Broncos - Ware's the defense? Topic

You are correct sir.  It's like beating your head on a wall with that guy.
1/25/2012 11:25 AM
Dictionaries have too many words for jtpops.    I think he must have read a comic strip that said "I'm content but not satisfied".
1/25/2012 11:28 AM
I guess I must write the dictionary and thesauruses too, right?

Main Entry: content

Part of Speech: adjective

Definition: happy, agreeable

Synonyms: appeased, at ease, can't complain, comfortable, complacent, contented, fulfilled, gratified, pleased as punch, satisfied, smug, tickled pink, willing

Antonyms: depressed, disagreeable, discontent, dissatisfied, disturbed, needy, unhappy, upset, wanting

1/25/2012 11:51 AM
The idea that you can't be happy and content with what you have, but still strive for more is absolutely ridiculous.
1/25/2012 11:54 AM

Maybe look up Synonym now.

1/25/2012 12:01 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/25/2012 11:14:00 AM (view original):
Yeah but you can't let a dumbass like jtpops play the synonym card.   He'll think he's right no matter what now.
Nailed it.
1/25/2012 12:09 PM
Synonym:

noun
1. a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language, as joyful, elated, glad.  A dictionary of synonyms and their opposites, or antonyms, such as Thesaurus.com is called a thesaurus.
2. a word or expression accepted as another name for something

Anymore questions, chief?

I'd remind you that I have an English degree, but I don't want to embarrass you. Or I'll hear more about how this is the Internet and you're a Rhodes Scholar
1/25/2012 12:13 PM
Here, maybe you'll take it from good ol' Mr. Oxford, since he has a bit of a reputation for this sort of thing:

Content: willing to accept something, satisfied, accept as adequate despite wanting more or better
1/25/2012 12:21 PM
Posted by The Taint on 1/25/2012 12:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/25/2012 11:14:00 AM (view original):
Yeah but you can't let a dumbass like jtpops play the synonym card.   He'll think he's right no matter what now.
Nailed it.
^^^^^^^^^
1/25/2012 12:31 PM
Main Entry: 2content
Function: transitive verb
Date: 15th century
1 : to appease the desires of
2 : to limit (oneself) in requirements, desires, or actions

Mister mirriam-Websters take in the word.
1/25/2012 12:42 PM
The funny thing is neither of those definitions states that "wanting more" is a prohibited characteristic of being content.

"to accept as adequate despite wanting more or better" is virtually the same thing as "limiting oneself in requirements, desires or actions". You want more, but you accept that you can't have it right now, and you're content that what you have is adequate.

I'm not arguing your definition of content - as I've been saying this entire time, it does not exclude the possibility of also wanting something better/more. It means you accept where you're at and see it as adequate. Period.
1/25/2012 12:48 PM
If you want that in sports terminology - I want the Orioles to win the World Series this season, but I accept that's not likely to happen, so I'll be content with a .500 finish/WC contention into September. Being pleased/content with a particular result means you have realistic expectations/analysis of your current situation - it doesn't mean you don't want more.
1/25/2012 12:51 PM
Allen is headed to Oakland, meaning the Broncos are on their 7th DC in 7 seasons. Not a great way to build a foundation.

I'd love to see them bring in Del Rio on a 2-3 year deal.

1/25/2012 1:38 PM
"or nearly the same meaning" just zips right over your head, no?
1/25/2012 2:18 PM
"these two things have completely different meanings"..."these two things have nearly the same meaning".

I'm guessing the difference in those two statements zips right over your head? Synonyms are interchangeable. Meaning they can be used in the same context as each other.

And for the 5000th time - content and wanting more are not mutually exclusive.
1/25/2012 2:28 PM
◂ Prev 1...181|182|183|184|185...190 Next ▸
Broncos - Ware's the defense? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.