Yikes -- I just now saw the write up you did three weeks ago, mizzou.  I was out of town when you posted it and I guess I haven't hopped over to the thread since before you made the post.  Really nice job.

Have to say I agree with most.  I do think you might be underrating Castleton a nudge.  The level of postseason excellence year-in, year-out probably needs to be weighted a bit more heavily.  If Thomas gets an A+ outlook, I think Castleton does too.

Husson is interesting.  I'd say A+ for this upcoming season, not sure how they will be doing long term although coming off a Final Four last season really is in their favor.

Also think you sold yourself short.  You've got Mt. Ida poised to break through.

As a general rule, I'm very bullish on the conference right now so I really like the direction that almost all of us are heading.

5/9/2011 5:29 PM
Thomas Recruits Season 49

Columbus Kummer (418)
Athleticism -- 12 (high)
Speed -- 66 (high)
Rebounding -- 1 (low)
Defense -- 29 (low)
Shot Blocking -- 1 (low)
Low-post -- 1 (low)
Perimeter -- 55 (high)
Ball Handling -- 47 (high)
Passing -- 41 (high)
Work Ethic -- 60
Stamina -- 60 (low)
Durability -- 45
FT Shooting -- B-

Dustin Wills (441)
Athleticism -- 81 (low)
Speed -- 15 (high)
Rebounding -- 23 (high)
Defense -- 81
Shot Blocking -- 10 (high)
Low-post -- 13 (high)
Perimeter -- 13 (high)
Ball Handling -- 13 (high)
Passing -- 11 (high)
Work Ethic -- 57
Stamina -- 85 (low)
Durability -- 39
FT Shooting -- B-

Not too thrilled with either recruit.  Maybe I scouted the wrong states but a good number of recruits that I would have expected to start on my D2 screen ended up being on the D1 screen.  That might be a fluke but I think it might be a result of the recruiting changes that just took effect with this season's class.  I might have to rethink my recruiting strategy in seasons going forward.  Kind of unfortunate since I think I've been on a pretty good run with the current formula.

Kummer really doesn't need analysis.  The ratings tell the story.  I can't offer anything to supplement what you see, my assistant coach decided to report on the exact opposite of what I asked of him.  Even if all of the high potential categories are of the low-high variety, I think Kummer should be a very good offensive player.  He's also going to be one of the weakest defensive players I have recruited in an awfully long while.  My defense was my weakness last season so I really am ambivalent about signing a player that is likely going to make my defense worse.

Dustin Wills is a huge wildcard.  Could be an inspired signing, a complete disaster or something in the middle.  I really have no idea.  I'm guessing that he's somebody that some/most of you would have chosen to pass on even if he was in your backyard.  I can't say that I've ever seen a player like him before.  Two important categories in the 80's and all of the others in the 10's (except for the 23 rebounding).  Massive potential and he should be a 600+ rated player if he fills his potential.  I think he should since he's got good starting work ethic and he's taking a redshirt.  I'm going to make Wills a small forward.  I'm not sure he'll be worth playing his first two (three?) seasons while those ratings in the 10's grow into the 20's and 30's but once he develops he'll have passable ratings in all the categories and I hope that equates to a good enough small forward.  Really not sure about that though.  This guy might be all but unplayable up to the point that he finally fills his potential.  Couple of the potential categories are promising according to the assistant coach.  Low Post and Passing are low-high but Ball Handling and Perimeter are high-high.  While I really had mixed feeling about signing this player, I eventually concluded that he should be a 600 overall player at bare minimum without being the creating of 99 durability and if you have those ratings you should be pretty good.  And if just one of those other categories is high-high to go along with Ball Handling and Perimeter, he's probably at least 650+.
5/9/2011 6:16 PM (edited)
Here's the Canadien Sensation.

Pete Kroll:
athleticism: limited upside
speed: limited upside
defensive fundamentals: big upside
perimeter shooting: limited upside
ball handling: limited upside
passing: limited upside
durability: big upside
ft shooting: limited upside

5/10/2011 6:37 AM
lol, since I have 20 friggin elals....

