USA South tracking thread Topic

Wolf’s preseason thoughts:
Season 35 should be a great year for the USA South as it cements it’s claim as the top conference in division 3. Several teams in the USA South started the season strong with great recruiting classes. The media thinks that the USA South brought in more talent than any other conference in D3. Four teams start the year ranked in the top 25, but many others are hoping to be there at the end of the season.
My predictions:
East division:
1.       Methodist University will try to claim their 5th straight division title this season. Jaycee has won the division title every year he has been in Fayetteville. Under his reign, the Monarchs have also played in 1 NT and 2 PTs. Last season they advanced to the second round of the NT.
2.       Chowan University expects to have great season this season. They hired a very successful coach with over 300 wins on his resume. Yanks250125 inherits a team with plenty of experienced players who are hungry to achieve some success before their college careers end. The Braves won 16 games last season and I expect them to win at least 20 this season.
3.       Greensboro College hopes to have their first winning season in year 3 of Wolf44’s tenure as head coach. The Pride have several senior guards on the roster, but they are expected to give many minutes to their talented young players.
4.       Ferrum College returns an experienced team with plenty of talent. In his first season, Tcole guided his Panthers to a 14-14 record last season.
5.       Averett University struggled last season posting a 6-21 record. Cougar fans hopeBuckeye101 can double his win total this season.
6.       Christopher Newport won 10 games in Wendyw’s first season. Captain fans hope wendyw can improve a program that is not very talented atm.
I will do the west later.
3/13/2011 9:04 AM
We aren't going to lose 10 conference games Yanks. My team isn't good yet, but we are better than you think.
3/13/2011 9:09 AM
RANKINGS AFTER SUBTRACTING DURABILITY & WORK ETHIC.
In my opinion, Durability plays pretty much 0 role in how good a player is. Injuries don't come up very frequently. And Work Ethic is important, but in terms of how good a player is at any particular moment in time, it has no effect. So, here are the overall team rankings after subtracting WE and DU:
Palm Beach - 441
La Grange - 433
NC Wesleyan - 430
Methodist - 423
Piedmont - 414
Chowan - 400
Greensboro - 387
Shenandoah - 374
Ferrum - 370
Oglethorpe 363
Averett - 329
Christopher Newport - 327

3/13/2011 1:43 PM
I'm really digging this conference...glad I joined as the banter is entertaining.
3/13/2011 1:57 PM
AVERAGE RATING OF TOP 8 PLAYERS ON TEAM
In looking at the top 8 players in overall rating for each team, here are the average ratings for the top 8 players on each team:
LaGrange - 596
Palm Beach - 579
Methodist - 574
NC Wesleyan - 570
Chowan - 539
Piedmont - 535
Averett - 527
Greensboro - 526
Ferrum 526
Shenandoah - 495
Oglethorpe - 491
Christopher Newport - 464

4/17/2011 12:01 AM (edited)
West Division:
1.       Palm Beach Atlantic University won 26 games last season and I think they will post similar results this season. The Sailfish have 4 great seniors and a dynamic junior PG. I think this squad will be in the final 4.
2.       North Carolina Wesleyan has 6 seniors on this year’s team. The Battling Bishops will have plenty of power in the post and they have quick point guards. I believe Trudell and Randall will determine how good this team will be. They will certainly challenge for the title and should make a deep run in the NT.
3.       LaGrange College will be the most improved team in the conference. PJBrankin has assembled an excellent roster. The Panthers will challenge for the title this season, but I don’t think they are as good as the top 2 teams.
4.       Piedmont will be rebuilding this season. They have one of the best recruiting classes in the nation and will be a force next season.
5.       Oglethorpe struggled in Whit6r first season in Atlanta. The Stormy Petrels will have a young team this season, but the freshmen appear to have bright futures. Sophomore PG Joseph Kelly will try to guide the young Petrels to a successful season.
6.       Shenandoah has a new coach this season. Welcome to the conference eangevine! This will probably not be a very good season for the Hornets, but the team is ready to start to build a winning tradition at the school.
3/13/2011 7:19 PM
Haha bulletin board material! Dont let Ang find out you picked us third.
3/13/2011 9:16 PM
chowan coach is upset that the media has only credited him with 300+ wins when in fact he has 1400+
3/16/2011 6:07 PM
lol, I am only counting the ones in this world.
3/17/2011 2:48 AM
Palm Beach Atlantic may have to venture outside of Florida for a player or two this year. The quality of recruits in state this year is down substantially.
4/10/2011 7:58 AM
PBAU? Do you have Georgia on your mind?
4/10/2011 3:53 PM
LOL - I actually am looking within 1,000 miles, but the closer the better. I have Future Stars for Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. This is the only drawback to my location. It is a great place to be when the recruits are stellar, but if I have to go outside of Florida, it can get expensive.
4/10/2011 10:58 PM

Year 36 should be another excellent year for the USA South conference.  With 3 teams ranked in the top 25 and another 2 receiving votes, the conference will be one of the best in Div 3.

