Can you win with 0 distro? Topic

question: what do you guys usually set your distro setting numbers too then. i'm a newb here and two games into my non conference schedule just using all 0's because really i wasn't sure how high of number and what not to apply to the main players and what not

hopefully you understand what i'm trying to figure out
thanks
4/15/2011 7:23 PM
The size of the numbers is not important.  What matters is the ratio of the numbers to others.  For example, if you set your PG/SG/SF/PF/C to 5/20/15/10/25 that is the same as 1/4/3/2/5.  If you are looking to create a separation between scorers and non-scorers, set the scorers to multiples of 5 and keep the non-scorers below 5.

If you are feeling a totally lost, you can start by setting everyone to the number of shots you would like to see them take.  It won't work out exactly for a number of reasons (stamina, who they share the court with, etc.) but it is not a bad starting point.
4/15/2011 8:06 PM
thanks, this should definitely help me out
4/15/2011 8:09 PM
And look at matchups too. If your best shooter is matched up against someone with higher ath/speed and a high defense rating, you might want to lower his distro a bit. You'll get the hang of it, but it does take quite a few seasons. If you have just one dominant scorer, don't worry as much about his matchup, but if you have 3 guys (for example) that are pretty even, give the highest distro to the one with the best matchup. Just don't overthink it. Also, don't really worry about matchups when you're going against a zone. Give the highest distro to your best players. I would lean slightly more towards the guards against a 2-3 and the bigs in a 3-2. That being said, just remember that people can play a 2-3 +2 or 3-2 -4 to try and mess with you, but personally I don't think that works too well. 
4/15/2011 11:00 PM
Has anyone tried using 0 dist for all of their players during a season? I noticed in my exhibition games that the best players did most of the shooting anyway.
1/12/2013 7:37 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 1/12/2013 7:37:00 PM (view original):
Has anyone tried using 0 dist for all of their players during a season? I noticed in my exhibition games that the best players did most of the shooting anyway.
i almost always use all zeros.alease 30 seasons of all zeros so i have a large sample size. and your better players do shoot more often. ussualy the distro comes out somewhere between 15-12 for your top couple guys. then your other players are in the 6-8 range. i have a bunch of the actual numbers i came up with if anyone actualy cares to know
1/12/2013 8:33 PM
I won my only championship in DII using 0 dist for all of my players. I was a while back but if I remember correctly I had a team that I thought was not playing as well as they should be heading into the CT so I decided to try all 0 and we went on a roll. I will say this about that team, we were very very balanced and I think 2 guys were all-americans at the end of the season and all 5 starters could score so I figured 0 dist would make logical sense. I think if you have a team that is very balanced at every position then 0 dist can be effective
1/12/2013 8:33 PM
Posted by billscnb on 4/15/2011 6:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dacj501 on 4/15/2011 6:31:00 PM (view original):
If you are going to go all 0s why bother playing the game? Do people just really love recruiting or something?

Also, at 0 distro the machine will ignore your 3 point settings and use its own. You are giving total offense control to the engine...
+1 to the first line
Yes.
1/13/2013 2:38 AM
I had (on my LL316 name) an extremely balanced Arkansas team, so I went with all zeros.  It's my only NT to date.  

As for the talk of 0 ignoring 3 pt settings...that's false.  I do run 0's for this (FB offense) squad for a few games to start every season and it decidedly does not effect 3 pt settings.
1/13/2013 8:58 AM
Posted by oldresorter on 4/15/2011 7:32:00 AM (view original):
the answer seems pretty clear to me - it is yes you can win with 0 distro - the better ? is "Is zero distro ever the best option for gameplanning?" 

My opinion is no, zero distro is never the best option, but with some teams, the amount it harms your teams is small, with other teams, playing zero distro has very negative consequences.  But, even very negative, is only something like 2 to 5 points lost, so it may not be immediately obvious that it is harmful.  By the way, the same sorts of loss occur when you play an offense you don't know, you will find it does not cause your 65 ppg team to score only 30 ppg, more like 60 ppg.
100% agreed. I'm not familiar with this guy, but he seems to have some idea of what he's talking about ...

(Hey OR, how about that Badger game yesterday?!)

1/13/2013 11:14 AM
If you are going to go all 0s why bother playing the game? Do people just really love recruiting or something?

Also, at 0 distro the machine will ignore your 3 point settings and use its own. You are giving total offense control to the engine...
First line: Couldn't agree more.

Second line: Actually an old fallacy from the FAQ. They will still honor your 3pt settings. But they don't look at iq. or who the player is matched up against.

1/13/2013 11:16 AM
Posted by girt25 on 1/13/2013 11:16:00 AM (view original):

First line: Couldn't agree more.

Second line: Actually an old fallacy from the FAQ. They will still honor your 3pt settings. But they don't look at iq. or who the player is matched up against.

That's why I don't like to run all zeroes, from what Daalt posted in the second line.  Yes, the engine may give your best players more shots, but it doesn't take into account if that player is being guarded by a stud defender.  In that particular scenario, although that guy is your best option offensively, you may want to lower his distro accordingly and raise someone else's to take advantage of a good matchup.  With zeroes, that's not possible, of course.

I used the all zeroes strategy before and had decent results, but I ultimately didn't like the fact that the one tool we have at our disposal that can have the most effect on the outcome of a game, distribution, was one that I had forfeited the right to have any input into by going to all zeroes and letting the engine decide.  It may seem more than a little arrogant to think that I, or any human, can set up there team's distro more efficiently than the computer can, but judging from the results that I personally got, I think I'll take my chances. 
1/13/2013 10:56 PM
ive won with 0 distro. I use it a lot to see how players respond to the AI's suggestions. Usually in conference play I define the distro. It also screws up some opposing defenses who set their +/- according to the 0 distro and then it changes on them.

1/14/2013 1:24 PM
Posted by sfezzik on 4/15/2011 7:15:00 PM (view original):

I don't see much difference yet after 2 games. My best players have the most Off % and my guys I like to shoot 3's (+2) are shooting a lot.
Your best players will get the most shots if you play all zeros ... they just will not take into account the other team.

If the other team has a shutdown defender at SG, and if you want to shift some distro away from your SG because of that, you won't be able to, etc.

Everyone at zero is not the same as everyone at 1 .. with everyone at zero, you are telling the SIM to decide who gets what distribution, who shoots 3's etc. With everyone at another number other than 0 (ie, 1) you are telling the computer to give everyone the same distribution.

I personally think that taking into account the defense is important, so I never play all 0's ... but to each his own.
1/14/2013 5:29 PM
I made it to the elite 8 once with 0 distro all year, was also a bit of luck as I was the 7 seed and the 15 beat the 2 in round 1 so my sweet 16 route was pretty easy.

I'll often start a season doing 0 distro for a few games if I have a bunch to try to figure out with a team just to see how they play and what the sim thinks, then I'll adjust.
1/14/2013 5:31 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Can you win with 0 distro? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.