Manuel Phipps:
Ath:    24 -  Zip upside
Spd:  18 -  ave
Reb:  71 - "Huge" upside
Def:    20 -  ave
Blk:     53 - "Tremendous" upside
Lp:      63 - "Sky's th' Limit"
Pe:       1  -  Zip upside
Bh:      10 -  big upside
Pa:       20 - some upside
St:        65 -  "dramatic improvement"
Dur:     45 -  Zip upside
ft:          D-     big upside

458   "should" end around 625. Will be an uncoordinated turtle, but rebound, block shots and score fairly well for a turd-le.
Rose (RS), Richmond, (last season RS, who I have high hopes for), and Phipps "should make a good class 2 & 3 seasons from now, with 5 openings comming up this season, we, again "should" improve our prestige this season, hopefully land 3-4 decent players with that and be in good shape going forward beyond that.

My forcast for the Mustangs.
Mt Ida will finally be competetive with the "big boys", hopefully this season. We will then graduate 5, (our beginning class of really just decent guys), and then drop back from the top 2-3 programs for a couple seasons. After that point we hope to be a force year in year out. We'll C, my Majik 8-ball may just be messin with me
5/10/2011 11:47 AM (edited)
Okay here are the schlubs we brought in:

Del Adames:
rebounding: limited upside
shot blocking: limited upside
low post moves: big upside
perimeter shooting: big upside
ball handling: big upside
stamina: big upside
durability: limited upside

Robert Steward:
rebounding: limited upside
defensive fundamentals: limited upside
ft shooting: limited upside

Terrell King:
athleticism: big upside
speed: big upside
rebounding: big upside
low post moves: limited upside
passing: big upside

Chad Charles:
stamina: limited upside

David Kersh:
speed: limited upside
shot blocking: big upside
low post moves: limited upside
5/10/2011 10:23 AM
Cooper
high - spd,def
low - per

Rummel
high -ath,spd,per,bh
low-def,pa

McElyea
high -spd,per,pa,def
low-ath

Phillps
high - spd,ath,reb.lp

Theis
high - reb,def,lp
5/10/2011 10:33 AM
Joshua Cuthbert:

Donald Gibson:
athleticism: big upside
defensive fundamentals: limited upside
shot blocking: big upside
5/10/2011 4:52 PM
Pre-Season All North Atlantic Conference Teams (Season 49)

First Team
Pos Name  School Yr.  Pos.  A  SPD  REB  DE  BLK  LP  PE  BH  P  WE  ST  DU  FT  TOT
PG Michael Lee Castleton State Sr. PG 39 96 4 33 4 1 70 79 84 62 79 77 B+ 628
SG Jeffery Ahmad Mount Ida Sr. PG 65 73 2 74 4 1 61 72 74 48 77 62 B+ 613
SF Michael Miller Thomas Sr. C 51 54 90 33 66 39 32 66 51 80 73 67 B- 702
PF Wilford Turpin Thomas Sr. C 72 52 83 71 55 73 3 37 24 75 74 64 C+ 683
C Marcus Johnson Husson Sr. PF 59 29 87 75 66 76 2 2 31 50 91 47 B 615

Second Team
Pos Name  School Yr.  Pos.  A  SPD  REB  DE  BLK  LP  PE  BH  P  WE  ST  DU  FT  TOT
PG Jean Gates Elms Sr. PG 33 85 1 43 5 2 72 83 72 77 83 58 C+ 614
SG Joshua Beck Husson Sr. SG 55 57 21 60 4 12 96 65 59 95 87 85 A 696
SF Frank Queener Castleton State Sr. PF 53 36 62 50 59 78 39 40 46 52 77 55 C+ 647
PF Jeffrey Jost Thomas Jr. C 59 23 86 52 84 62 22 21 12 57 69 32 B- 579
C Sean Harbin Husson Sr. C 71 36 61 76 77 81 1 18 3 78 74 51 A- 627