The East Division:

1.       Methodist: Jaycee55’s team boosts a #7 preseason ranking this season.  Jaycee had his worst season as the coach for the Monarchs last season. Their 14-14 record was below the standard he has set in Fayetteville. This year’s team is ready to return to the top of the East Division. Sophomore Colby Rempe is ready to lead a team featuring  seniors at every other position in the starting lineup. 

2.       Greensboro: Wolf44’s Pride clinched their first divison title since season 8 last season. He has a very talented team returning to Greensboro this season led by senior swing man Robert Teets. Replacing all-time leading scorer Leo Shafer will be a challenge for Coach Wolf, but look for the Pride to challenge for the East Division title and return to the National Tourny.

3.       Averett: The Cougars will continue to improve in Buckeye101’s third season in Danville. Coach Buckeye will have to replace 1100 point scorer John Jenson, but he will have a talented senior PG, Jefferson Fisk, to guide an experienced team that will try to end a 9 year postseason drought. There is much anticipation to see a very talented group of freshmen in Danville. The future appears to be bright for the Averett Cougars.

4.       Chowan:  The Hawks return 7 seniors this season, but I think this team will struggle because of the shocking news of their great coach leaving after only 1 season in Murfreesboro. This year’s team is good enough to pull off an upset or 2 against the stronger teams in the conference, but I believe they will struggle.

5.       Ferrum: Coach TCole23 will have a very young team this season at Ferrum. The young, talented Panthers will probably not win many games this season, but they will get plenty of experience on the court and guide a promising future for Ferrum’s basketball program.

6.       Christopher Newport: WendyW’s departure after only 2 seasons in Newport News will doom this year’s team. Juniors Aubrey Peterson and Ronnie Beach will lead the Captains this season. With a talented a group of sophomores, this team could be competitive in the future if they hire a good coach.

4/15/2011 7:55 PM

The West division

1.       La Grange: Coach PJ Brankin has proved himself worthy of coaching in this elite division. The fourth edition of his Panthers will be his best team to this point of his career in La Grange. Expectations are high with dynamic guard Eugene Lake and dominant center Charles Ang leading a talented team that is ranked #5 in the preseason polls.

2.       Piedmont: After his worst season as the coach of the Lions, HOF coach Claytes is expexted to return to the top of the division.  The 5 time national championship coach returns a team featuring a powerful pair of forwards and a sharpshooting SG. Look for the Lions to challenge for the conference and national title.

3.       Palm Beach Atlantic: Chapelhillne has proven himself to be one of the best D3 coaches in the country. He has won 20 or more games in 6 of the last 7 season. Last year his team shared the division crown and advanced to his 2nd elite 8. This year’s  team is capable of achieving the same goals as last year’s team. Johnny Wilson, Joseph Garvin, and Tony Ball will be missed, but this year’s Sailfish will be very talented as well. Charles Caldwell, the team’s incredible PG, will try to lead the Conference Champions to another stellar season.

4.       NCW: It appears that legendary Coach Rockafe11a will have quite a challenge guiding his Battling Bishops to a successful season. His streak of 11 straight NT appearances could be in jeopardy. This year’s team will be young, but they will be led by 2 excellent senior guards. Martin Randall is one of the best shooters in college basketball this season and the speedy Stephen completes a formidable backcourt that will try to lead the Bishops to another NT berth.

5.       Shenandoah: Coach Eangevine had a surprisingly good season in his first year in Winchester. The Hornets won half their games with a very tough schedule. This year’s Hornets will not have any seniors, but they do boast an excellent recruiting class. While this year’s team will probably not achieve the same success as last year’s squad, Hornet fans are anticipating a rise to the top of the division in the near future.

6.       Oglethorpe: Coach Whit6r has done a fine job gathering talent players to come to his Atlanta campus. Stormy Petrel fans need to show patience while he builds a talented team capable of competing with the powerful schools in the USA South. This year’s team will be inexperienced, but they have the potential to build a winning tradition for whit6r’s program. Look for Robert Krauss and Terry Weigand to lead the Stormy Petrels this season. 

4/15/2011 9:57 PM
I don't think I've proven myself worthy of anything. I have yet to beat either of the two elite teams in my division in 3 seasons now
4/16/2011 12:58 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
USA South tracking thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.