Radical idea for a new league Topic

I think it's a decent idea.  I would go with Mike's suggestion of being able to sign a released player, or make free agents fair game after the FA signing period is over.
2/2/2011 9:27 AM
This also takes Rule 5 off the table, which means that the 40-man roster loses a lot of it's importance.
2/2/2011 9:30 AM
Posted by shobob on 2/2/2011 9:27:00 AM (view original):
I think it's a decent idea.  I would go with Mike's suggestion of being able to sign a released player, or make free agents fair game after the FA signing period is over.
I'd probably wait until Game 1 to open the flood gates on unsigned FA.   Because that's when you can legitimately say a team has no interest in the player.
2/2/2011 9:38 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/2/2011 9:30:00 AM (view original):
This also takes Rule 5 off the table, which means that the 40-man roster loses a lot of it's importance.
I'd disagree just a bit.   6 year players will become FA.  And, as you know, some of them ask for BL money despite never getting out of AAA.    The 40 would just go from 4 seasons to 6.
2/2/2011 9:39 AM

I would be bored with this league.  You cant make player moves.  After a few seasons almost every salary (besides arb elgible players) would be under 2mil.  Every team would have lots of money for scouting and Internationals.  At world generation, the teams are relatively balanced and it would take a lot of mistakes to change that.  So you would have similar talent levels, similar budgets, similar records and not much to do. 

2/2/2011 12:23 PM
Posted by new on 2/2/2011 12:23:00 PM (view original):

I would be bored with this league.  You cant make player moves.  After a few seasons almost every salary (besides arb elgible players) would be under 2mil.  Every team would have lots of money for scouting and Internationals.  At world generation, the teams are relatively balanced and it would take a lot of mistakes to change that.  So you would have similar talent levels, similar budgets, similar records and not much to do. 

It all comes down to drafting ability, and the ability to properly develop your prospects.  I don't think it will tend to normailize to everybody being close to 81-81 records, as some owners will tend to be better at drafting and development than will others.

And even if it did lead to 32 teams with very similar talent levels, then that presents the real challenge . . . managing your 25 man roster better than the other guys in order to gain a competitive advantage.
2/2/2011 12:31 PM
And that is where "Specific" Ratings become more valuable then the Overall appearance of a player.
2/2/2011 1:25 PM
so, let's get an overall consensus here- yes or no?
2/2/2011 1:33 PM
obviously, some tweaks could be made as far as signing released players or signing players after fa ends, but the main thing here is that you can keep your players for as long as you want them.
2/2/2011 1:34 PM
I think you have trouble attracting owners for downtrodden franchises(which will happen because someone is always a 'tard making 'tard moves). 

If a team his bereft of BL talent and minor league prospects, it's going to take many seasons to "fix" it.    I don't think very many people are down with spending a year and a half of their life to get to .500.
2/2/2011 1:40 PM
Interesting idea.  Some solid points about payroll easily being kept under control, so the HBDPA would have a fit, but still... interesting.
2/2/2011 2:10 PM
I know some people are skeptical of this, but I love the idea. I have long avoided playing in more than one world (I tried it a couple times but I never really enjoyed it), but if this world came about, I would seriously consider signing up if given the opportunity and sticking with it for the long haul.
2/4/2011 5:42 PM
Posted by prezuiwf on 2/4/2011 5:42:00 PM (view original):
I know some people are skeptical of this, but I love the idea. I have long avoided playing in more than one world (I tried it a couple times but I never really enjoyed it), but if this world came about, I would seriously consider signing up if given the opportunity and sticking with it for the long haul.
I'm the same except I'll stick to the league I'm in now. Regarding a previous comment,I happen to love the challenge of a downtrodden team. True,it takes time and effort to fix it. The basic idea is great although there are bugs in it to be worked out. I wouldn't boot somebody for making a mistake,either(especially a rookie like myself). The main thing I'd change is to make players who are clearly unwanted FA. I,too,love baseball the way it was,hasn't been the same and never will be since the strike. I don't like today's players or those known to have used steroids.
I'd go for this and stay if anything ever happened to the league I'm in now.
2/5/2011 3:07 AM
Posted by empiire on 2/1/2011 11:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by usfbully on 2/1/2011 11:07:00 PM (view original):
And trades happened in "the good ole days". Ever hear of the Curse of the Bambino?
they were much, much rarer though. more often than not, the heroes stayed with teams for seemingly their whole careers. contrast that with today, where it is unheard of for players to spend their whole careers with one team.