Third Team
PG Antonio Copeland Mount Ida Sr. PG 33 87 2 27 5 5 78 83 73 65 83 65 B 606
SG Roger Steel Thomas Sr. PG 59 74 9 63 7 10 76 63 53 43 68 99 B 624
SF Edward Hager Thomas So. SF 74 38 25 82 11 47 36 39 54 33 68 44 D+ 551
PF Gary Hankins Lasell Sr. PF 59 40 83 34 59 80 35 4 2 39 67 59 B 561
C Danny Morrill Mount Ida Sr. C 48 42 89 51 59 77 1 4 1 44 80 87 B+ 583

5/16/2011 11:07 PM
At the turn...

North Standings

School Coach Conf.
W-L
Overall
W-L
Home
W-L
Road
W-L
Top 25
W-L
Last 10 STRK RPI SOS
  #7 Becker nz00 0-0 10-0 2-0 8-0 0-0 10-0 W10 1 13
  #2 Castleton St. rdb03161987 0-0 10-0 0-0 10-0 2-0 10-0 W10 18 95
  #1 Husson bossman2345 0-0 10-0 3-0 7-0 3-0 10-0 W10 9 45
  #24 Elms tyber90 0-0 9-1 3-0 6-1 0-0 9-1 W5 48 229
  Lasell carlbuzz 0-0 6-4 0-1 6-3 0-2 6-4 L1 36 44
  Johnson St. bieberfever 0-0 2-8 1-5 1-3 0-0 2-8 W2 292 141

South Standings

School Coach Conf.
W-L
Overall
W-L
Home
W-L
Road
W-L
Top 25
W-L
Last 10 STRK RPI SOS
  #18 Mount Ida mizzou77 0-0 9-1 3-0 6-1 0-0 9-1 W1 17 65
  Maine, Presque Isle dacj501 0-0 9-1 0-0 9-1 0-0 9-1 W9 185 382
  Salem St. Sim AI 0-0 8-2 4-1 4-1 0-0 8-2 L2 174 356
  #8 Thomas kujayhawk 0-0 7-3 2-1 5-2 2-2 7-3 L2 14 15

Maine, Farmington teamkf 0-0 6-4 1-0 5-4 0-2 6-4 L1 81 176
  Maine Maritime Academy jazzcog 0-0 5-5 2-3 3-2 0-2 5-5 L1 135 101
5/20/2011 12:31 PM

Since I'm really bored, lets make some conference predictions so we can see who makes me look like I know next to nothing.

#7 ranked Becker, (10-0)  #1 RPI in the land against what is currently the #13 SOS. This looks like dejavu Husson to me. NZ has gone from C- sim... to the best in the world just a little too fast for me to believe it's really true. Becker has played some decent teams... but if HD teaches us anything... it's that things have a way of changing after conference begins. I think Becker is a really good team.... I said really good. I see nothing to make me say great. They have possibly the most dangerous scorer in the conference,,, and one of the best in DIII Allen in Jack Stephens. But I just don't see the top to bottom 600-650 rated upperclass talent that I believe it takes to run thru the NAC and emerge top dog in the best conference in possibly DIII any world. So what does that mean... I dunno, 4, 5, maybe 6 losses to the class teams in the NAC. If he losses 6... he probably drops out of the top 15-20... probably drops from the top10 RPI's... and still has a great season for a really good team in just 3 seasons of rebuilding.

#2 Castleton State (10-0), currently #18 RPI against the #95 SOS. I could see C State winning 13-14 games this season and returning to the top of the NAC North. They are extremely good, maybe great but have only one SR. They are rated 556 overall (40 pts per man better than Becker), and have 4 guys who are very good rated in the mid 600's. I don't see much weakness here. Their only problem is they are in the NAC North and it's just going to be brutal this season with 5 really good teams.

