ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

would you like to receive a sitemail from sergei?
2/12/2015 7:25 AM
I would not.
2/12/2015 8:26 AM
does sergei actually know how to use sitemail or is he just bluffing?
2/12/2015 9:10 AM
He is adept at sitemail usage.
2/12/2015 9:38 AM
Why is a 6-year minor league free-agent asking for so much money? The high demands are due to the fact that owners in HBD allow players to become 6-year minor league FAs that never would in real life. As a result, the demands are based on ratings, age and experience. We agree that it is very strange to see a 6-year FA asking for a contract in the millions, but it would also be very strange to see one player (6 year minor leaguer) asking for a minor league contract while another (major league FA) with the same skill set asks for $3M. Players that would fit into the category of a true 6-year minor league free-agent (a player that is not a prospect and has exhausted his time with a franchise) ask for the realistic amount. As we add the Rule 5 draft in the future, we hope this will reduce these higher than expected demands.

Do you think, as I do, that this part of the game is absolutely busted?  I've read the above a number of times and I really don't get it.

Furthermore, here's how this plays out in real gameplay:  Everyone in the world knows this type of Player X is a career triple A player, they'd never sign him to a major league deal and put him on the 40, he gets passed over for veteran free agents who actually have played in the majors and cost less because they're supposedly declining.  Only noobs ever sign these types of players (I confess I did) and they quickly realize why there are career minor leaguers in HBD.

In real life, this type of player retires or goes to play in Japan or Nicaragua or something.

Would you say it's something that needs fixing?  I'd think about it, but I know it's minor enough that it's not going to get fixed.

2/12/2015 11:00 AM
I think it's an "odd" situation and we tend to look at it as "real-life" as opposed to a sim.    As an example, I imagine the 26 y/o damag or MikeT, who've toiled in the minors for 6 years and never sniffed the bigs, would jump at a minimum wage BL contract.   "WOO-HOO, WE FINALLY MADE IT!!!!"    But, truth is, most do exactly what you suggest:  Go home and manage to local hardware store or try to keep playing in another country.   However, in this game, some owners manage to stockpile quality players and, at some point, are forced to remove the borderline guys from the 40.   And that's how we get what we get.    The "fix" I think would work best would be for those types to ask for 1-1.5m.   Kind of like a 1st year arb guy.   They might get signed as cheap labor and, if they don't, have them retire at the end of ST if they're not on a roster.    But, honestly, I'm not sure it's that big of a deal.   They ask for 5m, no one signs them, their ratings decline and they're out of the game in a couple of seasons.   The current way just delays the inevitable.
2/12/2015 11:15 AM
WTF is going on? My two HBD teams have not simmed their PM game and it is close to an hour behind.
2/12/2015 12:36 PM
Pretty sure today is the day they're doing some updates for purchasing the games.
2/12/2015 1:21 PM
How did sergei, who you've established is not exactly a rocket scientist, figure out how to use sitemail?  Does this fall into the "even a blind squirrel can occasionally find a nut" category?
2/12/2015 8:46 PM

Here's my theory on HBD:   A blind, one nut monkey, slamming his little monkey hands on a keyboard, can build a HBD team that wins 55 games.   So, obviously, it also applies to learning how to use sitemail.

2/12/2015 9:43 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/5/2015 12:09:00 PM (view original):
I don't use closers because you leave too many innings on the table.   Diamond can give you 160-180 innings.   As a closer, he'll give you 70.   My guess is he will be one of the top 4 pitchers on your staff.   I wouldn't throw away 100 innings, 11-12 games worth of innings, as a closer.  SuA, 7th inning, 25-40 pitches.   That will make him a lot more valuable.

Manto will be an average RP.   Maybe.  He might be worse.
My dilemma with this is how do you make the sim use your best guys first and so on down the line? I almost wish I could rank my guys Setup A,B,C,D but have no way of doing it. Do you just have your 'closers' as setup A and then the rest as setup B?
2/12/2015 9:55 PM
Excerpt from a sitemail I sent a couple of days ago:   "Basically, I want my best two RP pitching the 7/8/9th innings. That's why I set two for 7th inning."

2/12/2015 10:16 PM
Do I know the person to whom you sent the Sitemail from whence that excerpt was taken?
2/12/2015 10:41 PM
Probably.
2/13/2015 9:10 AM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Dick Barney
Is it too much to expect this guy to be a serviceable SUB with say a 4.25 ERA and 1.3 WHIP? 
I don't expect greatness from him and thought maybe this season would be a little better.  Instead he's still getting crushed. 

2/13/2015 8:46 PM
◂ Prev 1...877|878|879|880|881...1151 Next ▸
ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.