All Forums > SimLeague Baseball > SimLeague Baseball > Understanding Fatigue
1/1/2013 6:37 PM
Just out of curiosity, in regards to hitters fatigue, why wouldn't pitches thrown be used to calculate fatigue rather than PA's? It seems that you could calculate a hitters NP by the same calculation as a pitchers PT and then base fatigue off of how many pitches a batter is calculated to see. The reason I am asking is in regards to my 1987 Eric Davis whom appears to be getting robbed of fatigue if I look at it by number of pitches he's received. Currently his numbers are as follows:

104 games into the season - 100 GP / 422 PA /  55 BB / 122 K's / 1646 NP and fatigue @ 94%

RL numbers : 562 PA / 84 BB / 134 K's I believe this equates to 2536 pitches available @ 110% using the pitching allocation method I saw in a different forum post and 2305 pitches available @ 100%.

So if Eric Davis had 2305 available pitches for 162 games that = 14.228/G*104 games = 1480 pitches @ 100%(no 10% bonus) and for my Eric Davis @ 94% (16% over), he should have 1716 NP's, 70 more than he has. Or his actual fatigue would be closer to 99% (11% over).

So if fatigue does have an effect on offensive peformance I see a couple issues that favor pitchers over hitters: 1)hitters fatigue faster than pitchers. A hitter can literally see 4 pitches and get 4 PA's. 4 pitches to the pitcher is a much smaller fatigue effect than 4 PA's to a hitter. 2)quicker hitter fatigue leads to a snowball advantage to the pitchers. As fatigue sets in quicker on hitters it gives the pitchers even more of an advantage as the hitters get proportionately worse the more their fatigue drops. It's kind of like double dipping on an already unfair advantage.

Maybe there are other things I am missing (very likely) but doesn't the PA method for batter fatigue vs the PT method for pitchers fatigue favor pitchers more than hitters?
1/2/2013 6:53 AM
When a ball (as opposed to a strike or hit ball) is thrown, a pitcher actually winds up and hurls a sphere at 90 plus MPH. A batter stands there and doesn't do anything. 
1/2/2013 3:41 PM
Posted by italyprof on 1/2/2013 6:53:00 AM (view original):
When a ball (as opposed to a strike or hit ball) is thrown, a pitcher actually winds up and hurls a sphere at 90 plus MPH. A batter stands there and doesn't do anything. 
I did consider that but after giving it some thought I respectfully disagree with you. Even though a hitter isn't swinging on each pitch he is going through every other motion it takes for a major league hitter to make contact with a 90 mph ball. If you watch every batter, they each have a routine they go through prior to each pitch that includes swinging the bat several times (for most hitters, something pitchers don't do), taking a batting stance (typically not a relaxed stance) and then wind up (build energy) for the pitch much like a pitcher does. During the pitchers wind-up and pitch, the hitter is essentially doing the same thing only the hitter has .09 seconds to determine what pitch it is, where it is going, and whether or not to continue his swing or to stop it. And IMO, stopping your swing after you've already wound up for it takes more energy than it did to wind up to begin with and more energy than it takes to finish the swing (that energy has already been spent and just needs to be released). So, IMO, it seems that each pitch a hitter sees should have some effect on each his fatigue. The fact that it doesn't tells me that fatigue favors pitchers over hitters in the SIM but , like I said, I could be missing something that does encompass pitch count but also has a normaliztion value which is why my Eric Davis calculations are off.

That also brought up another question about hitters fatigue. How does the SIM compensate fatigue for defensive replacements or pinch runners who don't accumulate PA's? Does that mean I could draft a 50 G/ 50 PA guy to only pinch run for me, use him in 162 games as a pinch runner, and he will never get tired because he never used a single PA?
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
of 3
All Forums > SimLeague Baseball > SimLeague Baseball > Understanding Fatigue

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.