Free Agency and Franchise Players Topic

See: Cliff Lee-MLB pitcher

6/30/2010 10:07 AM
Because for every Roy Halladay who does that, there's a Cliff Lee who will not. 

Try and get the best deal you can or keep him and try to win the WS. 
6/30/2010 10:09 AM
There's the argument that EVERY PLAYER offered the max deal should sign.  It's actually a legit argument, because a player isn't getting a better deal, until you realize and accept the abuse that can be committed.   A team could be crippled for 3-4 seasons if an owner offered all his departing FA the max deal for "one last run" and then dumps the team after the first season.   Teams with big salaries and old players litter the available team lists now.
6/30/2010 10:16 AM
Cliff Lee is TBD, we can argue about him later when he does get traded and either signs a new deal or not.
6/30/2010 10:17 AM
Seems he's been traded a couple of times because he won't sign a new deal. 
6/30/2010 10:25 AM
I got f'd up the poop chute same way, but as a roll the dice on a stud rental and hope to resign.

I think the theme of this thread; fun if you can keep him ad infinitum, not fun if he leaves.

Where's apollo7? We need a "more fun" rating on this.
6/30/2010 10:45 AM
It's still fun for someone.  Like the team getting a Cy Young candidate.
6/30/2010 10:48 AM
IMO, it was fun for me losing him.

I had a "oh, you jackass, you got f'd" moment, laughed, watched him sign for a stupid 5 year contact that will be useless in years 4 and 5, and scrambled to try to fill the hole.

I mean, you deal with it.
Really, if you knew a guy you drafted at 19 would be in your organization until he's 37 if you do x, y and z, like it is some sort of Pac Man follow the pattern strategy to get to level 50, who would enjoy that?

Save for the people that spent $800 in the 80's employing that strategy playing Pac Man?
6/30/2010 11:06 AM
Posted by deathinahole on 6/30/2010 10:45:00 AM (view original):
I got f'd up the poop chute same way, but as a roll the dice on a stud rental and hope to resign.

I think the theme of this thread; fun if you can keep him ad infinitum, not fun if he leaves.

Where's apollo7? We need a "more fun" rating on this.
or more fun if WIS had a function that allows you to trade someone who won't re-sign with you to a team that is then allowed to sign him long-term for a premium?
6/30/2010 12:29 PM
You want a "permission to negotiate" function. Which, actually, ain't a bad idea.

Sounds like something for the Suggestions forum.
6/30/2010 12:30 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/30/2010 10:16:00 AM (view original):
There's the argument that EVERY PLAYER offered the max deal should sign.  It's actually a legit argument, because a player isn't getting a better deal, until you realize and accept the abuse that can be committed.   A team could be crippled for 3-4 seasons if an owner offered all his departing FA the max deal for "one last run" and then dumps the team after the first season.   Teams with big salaries and old players litter the available team lists now.

Since death evidently missed why a "permission to negotiate" clause would be good.

6/30/2010 12:38 PM
Posted by jmercer77 on 6/29/2010 9:37:00 PM (view original):
thanks soxfan, Beckett is the guy and that's the answer. so low patience ratings =  more likely to fo fa. I'm not whining about him not spending his entire career with me, just that I'll never get fair value because we can't trade someone who will then sign with the new team, like, ahem iain, Halladay and Santana.

Are you suggesting that the Twins or Blue Jays got fair market value?

Please don't. They most certainly didn't.
6/30/2010 3:10 PM
Didn't CC Sabathia do the same when he got traded to the Brewers? That is, didn't agree to an extension?

I'm pretty sure I've had a guy who refused to resign with his team get traded to my team and be willing to resign with my team before.
6/30/2010 4:21 PM
Posted by jmercer77 on 6/30/2010 10:05:00 AM (view original):
Beckett is not just a star, he is the world career leader in WHIP, ERA, and OBP and OAV allowed, all while playing in a hitter friendly park his entire career. He'll be 31 when he walks, and there is absolutely no way that I will get fair value for him. WIS should be a mechanism that allows you to trade your star player that is going to walk no matter what while at the same time allowing for the team that acquires that player to sign him to a long-term deal at a premium, even if it's close to a max deal. Why not?
Fair value for him is how little you had to pay for his performance.  Whatever you were able to pay other guys during that time also counts.  The only thing that brings it close to being level is the fact that you now have to pay more to replace him.

What you saved over that term counts too. 
6/30/2010 8:11 PM
Posted by kjmulli on 6/30/2010 10:07:00 AM (view original):
Posted by kingjohndevi on 6/29/2010 9:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jmercer77 on 6/29/2010 9:37:00 PM (view original):
thanks soxfan, Beckett is the guy and that's the answer. so low patience ratings =  more likely to fo fa. I'm not whining about him not spending his entire career with me, just that I'll never get fair value because we can't trade someone who will then sign with the new team, like, ahem iain, Halladay and Santana.

its not just low patience. If they are rated overall over an 80 or so they will leave no matter what from what I've seen. not sure I've seen a 99 patience leave but I'm not sure I've seen a guy with a 'star' with over an 80 overall not leave, thats for a bigger nerd than i to figure out.

Javier Henriquez should help disspell that "anyone rated over an 80 won't re-sign" notion. A 91 overall who was more than happy to re-sign with me for far less than what he would have gotten on the open market.

I think someone, somewhere, at some point said team sucess plays a factor in a player's decision on whether or not to re-sign with their team. I could be completely making this up, but I don't think I am. I just don't have a clue where I heard it from.

i'm sure there are lots of different factors as far as a superstar deciding to stay with the only franchise he's ever known, but i had a multiple cy young winner who i had since birth. we were a playoff contender every season up until i traded him. i went to re-sign him to another long term deal but he already had his mind made up that he was leaving (which is why i traded him).
i'll come back with his patience rating in a minute...
7/21/2010 2:49 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Free Agency and Franchise Players Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.