Does that mean that Hartford should get our Whalers back?
3/18/2011 9:20 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by tecwrg on 3/18/2011 9:20:00 AM (view original):
Does that mean that Hartford should get our Whalers back?
No, but Winnipeg should get the Coyotes/Jets back.

And Quebec City should get some other POS southern state team... say Atlanta?  They already moved from there to Canada once (Calgary), why not go for two? And while we're at it, Toronto should get a second team.  If NYC can support three teams, and LA can support two... don't you think Toronto could handle a second one??
3/18/2011 9:49 AM
I think it has more to do with allegiances in TO though.  I'm sure they could fill the arena for a second team, but with all the die hard leaf fans, I'm not sure how well merch sales would do. They have one of the most (blindly) loyal fan bases in the NHL. It would be hard to develop a loyal fan base.  Throw Ottawa into the mix, and it'd be near impossible.  Southern Ontario is full of Leafs/Sens fans...I don't see them jumping ship for a new team.
3/18/2011 9:55 AM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/18/2011 9:36:00 AM (view original):

I don't follow the NHL but, if they moved out of Hartford, there had to be a reason.   I'm guessing ticket sales weren't where they needed to be or the facility was horrible.   I also don't know how they've done since they moved.   My initial thought is "Hartford?   WTF is in Hartford and who would want to play there?"

Well, the Hartford Civic Center (now the XL Center) was built in the mid 70's, and this happened in 1978:

But it's all better now and is still in use for minor league hockey, some UConn college basketball games (men and women) and a number of other events.

Peter Karmanos did set some conditions on season ticket sales that needed to be met in order for the Whalers to stay in Hartford, but those conditions and promises were made in bad faith on his part.  When it looked like the sales targets were on their way to being met, he and Bettman basically said "well, we're still going to move the team anyways".  They ended up carpetbagging the team to Carolina, where in the first couple of years after they moved, attendance was worse than the lowest attendance they ever had in Hartford.

Left a really bad feeling in these parts which are still felt 14 years after they left in '97.
3/18/2011 10:37 AM (edited)
Posted by Braziman on 3/15/2011 3:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Stewart_UK on 3/15/2011 9:58:00 AM (view original):
The time leagues are filling in these days is proof enough that the product is strong. Personally im enjoying the game at the momemt more than I have done for the last twelve months.
Did you get invited to the Royal Wedding?
Invite must be in the post, the Royal Mail isnt what it was!
3/18/2011 10:43 AM
The hockey capital of the world (the GTA) can easily handle a 2nd team.  Its MLSE that wont allow it to happen.  There is more then enough hockey fans in the area to support another team.  I guarantee it would be sold out every night.  That is if the prices are reasonable.  Problem with the ACC is its way too expensive to watch a game there, and the amount of available tickets are a joke too.  Why else do you guys think there are so many Canadian fans showing up at Sabre games when any of the Canadian teams play there?

Another reason why Bettman is a total ***** with no brains, he wont push for a 2nd team in THE BIGGEST hockey market in the world.
3/18/2011 11:05 AM
I'm a Leafs fan (I know, boo hoo), and I would jump ship to support Hamilton or a 2nd Toronto team.  The Leafs, Sabres and Red Wings wouldn't want a 2nd team in their area.  I'm sure a second team in S. Ontario would make scads of money, but it would come at a cost to the those three teams.  The wings and leafs would probably still be fine, but the Sabres can't afford to take any sort of hit.
3/18/2011 11:27 AM
Most Sens fans I know are Toronto-haters (not necessarily hockey-related) from Eastern Ontario, or people who gave up on the Leafs.

A second Toronto team would immediately become the favourite or second favourite team for every "Not Leaf" fan out there.

While the Leafs might be the favourite team in Canada, whoever's playing the Leafs is second.
3/18/2011 11:52 AM
I'm a Sens fan - have been since their inception -  from Southwestern Ontario (Kitchener), and I wouldn't jump ship to a new team in the area.
3/18/2011 1:38 PM
I think the title of the thread is now appropriate.  Hockey talk in the HBD forum has to signal the death of HBD. 
3/18/2011 2:06 PM
Actually, I think this thread was ironically bringing about the death HBD before hockey even came up
3/18/2011 2:29 PM
Hey jtpsops - I'm from Guelph.  Hello fellow Grand River watershed dweller!
3/19/2011 12:49 AM
Just goes to show that WIS needs a Hockey Dynasty game. I'm in.          
3/19/2011 8:40 AM
9/9/2011 9:47 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.