Who is this clown? Topic

Posted by trobone on 6/8/2011 4:15:00 AM (view original):
if the kids want to get paid they have that chance. go to europe or canada and sign on with a team. If Pryor wanted money, he could have had it. But he wanted his cake and to eat it too, and he can't have that. If he wanted to stay in the USA and go to OSU, then he knew the rules. If he wanted the money, he had the chances.

they get paid stipends, books, education, travel, clothing, food, etc... in all athletes get paid tens of thousands of dollars a year without any marketable skills except being good at a high school sports. In essence they are raking it in when more deserving 18 year old are doing much more and getting absolutely nothing.

jamal charles signed his contract, if he doesn't like it, that's his problem. he should have signed a shorter one then.
Without any marketable skills except being good at high school sports?  That marketable skill is what schools, conferences, the BCS, bowls, ESPN/ABC and the NCAA use to sell their product and make huge profits.  

6/8/2011 10:53 AM
Posted by trobone on 6/8/2011 4:15:00 AM (view original):
if the kids want to get paid they have that chance. go to europe or canada and sign on with a team. If Pryor wanted money, he could have had it. But he wanted his cake and to eat it too, and he can't have that. If he wanted to stay in the USA and go to OSU, then he knew the rules. If he wanted the money, he had the chances.

they get paid stipends, books, education, travel, clothing, food, etc... in all athletes get paid tens of thousands of dollars a year without any marketable skills except being good at a high school sports. In essence they are raking it in when more deserving 18 year old are doing much more and getting absolutely nothing.

jamal charles signed his contract, if he doesn't like it, that's his problem. he should have signed a shorter one then.
?I think the "go to europe or canada" argument is my favorite thus far in the thread. NFL Europe is closed, where do they go in Europe? I think they have a couple crappy regional teams still left. I bet the players get a stipend of about 20 euros plus gas and food money per game. Canadian football? Playing football anywhere besides in the NFL or NCAA is basically a career killer. Would you tell someone who wants to go into finance that they should skip the Harvard MBA and become a secretary at JP Morgan instead? No, of course not.
6/8/2011 11:42 AM
A good friend who has ties with the higher education crowd in Virginia tells me that 19-20 get a free ride for their masters every couple of years and they take home about 20 k above and beyond housing,books ext....He also tells me that at no time are they asked to perform any other work for the school. Booing is also discouraged in class.

No reports on rules regarding selling their master debater trophies.
6/8/2011 12:28 PM (edited)
how many of these athletes also excell at baseball, basketball, etc...  high profile prospects more times than not excell at another sport because they are gifted athletes,  if they wanna make money at 18 take up a sport that pays at a young age.   Baseball, wakeboarding, soccer,  etc...  if you dont like the rules DONT GO TO COLLEGE,  last time i checked they arent forced to play football.  Get a job if money at 19 is that important.  playing college athletics is privlage not a right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6/8/2011 2:45 PM
Posted by rmancil on 6/8/2011 10:54:00 AM (view original):
Name one other top entertainment industry that pays its stars room and board. Not condoning breaking the rules I am saying the rules are out dated and one sided these div 1 a elite athletes are as close to be professionals as you will find and earn the schools muti millions.
have u heard of the olympics? 
6/8/2011 2:48 PM
Posted by all2matt on 6/8/2011 2:48:00 PM (view original):
Name one other top entertainment industry that pays its stars room and board. Not condoning breaking the rules I am saying the rules are out dated and one sided these div 1 a elite athletes are as close to be professionals as you will find and earn the schools muti millions.
Last I looked the NBA ,N.H.L. pays its players pretty darn well. Most of the other sports also. Fact is no other(PRO FOOTBALL,BASEBALL EXCLUDED) sport generates the revenue that major div 1a does. The reason that you nor the other 1000 want ta be players can play is your not good enough to sit the bench much less start at any of these elite programs. All of these players are the best of the best high school athletes. The N.C.A.A. should set up a program to pay them for their services. They should also have some form of health care set up for long term needs.

The old days of jobs being handed out for summer employment or a few years of high pay for basically nothing from school alumni is a clear violation as well but went on for years.

