Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

Since you're a Mets fan, I can understand that you don't understand that Williams, Damon or Mattingly are not Jeter.    There is a special attachment to Jeter, and it may be fueled by the haters from other teams, that none of those three even close to getting(and Mattingly is my all-time favorite player).    I wasn't old enough for the Mantle years and I wasn't around for the Yogi, Babe or Gehrig years.   But, nonetheless, I imagine the attachment to those guys was similar.   Yankee fans will continue to be Yankee fans, with or without Jeter, and they'll cheer(or boo) the next guy who plays SS at the Stadium but something will be lost forever if Jeter is forced out with a "This is our offer, take it or leave it" negotiation from the Yankees. 
11/23/2010 5:54 PM
While it is not totally the same think of how the Favre legacy was destroyed in Green Bay.
11/23/2010 5:56 PM
I think the Yankees know it won't come to Jeter being forced out because he wouldn't accept a 3 yr, $45 mil offer.  I'd be shocked if he didn't accept an offer close to that. But regardless, maybe you're right and I just don't understand the connection a lot of Yankee fans have with Jeter.  I've never had that kind of connection with any Mets player (I know, haha, they've never had any good ones)...but I've always seen players as interchangable pieces.  Put the best team together to win the most games possible, regardless of how much we like them. 
11/23/2010 6:05 PM
Seaver?
11/23/2010 6:09 PM
Washington Redskins-with a guaranteed 5 year deal worth 100 zillion dollars
11/23/2010 6:09 PM
Posted by timeprime71 on 11/23/2010 6:09:00 PM (view original):
Seaver?
I'm only 27.
11/23/2010 6:10 PM
Close enough to draw a parallel.   Favre wanted the organization to pander to him.  They got tired of doing it.    He left and Packers fans thought one of two ways:  1.  Favre is a selfish bastard   2.  The Packers should have kept him around after all he's done for them.   Aaron Rodgers playing well has turned a lot of #2 into #1.  Had he pulled an Alex Smith, the Packers headquarters would have been burnt to the ground.
11/23/2010 6:11 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/23/2010 6:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by timeprime71 on 11/23/2010 6:09:00 PM (view original):
Seaver?
I'm only 27.
Im older and I remember.  But that was the 1st, last and only.  But even though I can't understand what the Yank fans feel 1st hand, I can still understand. 
11/23/2010 6:13 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/23/2010 6:05:00 PM (view original):
I think the Yankees know it won't come to Jeter being forced out because he wouldn't accept a 3 yr, $45 mil offer.  I'd be shocked if he didn't accept an offer close to that. But regardless, maybe you're right and I just don't understand the connection a lot of Yankee fans have with Jeter.  I've never had that kind of connection with any Mets player (I know, haha, they've never had any good ones)...but I've always seen players as interchangable pieces.  Put the best team together to win the most games possible, regardless of how much we like them. 
I'm like that also.  Root for the uni.   However, Jeter is a special case.  I can't explain it properly but he is. 
11/23/2010 6:13 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/23/2010 6:11:00 PM (view original):
Close enough to draw a parallel.   Favre wanted the organization to pander to him.  They got tired of doing it.    He left and Packers fans thought one of two ways:  1.  Favre is a selfish bastard   2.  The Packers should have kept him around after all he's done for them.   Aaron Rodgers playing well has turned a lot of #2 into #1.  Had he pulled an Alex Smith, the Packers headquarters would have been burnt to the ground.
I dont think its anywhere close because of the type of people you are dealing with.  With Brett, it ALL ABOUT HIM.  Jeter -complete opposite.  IMO
11/23/2010 6:14 PM
explained properly... "he gives you a giant boner."
11/23/2010 6:15 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/23/2010 6:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/23/2010 6:05:00 PM (view original):
I'm like that also.  Root for the uni.   However, Jeter is a special case.  I can't explain it properly but he is. 
And I root for the uni, almost to a fault but YES Jeter is different.  Jeter is special.  I see it as a Met fan.  And a agree if you dont get it you just dont get it.
11/23/2010 6:16 PM
Maybe this will help burnsy.   As I understand it, David Wright is the man for the Mets.   Santana is a the ace, Reyes is probably the most talented but, by and large, Wright is the "fan's guy".   Now imagine, and this might be tough, the Mets winning 5 of the next 10 WS with Wright as the leader.  Players come and go but he's the constant.   Then, as his career fades, the Mets say "Thanks, here's an offer that will let you retire as Met.  Take it or leave it."   I just can't imagine that sitting well with the Mets fanbase.
11/23/2010 6:24 PM
I will go with "I don't get it" and not make this an argument again...I suppose I don't need to understand everything.
11/23/2010 6:25 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/23/2010 6:24:00 PM (view original):
Maybe this will help burnsy.   As I understand it, David Wright is the man for the Mets.   Santana is a the ace, Reyes is probably the most talented but, by and large, Wright is the "fan's guy".   Now imagine, and this might be tough, the Mets winning 5 of the next 10 WS with Wright as the leader.  Players come and go but he's the constant.   Then, as his career fades, the Mets say "Thanks, here's an offer that will let you retire as Met.  Take it or leave it."   I just can't imagine that sitting well with the Mets fanbase.
OK - maybe it has to do with the winning championships.  Yankee fans associate those wins with the teams best player who's been there for all of it.  I think thats the best explanation so far...

I'll ask this though - let's say Hanley Ramirez was on the open market right now.  Do you succumb to Jeter's demands? Or do you pay a little more to get Hanley?  I feel like, even though it's painful from an emotional aspect, you would want to get the best player, no?
11/23/2010 6:30 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...31 Next ▸
Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.