All Forums > SimLeague Baseball > Progressive Theme League Classifieds > Progressive Leagues Wall of Shame
12/28/2010 1:32 PM
How about an owner who informs the commish he is not returning, citing "Money real tight right now,cutting back there on other leagues."
The team he is leaving has a payroll of 74M and is in the playoff hunt. Next season's payroll drops to 53M.

Then three days ago, I see he has joined another progressive league.
12/28/2010 1:46 PM
Somewhat questionable. However, we have to allow people the right to choose to leave a progressive and join another if they want to. There could be other issues like not getting along with other owners, etc. He DID give notice, at least. Did he make moves during the season that would significantly damage his future?
12/28/2010 2:13 PM
Posted by slickstick81 on 12/28/2010 1:32:00 PM (view original):
How about an owner who informs the commish he is not returning, citing "Money real tight right now,cutting back there on other leagues."
The team he is leaving has a payroll of 74M and is in the playoff hunt. Next season's payroll drops to 53M.

Sounds like a liar...post him.
12/28/2010 3:27 PM
Posted by mattedesa on 12/28/2010 1:46:00 PM (view original):
Somewhat questionable. However, we have to allow people the right to choose to leave a progressive and join another if they want to. There could be other issues like not getting along with other owners, etc. He DID give notice, at least. Did he make moves during the season that would significantly damage his future?
I agree with you.  Sometimes you join a league and its just not enjoyable for whatever reason.  He did give notice, and as long as he didn't trade away his first round pick in the following season(s) I wouldn't put him on the list.  The whole idea of this is to be fun, if its not fun then whats the point? 

As a league commish, I take pride in the leagues I run, and would rather an owner say he doesn't have the time/money than to tell me my league isn't any fun.  But thats just me :)  
12/28/2010 4:58 PM
10/4/2010 8:27 PM

slickstick81

Outbacker made a trade with wgasa on Thursday, Sept 29th and has since disappeared.
He opened my last sitemail asking "what's going on outbacker," but has not responded.
I think it's safe to say he cowardly bailed.

Anyhow, I will donate $12.95 to WIS and run his team this season.

He needed four more picks, as he incorrectly posted the number of keepers/picks needed.

Last four picks.
Lou Kretlow P
Bob Miller (tigers rookie) P
Dick Littlefield P
Johnny Lindell P
12/29/2010 1:25 AM
Posted by sheller on 11/20/2010 6:48:00 PM (view original):
Yeah - mensu1954 is a model of what you hope would happen when an owner can get to the site because of an emergency.  I think he posted from a public library or some place like that explaining what happened and that he wasn't going to be able to be on site for a while.

Actually, there are a couple other owners who I never would have thought would ditch out, too.  Popular guys who I have no other beef with except they left a number of people in the lurch - ozomatli and ooooohdoggie. 
Wow...I can't believe I've never noticed this thread...great idea Russ!

The circumstance Steve is talking about was when lightning struck our house and left me w/o internet for a month.  I used my cell phone (which had no internet plan) to sitemail a few owners and let them know of my circumstance.  This cost me well over $200, but I felt it was necessary not to keep everyone in the dark.  Al (Bootone) was my primary contact and I greatly appreciate the job he did in keeping everyone informed.  Thanks for the kind words, Steve!
12/29/2010 3:17 PM
Posted by rooskie on 12/28/2010 2:13:00 PM (view original):

I was in a crappy mood when I posted this...if an owner gives adequate notice, which as yet has been undetermined, he should be able to leave a league with no repercussions. I think an owner needs to let a commish know at least within a day or two of the 120 game date. Running a team into the ground and then giving notice is a little iffy. Owners should run a franchise as if it was real, IMHO. an owner wouldn't run a team into the ground before selling it and we should all show the same courtesy when handing a franchise back to a league.
1/3/2011 12:41 PM
New Year Bump...
1/9/2011 10:23 AM (edited)
Posted by rooskie on 12/29/2010 3:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rooskie on 12/28/2010 2:13:00 PM (view original):

I was in a crappy mood when I posted this...if an owner gives adequate notice, which as yet has been undetermined, he should be able to leave a league with no repercussions. I think an owner needs to let a commish know at least within a day or two of the 120 game date. Running a team into the ground and then giving notice is a little iffy. Owners should run a franchise as if it was real, IMHO. an owner wouldn't run a team into the ground before selling it and we should all show the same courtesy when handing a franchise back to a league.
the user is topkat.
he just joined another new league on 1/5/11.
His mantra is join a new prog league, draft for short term and bail.

League started with the '75 season

1.3 - Rod Carew  (oh dear) 
2.22 - Fergie Jenkins
 3.3 - Dave Goltz ('75-'78)
4.22 - Bake McBride (yikes)
 5.3 - Manny Sanguillen (good ghad)
6.22 - Steve Busby (uh, yeah - GREAT '75 SEASON)
 7.3 - George Scott (another 3 year guy)
8.22 - Jim Todd (that's right - one year wonder relief man)

You get the idea?!? This guy of course went to the world series in '75, stunk in '76, current record 70-57 in '77
then in the dumper.

His intent was to win and bail. Fortunately, he lost to jpccr who went the win and bail route.

The team has been posted in this here theme league classified section, with no takers.
So, I will probably have to offer a free team or run it myself for a season or two.

these owners need to be posted on the wall of shame
TOPKAT
JPCCR
OUTBACKER

He pulled the same stunt in my league that started in 1950.
He won the WS in '51, lost the series in '53. Is leaving a mess 
after the current '54 season.
A 15M dollar pitching staff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/9/2011 11:00 AM
Why is outbacker on this list?????
1/9/2011 2:01 PM
scroll up to see my post on 12/28/2010 4:58 PM
1/9/2011 3:04 PM
Did he wind up quitting, were you able to find a replacement
1/9/2011 11:00 PM
I ran the team for a season (ponied up the $12.95) and then brought in a new owner a season later.
1/11/2011 12:51 PM
A couple of owners to add to the list:

c08jt (Progressive Eliminator) - Joined and won the first season, then went MIA in the middle of the off season before season 3. He popped in for a day to say he'd have everything done, but after about a week with no communication the league moved on without him. He's a fairly new user, and has a pretty good win/league ratio so I'm hoping this hasn't been a trend.

tedco (???) - I forget the name of the league, but he started a progressive league in 1946 I believe. He went MIA after the first season and the league died as quickly as it began. I would generally just avoid any progressive started by rookies, but this had a lot of guys I'm in other leagues with so I couldn't resist. I see he's trying to start a new league and felt I should post.
1/12/2011 9:59 PM (edited)
I have three guys who are late turning in keepers for the WIBL progressive I just took over. One sitemailed me to say that his PC crashed, and he's borrowing time on a relative's computer to try to get things together. I say kudos to him for finding a way to let me know. Stuff happens to everyone - we'll be patient. The second owner hasn't opened sitemails for almost three weeks. Sounds like he's bailed, but with unopened sitemails, I have to leave open the potential for an emergency that's kept him away. I'll allow him to anonymously disappear. The third owner has opened no less than 4 sitemails from me over the past three weeks, but has replied to none of them. He's on the site, but doesn't even have the courtesy to me or the other owners to send one quick sitemail to let us know what's going on. That's the kind of behavior that gets someone on this list.

Edited - the unresponsive owner came back all of a sudden. I took his name down.
of 17
All Forums > SimLeague Baseball > Progressive Theme League Classifieds > Progressive Leagues Wall of Shame

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.