yatzr's recruiting tool v1.9.3 - another bugfix Topic

Posted by nshreders on 9/21/2010 6:38:00 PM (view original):
downloaded stagg58d2Recruits.dat with 1.0 version and it keeps saying to use a valid recruits file. I can confirm every single file is in the same folder
Weird...it seems like some browsers aren't downloading it correctly if you just left click it.  I'm using firefox in windows and it didn't work for me either, but if I right click it and "Save As" it works.  Give that a try.  I may have to zip those up or something to put them on the site.
9/21/2010 9:39 PM
I changed the extension to .yatz (I couldn't think of anything else) and the browser seems to handle that just fine.  You can still select it like that and it will work.  I'm going to work on getting them all changed to .yatz (or anything else if there's any requests, lol)
9/21/2010 10:01 PM
just an FYI

sometimes Windows will rename it to a .zip
other times (using other versions) Windows will actually convert it to a zip
9/22/2010 11:46 AM
i am working on some geographic analysis of this data.  things are going swimmingly so far. i have some fairly interesting analysis of the DIA/DIAA datasets, like  # of recruits per state, # of recruits per metro area (MSA and CSA), # of recruits within 180 miles of each school, within 360 miles of each school...  et cetera.

the goal is to build a model that represents the best places to recruit.  I have some ideas about how to accomplish this.

sooner or later i am going to apply a formula to rank the recruits by talent,  and then apply a geographic layer that I call the "Competition Index."  The competition index would water down the 'value' of a recruit in Indiana (where competition is high) compared to a recruit in Oregon (where it is low).

the competition index needs a mathematical formula to represent the difference in recruiting power between an elite, a BCS, and a non-BCS,  which i don't have yet.  I also may incorporate both a 180-mile and a 360-mile analysis, and i'd need to devise a coefficient that would accurately represent the difference between recruiting inside 180, verses 180-360.

what i need, still,  is more data. I am only in two worlds, and so i only have two datasets.  i don't know quite what sort of sample size i need to even out the seasonal fluctuations by position and geography.

don't ask why i'm doing all this, i'm just a nerd when it comes to maps.
9/22/2010 12:17 PM (edited)
If all you need is a spreadsheet of the recruits and you don't care about vision or miles from your school, you can load up any recruit file.  Just give the program a valid team ID (doesn't even have to be from the same world as the recruits) and any recruit file.  You can then export those recruits like normal.  If that doesn't work, I can modify the program to make it work.
9/22/2010 1:01 PM
yep, i tried that but it didn't work for me.   using valid inputs, i couldn't download the recruits from worlds i wasn't in.

X and Y coordinates are the only critical need.  attributes/ratings, hometown are helpful.  it would be great if a ratings system was built-in, and calculated per position, since that is a pain in the *** to calculate manually;  i saw that there seems to be a widely accepted one already that you posted the formula to.
9/22/2010 2:37 PM
that did it yatz.. thanks
9/22/2010 5:29 PM
Posted by reeeems on 9/22/2010 2:38:00 PM (view original):
yep, i tried that but it didn't work for me.   using valid inputs, i couldn't download the recruits from worlds i wasn't in.

X and Y coordinates are the only critical need.  attributes/ratings, hometown are helpful.  it would be great if a ratings system was built-in, and calculated per position, since that is a pain in the *** to calculate manually;  i saw that there seems to be a widely accepted one already that you posted the formula to.
You shouldn't need to download anything.  The coordinates and hometowns are already in the recruit files.  All you need to do is create the new season and then export the recruits.
9/23/2010 9:24 AM
it won't allow me to use a recruit file,  if i don't have a team in that world.

9/23/2010 9:37 AM
Posted by reeeems on 9/23/2010 9:37:00 AM (view original):
it won't allow me to use a recruit file,  if i don't have a team in that world.

Yes it will.  I just tried loading a rockne recruit file using my wilkinson team id.  It loaded fine and I was able to export the recruits.
9/23/2010 10:04 AM
you're right, i got it working.

thanks.
9/24/2010 7:13 AM
The mileage for the Bryant  season 63 (D1A + B1AA) recruits is not correct - it doesn't start out at 0 and a really nice RB that the tool says is only 135 miles away is actually over 1000.
9/24/2010 9:21 AM
Now... can you make this an android app? I'd donate to that effort for sure...
9/24/2010 9:28 AM
Posted by mgm0461 on 9/24/2010 9:21:00 AM (view original):
The mileage for the Bryant  season 63 (D1A + B1AA) recruits is not correct - it doesn't start out at 0 and a really nice RB that the tool says is only 135 miles away is actually over 1000.
I must've forgotten to fix that one.  It should be fixed now.  Thanks for letting me know.
9/24/2010 8:21 PM
Posted by doboji on 9/24/2010 9:28:00 AM (view original):
Now... can you make this an android app? I'd donate to that effort for sure...
I probably couldn't make this an android app, but if you have any good ideas for one, I'd be happy to try.  I recently got a droid 2 and I've been looking for a reason to try making an app for it.
9/24/2010 8:22 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...28 Next ▸
yatzr's recruiting tool v1.9.3 - another bugfix Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.