R.I.P. Ron Santo Topic

Maybe not Traynor, I suppose it helps to actually look at his numbers...
12/7/2011 10:57 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/7/2011 10:41:00 AM (view original):
I don't object to his enshrinement as much as it seems.   The HOF stopped meaning anything long ago.   The best thing they could do is section it off. 

Great players - Ruth, Cobb, Young, etc, etc
Great accomplishments - Larsen's no-hitter, Rose's hits, Rickey's SB, etc, etc
The rest - Santo, Rizzuto, Puckett, etc, etc. 

Of course, people will gripe that they're treating Santo and Puckett as 2nd class citizens.
"The rest" would pretty much cover the VC selections.
12/7/2011 11:12 AM
where is the section for players that they should have put in the Hall, but screwed up?
12/7/2011 3:04 PM
THE LOCAL TAVERN
12/7/2011 3:13 PM
Like the immortal Gary Gaetti?
12/7/2011 3:13 PM
I don't object to his enshrinement as much as it seems.   The HOF stopped meaning anything long ago.   The best thing they could do is section it off. 

Of course, people will gripe that they're treating Santo and Puckett as 2nd class citizens.
I like this idea a lot. Great players and great accomplishments should have special recognition. There are a lot of "the rest" and for them it should suffice to be a HOFer. Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Young, Mays, Mantle, Aaron...kinda in a class by themselves. Blyleven, Santo, Puckett, Scooter not even close...
12/7/2011 4:14 PM
Posted by winnetka1 on 12/7/2011 4:14:00 PM (view original):

I like this idea a lot. Great players and great accomplishments should have special recognition. There are a lot of "the rest" and for them it should suffice to be a HOFer. Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Young, Mays, Mantle, Aaron...kinda in a class by themselves. Blyleven, Santo, Puckett, Scooter not even close...

You do know Rizzuto is HOF, right?   He's the Yankee Santo.

12/7/2011 10:17 PM

A related idea that occurred to me...what if MLB took a leaf out of the NHL's book and named their divisions after some of the all-time greats?

AL East-Ruth Division
AL Central-Cobb Division
AL West-Foxx Division

NL East-Aaron Division
NL Central-Clemente Division
NL West-Robinson Division

Change the names if you feel like it.  But it's a thought worth considering.
12/7/2011 10:38 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/7/2011 10:17:00 PM (view original):

You do know Rizzuto is HOF, right?   He's the Yankee Santo.

I loved watching his commercials on TV...Scooter....and I actually liked his broadcasts too. Lived in NY 20 years was a Yankee fan during the 80's and 90's
12/7/2011 10:55 PM
The Money Store
12/7/2011 10:56 PM
Posted by jm1618 on 12/7/2011 10:38:00 PM (view original):

A related idea that occurred to me...what if MLB took a leaf out of the NHL's book and named their divisions after some of the all-time greats?

AL East-Ruth Division
AL Central-Cobb Division
AL West-Foxx Division

NL East-Aaron Division
NL Central-Clemente Division
NL West-Robinson Division

Change the names if you feel like it.  But it's a thought worth considering.
You have the Minority league vs. the White Power league!
12/7/2011 11:14 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Theo at work!!!!!
10/3/2013 12:08 PM

Spot on...
10/7/2013 12:08 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8
R.I.P. Ron Santo Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.