Stop Post-Demotion Traumatic Stress Syndrome Topic

So, gaming the system within the parameters of MikeT, god of HBD, is fine. Other types are bad.
6/26/2011 10:58 AM
6/26/2011 4:12 PM
I was researching and came upon this thread. Very interesting debate. However no one pointed out the fact that utilizing your 40 man roster as your 25 would whack your payroll structure. All those 15 extra players would all be making the MLB minimum and their clocks would start ticking. Personally I think the demotion penalty should be eliminated.
5/31/2012 8:52 PM
It's about 4m assuming NONE of those 15 were making more than 54,500 and you moved them up on Day 1 of the season.   Otherwise, it's a pro-rated amount that decreases with each HBD day.     You wouldn't need all 15 even if you completely ignored Dur/Stm.    My guess, if you really wanted to do it, is that you could turn your 25 man into a 40 man with about 2m.    Well worth it. 

And dumbs down the game.
6/1/2012 8:10 AM

Well, I guess you are right, it wouldn't cost that much, however, it would still start those player's clocks ticking wouldn't it?   Over the long term, I think it could have a much larger impact on your salary structure....

Also, would it really dumb down the game?  Let's be realistic, most teams would only have 2 or 3 players at most they want to move between AAA and ML, and those players would not exactly be all stars types.  Some teams may have as many as 5 perhaps...   In fact, it would reward teams that actually build their teams the right way, and have a strong minor league system...rather than those owners who ignore their minors and just buy a great ML team, damn the future.  Wouldn't that be the opposite of dumbing down the game? 

6/1/2012 9:15 AM
This is the sort of player I'm talking about: Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Juan Ferrer

I'd love to have him on my BL team for about 55-60 games a season.   My guess is he's good for about 250-270 PA at 100%.    It's obvious, from his 300 BL AB, that he's an asset.   However, that 39 DUR is a killer for a player who can only handle the DH position(unless I'm right about RF).   It's hard to carry him all season with my roster set-up.   Without a demotion penalty, I'd have had him on my BL roster for 60 games in each of the last three seasons.    As it stands, he's been a roster expansion call-up and has been on my playoff roster.   
6/1/2012 9:16 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/1/2012 9:16:00 AM (view original):
This is the sort of player I'm talking about: Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Juan Ferrer

I'd love to have him on my BL team for about 55-60 games a season.   My guess is he's good for about 250-270 PA at 100%.    It's obvious, from his 300 BL AB, that he's an asset.   However, that 39 DUR is a killer for a player who can only handle the DH position(unless I'm right about RF).   It's hard to carry him all season with my roster set-up.   Without a demotion penalty, I'd have had him on my BL roster for 60 games in each of the last three seasons.    As it stands, he's been a roster expansion call-up and has been on my playoff roster.   
I'll take him back if he's causing you logistical roster problems.
6/1/2012 9:18 AM
I guess we were posting at the same time.

Yes, I think it would dumb down the game.   Using Ferrer as my example, I've had to figure out the best way to use AND avoid demotion penalties for him and/or other players.   Without the demotion penalty, he's called up when he's 100% and sent down when he's not.   So that means another player is on the same rollercoaster.   Multiply that by x-amount because there are plenty of players with low DUR and even more pitchers with low DUR/STM combo.   Pitching would really be the back/forth.   Rotate the low DUR/STM pitchers between BL and AAA.   I usually have 2-4 AAA pitchers who are comparable to the back of my staff.    I'd rotate them like crazy without a demotion penalty.   Especially LH/RH depending on my opponent's strength.
6/1/2012 9:21 AM
Okay, I guess I don't see why doing that is "dumbing down the game".      You would be making moves to best utilize the talent you have in your system.   So would everyone else.  Owners that seek out, draft, and figure out a way to utilize those types of players would be rewarded for their efforts and the efforts they put in to actively managing their systems, and building a strong minor league system. 

Maybe I dont' understand your defiinition of "dumbing down the game".
6/1/2012 9:42 AM
Short version:  Right now, owners are required to make decisions based on 25 man rosters.   They have to include talent, budget constraints, demotion penalties and fatigue.     Remove the demotion penalty and the only decisions are talent and budget constraints as anyone on the 40 can now be called up based on those two factors.     Two less factors in the decision-making process.    That's dumbing down in my book. 
6/1/2012 10:07 AM

Thanks for the explanation.  I guess I just disagree.   I think utilizing the 40 man roster as a way of managing fatigue makes the game more complicated, not less, and thus rewards more involved and better strategic thinking owners, making the game smarter, not dumber. 

6/1/2012 10:14 AM
Making decisions based on a bigger roster doesn't make things more complicated to me.   Why not just have 40 man BL rosters?  40 max/20 min.
6/1/2012 10:21 AM
Any time you have to make do with less resources, it's inherently more complicated.
6/1/2012 10:24 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
It what you name your team when youre 40+
6/1/2012 11:07 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Stop Post-Demotion Traumatic Stress Syndrome Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.