#1 Husson (10-0), currently #6 RPI and #45 SOS. I think this is Husson's year. They sport the only 700+ rated player in Beck and he is really, really good. Husson was very good last season, and return nearly everyone. With 8 upperclassmen and an overall rating of 553 right now... I just have to believe this is probably the best team in Allen DIII. I expect them and C-State to make this a 2-horse race in the North, not because the others aren't that good... but because these 2 are just that much better.

#24 Elms (9-1), #48 RPI and 229 SOS. Elms has 8 upperclassmen so I don't expect them to be a push-over for anyone. Jean Gates is a really good player and will be hard to stop, but, I just see some close losses comming as Elms just appears to be a really good team in a really GREAT conference this season. Overall rating of 506 is just not in the same class of 4-5 other teams in the NAC this season. OR and AlBlack both told me one time years ago (when I thought I had a good team at Husson), (probably ended the season around 535 rated)... that their deep DIII NT runs were nearly allways with teams that began the season nearly at 550 and grew to 575-585.  Elms doesn't appear to hit that level this season... and thus I see some losses comming from the teams who are in that area.

Lasell (6-4), #36 RPI and #44 SOS. Rewind what I just wrote for Elms and re-play it here. I see the same future for Lasell. They're 6-4 and Elms is 9-1 becuase Lasell's SOS is 45 and Elms SOS is 229. Switch their schedules and I think we could swap the W-L's. If these 2 were in a normal conference they would both be looking at 20 win seasons and NT hopes. Here, I still think one... or more likely both, are dancing at seasons end... but with a few more losses than either would really like.

Johnson State (2-8) RPI (out there) 141 SOS. The coaches of the NAC are very happy to see a human coaching Johnson State. If Beeberfeeber stays around we will be even happier. He has a total remodel to do in the toughest conference in DIII that there is, however, if he sticks... he can use the extra cash we will allways have, and the success that comes from competing with the best, to build a good program. He will probably struggle for a couple seasons... but if you look at Husson and Becker's history, you can see that turn-arounds don't allways have to take along time. Copy as best you can what they have done and just tuck in closely behind the pace car.... this is a very fast track and just being on it with us will make your car...er i mean your team better.

Soooo my predictions for this season.

Husson          14 - 2
Castleton St   13 - 3
Becker             10 - 6
Lassell              9 - 7
Elms                  9 - 7
Johnson St       1 -15  sorry... just call em as I sees em.

5/20/2011 5:48 PM (edited)

Mt Ida,  (9-1), # 18,  RPI #17, SOS #65 .  The SOS was 214, 2 days ago... and might be sub-25 in a week, the NAC is an awesome place to make your SOS look good.  I hate to spend too much time here. This team has taken 4 seasons and nearly a year to mature. Our IQ's have finally gotten into the A range and we are finally winning some games instead of underacheiving for our level due to excessive fouls and stamina issues. I'm not sure if we're one of the most dangerous teams in Allen DIII... or just the 4th or 5th best team in the NAC. A week of conference will either make us or break us....

Presque Isle (9-1),  RPI #185, SOS #382.  The 9-1 record is pretty misleading as Dac has played a very weak schedule, however he has his team headed in the right direction and "should" win his share of games this season, when he's not matched up against a top 25 team.  He is rapidly approaching the point with his players where he can begin to expect to upset some of the better teams in the NAC. His focus is on a strong M2M defense and as that gets tougher... so will the games involving UMPI.

Salem State (8-2), RPI 174, SOS #356. This is the conference paper tiger. At least I hope it is anyway. That 8-2 record should keep us all from dreading to play them for fear of getting our RPI's killed. But the 174 RPI says they're not gonna beat too many of us (hopefully).

Thomas (7-3), #8, RPI #14, SOS #15. The highest rated team in Allen DIII is KuJay's Thomas team. They're currently sittin in 4th place in the South, but that won't last for long. They look absolutely loaded, and I expect them to battle Husson, Castleton St, and maybe..... Mt Ida for the top honors in the NAC this season.