What about Craig Biggio?  He turned down more money from Colorado to spend his enitre career in Houston.   How about Jeter or Rivera or Ripken or Chipper Jones?  (and Pujlos if they can get his contract extension signed in the next couple of weeks) There are recent examples of players spending their entire careers with one team although I admit not as often as in years past.

By season 3 you will have most if not all teams maxed out at $20mil in prospect, all 3 scouting, and training budgets with the coaching budgets running high as well.  If you don't do that, you will not be able to compete in this world.   With everyone running a similar budget it takes out much of the strategy aspects which to me would make the game less fun. 

With player developement critical, coach hiring would be much more frustrating cause everyone will be trying to outbid each other to get the best minor league coaches. 

And what about the arbitration cycles?   If you are the only one who can sign a FA you drafted, why not just arbitrate him for 3 seasons then let him leave as a FA?  Once his demands come down you sign him back on your team cheaply.     

And there would be no contract extensions signed during the last season of the current contract.  Why sign a player to a high deal when you can let him become a FA and sign him at the end of the free agent period for a lot less?    Is that how it worked back in the good ol days?

I understand you wanting to replicate the old days, but I don't think this is the way to get there.

2/5/2011 3:16 PM (edited)
Posted by dyoungquist on 2/5/2011 3:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by empiire on 2/1/2011 11:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by usfbully on 2/1/2011 11:07:00 PM (view original):
And trades happened in "the good ole days". Ever hear of the Curse of the Bambino?
they were much, much rarer though. more often than not, the heroes stayed with teams for seemingly their whole careers. contrast that with today, where it is unheard of for players to spend their whole careers with one team.

What about Craig Biggio?  He turned down more money from Colorado to spend his enitre career in Houston.   How about Jeter or Rivera or Ripken or Chipper Jones?  (and Pujlos if they can get his contract extension signed in the next couple of weeks) There are recent examples of players spending their entire careers with one team although I admit not as often as in years past.

By season 3 you will have most if not all teams maxed out at $20mil in prospect, all 3 scouting, and training budgets with the coaching budgets running high as well.  If you don't do that, you will not be able to compete in this world.   With everyone running a similar budget it takes out much of the strategy aspects which to me would make the game less fun. 

With player developement critical, coach hiring would be much more frustrating cause everyone will be trying to outbid each other to get the best minor league coaches. 

And what about the arbitration cyles?   If you are the only one who can sign a FA you drafted, why not just arbitrate him for 3 seasons then let him leave as a FA?  Once his demands come down you sign him back on your team cheaply.     

And there would be no contract extensions signed during the last season of the current contract.  Why sign a player to a high deal when you can let him become a FA and sign him at the end of the free agent period for a lot less?    Is that how it worked back in the good ol days?

I understand you wanting to replicate the old days, but I don't think this is the way to get there.

"And there would be no contract extensions signed during the last season of the current contract.  Why sign a player to a high deal when you can let him become a FA and sign him at the end of the free agent period for a lot less?    Is that how it worked back in the good ol days?"

Actually, they (players) were practically indentured servants, the owners basically paying whatever they wanted as they retained the rights to the player regardless. No Arb. No FA. No extensions. No Scott Boras. Owners & Players.

2/5/2011 3:15 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Radical idea for a new league Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.