These players are top notch talents who make millions for their schools they deserve better than a free ham sandwich for 4 years of their lives and memories doesn't pay the rent..
6/8/2011 3:33 PM (edited)
Funny it is ok for the coaches to make millions but nothing for the players.
6/8/2011 3:36 PM
Posted by all2matt on 6/8/2011 2:45:00 PM (view original):
how many of these athletes also excell at baseball, basketball, etc...  high profile prospects more times than not excell at another sport because they are gifted athletes,  if they wanna make money at 18 take up a sport that pays at a young age.   Baseball, wakeboarding, soccer,  etc...  if you dont like the rules DONT GO TO COLLEGE,  last time i checked they arent forced to play football.  Get a job if money at 19 is that important.  playing college athletics is privlage not a right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How bout free admission to the games? Hey the players are working for free. Ok the lights and the officiating crew get paid so lets chip in a few bucks how bout .25 to 1.25 depending on the seat that more than pays for the rent and the crews say a avg of 70 K fans at .75cent= 52,500.00 or double it to 1.50 plus concessions and where are we 100k to 200k depending on the price of beer ( 5.00-9.00 each) of course the avg ticket price is much higher along with advertising revenues stadium naming rights and the like. The coaching shows pay is off the charts.

The schools are making money hand over fist off the backs of these young men.Let one of them tear up his leg and not recover to help good old homer u and see what he gets. The majority of these kids will never graduate with any real degree in any thing most don't have the skill set to excel in the class room and on the field. The few who do have to work big time to handle the work load. 
6/8/2011 3:50 PM
Posted by rmancil on 6/8/2011 3:33:00 PM (view original):
Last I looked the NBA ,N.H.L. pays its players pretty darn well. Most of the other sports also. Fact is no other(PRO FOOTBALL,BASEBALL EXCLUDED) sport generates the revenue that major div 1a does. The reason that you nor the other 1000 want ta be players can play is your not good enough to sit the bench much less start at any of these elite programs. All of these players are the best of the best high school athletes. The N.C.A.A. should set up a program to pay them for their services. They should also have some form of health care set up for long term needs.

The old days of jobs being handed out for summer employment or a few years of high pay for basically nothing from school alumni is a clear violation as well but went on for years.

These players are top notch talents who make millions for their schools they deserve better than a free ham sandwich for 4 years of their lives and memories doesn't pay the rent..

A free ham sandwich?  Really?

How about an education at some of the finest universities in the world?  How about getting your room and board paid for you?  How about getting the opportunity to train alongside similar-caliber athletes with top-notch coaches?  Those are all pretty incredible opportunities, aren't they?

I don't understand it.  People claim that these guys need lots of spending money.  There are kids who go to college in worse circumstances (similar financial situation but without a full ride scholarship) and they are able to enjoy all four years.  Why can't athletes be held to the same standard? 

6/8/2011 3:50 PM
Posted by onside on 6/8/2011 3:50:00 PM (view original):

How about an education at some of the finest universities in the world?  How about getting your room and board paid for you?  How about getting the opportunity to train alongside similar-caliber athletes with top-notch coaches?  Those are all pretty incredible opportunities, aren't they?

I don't understand it.  People claim that these guys need lots of spending money.  There are kids who go to college in worse circumstances (similar financial situation but without a full ride scholarship) and they are able to enjoy all four years.  Why can't athletes be held to the same standard? 

I can just here the director of the latest big hit movie telling the actors hey you get to work with the best directors and camera crews in the world and go to some great locations what more should you expect? How many folks would love to act for free! Hey we paid your room bill!

Nascar owner to his driver "Hey you get to work with the best cars in the world, some of the best mechanics and engineers plus we pay your food and room bill!"

Rock music promoter to Rock star and band " hey you get to work with some of the best musicians in the world and travel all over the world plus we pay your room and food bill how many folks would love to have your job!"
6/8/2011 4:00 PM (edited)
Posted by rmancil on 6/8/2011 4:00:00 PM (view original):

I can just here the director of the latest big hit movie telling the actors hey you get to work with the best directors and camera crews in the world and go to some great locations what more should you expect? How many folks would love to act for free! Hey we paid your room bill!

Nascar owner to his driver "Hey you get to work with the best cars in the world, some of the best mechanics and engineers plus we pay your food and room bill!"

Rock music promoter to Rock star and band " hey you get to work with some of the best musicians in the world and travel all over the world plus we pay your room and food bill how many folks would love to have your job!"
Why do you keep pulling these completely irrelevent comparisions out?  A professional (key word here) actor is way different than a student-athlete.  If you think that's the case, why don't high schools pay their top athletes, or are you saying they should do that too?  Where do you draw the line?  That's the issue here. 