Farmington (6-4), RPI 81, SOS 176. The RPI is headed in the right direction for KMF. The rebuild continues in Farmington and Kevin has his kids playing pretty well. I expect quite a few losses to pile up this conference season again for him, however, just like Dac, the games will begin to get closer and closer as the Kevin's youth continue to get better. If he can win the ones he should... and keep his guys improving, the futures looks pretty good for the Beava's

and last but far from least.... The current Allen DIII reigning Champion, Marine Maritime Academy.

MMA (5-5) RPI #135, SOS #101. Looks like a pretty long season ahead for Jazz at the helm of MMA. After winning it all, he had to say goodbye to alot of his talent (6), due to the fact that most of them had been playing for MMA 6-7 years, and a couple of them had violated their parol soo many times they just had to lock em back up. BUT, he brought in a new group that look pretty promising plus a couple Juco's to speed up the process, and should be back in the running for the NAC top dog honors pretty quick. With 1 SR, and 2 JR's it will be a season or two before he will be competing on the level that he was before I would think. 

South
Thomas      12  - 4
Mt Ida           11  - 5
UMPI              6  - 10
Farmington   6  - 10
MMA                4 - 12
Salem State  3 - 11
5/23/2011 3:29 PM (edited)
As much as I'd like to make an argument to the contrary, I happen to agree wholeheartedly with your Elms assessment Mizzou.  We're still just a few seasons removed from 13 and 14 loss seasons.  Several seasons of bad recruiting are still working their way out of the system as I try to turn the program around.  Final assessment by me is that we're still a few seasons away from getting back into the hunt in this brutal azz conference.
5/26/2011 10:57 AM
I started to answer your comments on the CC and realized it was going to look like a book, so I brought it here.

One of the things I have decided I really like about the NAC, (probably the best thing about the NAC), is you can't get to KuJ and RDB's level in a short time.
These are programs that took years of A+ success to build... and unless they lose interest and begin to lay down on us... it will take a long time to climb to their level. Husson and Mt Ida are two great examples this season, as was MMA last season, of the fact that you can be a super-nova and go across the sky in just 3-4 seasons. You can be atop the NAC rankings.... but #1. it takes a very good coach. #2. it takes a very good plan. and #3. it takes almost the perfect set of circumstances with the KuJ's and RDB's for you to pass em even for one season. Then after those 5-6 really good seniors graduate... it's back to the drawing board for 2 seasons or more.
That's not what I came back to the NAC for. I don't want to compete for a NT title every 4 seasons, and then go back to the bottom of the stack and just check in every few days for 4 months.
I want to compete for a conference title, and by default (a NT title), 3 out of 4 seasons.
To do this it takes a plan,,,, and not just any plan but a well thought out plan.

The Mustangs are pretty dangerous this season... are they a final-4 team?... probably not. They are built for chaos... when it happens it's a joy to behold, (as their coach) not so much for the pillaged. When it doesn't... (as will happen in the NT) we become just a good shooting team of guys recruited with a C prestige. Stringing 6 wins together in the NT will be very difficult for that type of team. We can beat anyone... and we can lose to anyone good who can hold onto the ball.

The NAC is alive and well. Are we the best DIII Conference there is? Probably not. But if we're not,,, we're getting darn close.

RDB and KuJ are top-notch coaches with awesome programs.
Tyber and Carl are tough year in year out and would dominate nearly every other conference around.
Boss, Jazz, and NZ have proven to be able to compete with the best in a short period of time and are great additions to the NAC
Floyd, Dac, and Myself are seasoned, well traveled veterans who have track records that say we can and WILL compete as well.
Beiber is new and rebuilding.
and Simai is a horrible coach who cheats in recruiting, and pays his players, and we all wish he would get fired.
5/26/2011 12:49 PM
bieber has gotta be someone's alt, right?
5/27/2011 2:40 AM
Sim AI bears a striking resemblance to Jim Tressel.
5/27/2011 6:29 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...20 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.