

Kinda hard to be a 2 with 60 VL.    Two guys I have:
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Javy Gutierrez
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ivan Bonilla

Gutierrez might be considered a 2 on some teams, Bonilla doesn't have the stats to back up a 2 designation. 

12/20/2014 4:16 PM
Remind me how this works. I have 20 in medical. Pitcher was put on the 60-day DL, and got one injury recovery before the season ended.  After rollover, he was still hurt, and I put him back on the 60-day, and he got another injury recovery.  Should I be keeping him on the DL, waiting for another "injury recovery" or should I be activating and playing him now?
12/22/2014 11:23 AM
I'd wait.  Sometimes they get "caught" in those situations and you get several recovery cycles.    Assuming, of course, he's recovering in a category you like.
12/22/2014 11:26 AM
I took on a team in Hardball Central as a swap to fill another world. I do not have the greatest track record in HBD and usually try to build through amateur and Rule V drafts which can take some time.

This time around I decided that I did not like the makeup of the team and tried the best of my ability to rid myself of some poor contracts and probably made more trades in spring training than I have made in an entire season. I'm hopeful I am re-tooling effectively and efficiently.

Would you mind taking a quick glance at my team (Fresno Fire) and let me know if my team can win between 60-70 games this season as currently built?
12/23/2014 11:37 AM
You don't have a SS and your hitting is mediocre at best.   Your pitching looks pretty good.   I'd have to evaluate the entire world to give you a definitive answer but, judging from last season's standings, there aren't a bunch of "super" teams.   Only one team won 100+ on your side of the bracket.   I think you'll be OK.   But I'd get a SS.
12/23/2014 11:44 AM
◂ Prev 1...856|857|858|859|860...1151 Next ▸
ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.