College's main purpose is for EDUCATION.  Sure, people go there to excel at athletics more than the educational value.  But, if you ask any person on the street what the purpose of college is, it is education, not athletics.  I can understand the argument of starting a minor-league system similar to baseball or allowing high schoolers to go straight to the pros.  That makes sense. But paying athletes at the collegiate level is not the answer.  Do the smart whiz kids that help give the university their high status and academic reputation get paid for attending the university?  Nope.  Neither should the athletes.
6/8/2011 4:01 PM
Why can't these super stars be held in the same light as the average non revenue generating student who is their just paying his bill I would have to think it would be the same reason that people are paying to see them perform they are not the average run of the mill player.

What is the pay for a coach at div 3? What is the cost of a ticket? Where is the T.V. contract?

Oh that's right their isn't one.
6/8/2011 4:04 PM
Posted by rmancil on 6/8/2011 4:04:00 PM (view original):
Why can't these super stars be held in the same light as the average non revenue generating student who is their just paying his bill I would have to think it would be the same reason that people are paying to see them perform they are not the average run of the mill player.

What is the pay for a coach at div 3? What is the cost of a ticket? Where is the T.V. contract?

Oh that's right their isn't one.
That's because the purpose of college isn't these athletes.  It's education.  Sure, the colleges are getting money off of these athletes.  But it's not like that money goes nowhere; it goes to fund other sports for just as good athletes who are just playing in the wrong sport to get nationally recognized at the collegiate level.  Those athletes are not your average run-of-the-mill players.  And yet, under your system, they would get nothing, even if they are on a higher level than a football player.

The issue is that these athletes are forced to go to these collegiate institutions because otherwise, they can't get into the NFL/other professional sport.  This is why the MLB is the best model.  Allow the athletes to go to college to expand their game/get an education OR allow them to go straight into the minor leagues.  It's a great system.  Meanwhile, the NFL and NBA force athletes to go to college for a year+.  The question is why?

6/8/2011 4:09 PM
Posted by onside on 6/8/2011 4:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rmancil on 6/8/2011 4:00:00 PM (view original):

Why do you keep pulling these completely irrelevent comparisions out?  A professional (key word here) actor is way different than a student-athlete.  If you think that's the case, why don't high schools pay their top athletes, or are you saying they should do that too?  Where do you draw the line?  That's the issue here. 

College's main purpose is for EDUCATION.  Sure, people go there to excel at athletics more than the educational value.  But, if you ask any person on the street what the purpose of college is, it is education, not athletics.  I can understand the argument of starting a minor-league system similar to baseball or allowing high schoolers to go straight to the pros.  That makes sense. But paying athletes at the collegiate level is not the answer.  Do the smart whiz kids that help give the university their high status and academic reputation get paid for attending the university?  Nope.  Neither should the athletes.
The players who are recruited to play major div 1 a football are recruited for their football playing ability period. They are not recruited for their ability to debate foreign affairs many would struggle winning a 2 grade spelling bee. 

Education is the focus of university's it isn't the focus of most major universities football programs most of their scholarship athletes never graduate with any meaning full degree.

Major div 1 a football is about winning football games and making$$$.
6/8/2011 4:10 PM
Let's say that those people that believe college athletes should receive pay get their way. How does this pay scale work exactly? Do only the elite players get paid? Everyone? How about those non-revenue making sports.... do those players get paid too? They work just as hard, have the same restrictions, win and lose national championships. How much of this pie gets passed out to whom?
Most universities are in financial turmoil. Many are dropping sports, making cutbacks and/or increasing tuition fees. So exactly from where do you all suggest the school's get the money to pay its athletes? The money will have to be taken away from where it is going now. Should they cut down the football budget? Pay coaches less or even cut some out altogether? Maybe reducing the medical services and sending any injured players off to the local emergency clinic? Less scholarships? Cut some more sports? Eliminate any funds that go to educational budgets?
I dont understand where this misconception of a bunch of fat rich men reaping all sorts of revenue from college football originated. Running a D! football program costs a small fortune. Any excess goes to help fund many other aspects of the university.
6/8/2011 4:40 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...12 Next ▸
Who is this clown? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.