© OFFICIAL 2012 CUBS THREAD Topic

...and sandberg? He's done everything they asked of him, and deserves a shot....
11/2/2011 8:15 PM
Not if Theo doesn't want him.  I trust Theo and am all for leaving stupid sentimentality at the door for once.  We don't need a cutesy hire. 
11/2/2011 9:36 PM
yeah.....one cutesy hire per franchise per year

Cubs have already hit the limit....
11/2/2011 9:43 PM
3!
11/2/2011 10:00 PM
Posted by winnetka1 on 11/2/2011 6:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mudbone1969 on 11/2/2011 5:46:00 PM (view original):
It's refreshing to have a guy running this team actually being in charge of what he wants to do.  Theo was an exceptional hire.
I hope you are right Muddy. I don't like Theo Epstein. It was stupid to fire Quade. Cubs won't be there next year so why not keep the guy, at least he was on the cheap. Now you are going to pay the guy anyway and pay some other manager to come in and do basically what Quade would have done anyway. Why waste the $$$$. Not giving Sandberg a chance ****** me off too. 12 years ago before Epstein got his GM job HE didn't have experience (GM, Assistant GM).

I don't mind if I have to eat my words if it means the Cubs win.
Why keep Quade just to finish his contract if you know he's not going to be the guy to lead the team after 2012.  Get the guy you want now and let him deal with the vets and new guys coming up.  Have continuity from the start instead of starting from scratch.

2012 will see some young guys coming up and it's best for them to have a manager that is going to be there from day one. 
11/2/2011 10:11 PM
so i read one post and this winnetka fellow is clearly retarded amirite
11/3/2011 12:09 AM
Clearly.

Not seeing that paying Quade $1M not to manage is a good thing, (as evidenced by his handling of the team in September) is beyond belief . Pena (for one) should have been benched for the callups to have playing time, but Pena was near ever present (89PA, in 22G in Sept). That alone should have been enough to seal his fate, he can only have been managing for his own record, not for the good of the team in the long run, when the season was clearly over for the cubs.
11/3/2011 5:28 AM
"All Aboard"...The Theo Express to Cooperstown is ready to leave the station..." All Aboard. (Please take a copy of Theo's sports cliche book, bring it with you.) "Here we go...Oh YEAH!)...please help yourself to the Kool-Aide
11/3/2011 9:14 AM (edited)
retarded may be harsh....idiot savant, perhaps?

it will take a long time for Chicago folk to see Ego for what he is....this is the success starved town that believed REX GROSSMAN IS THE GREATEST QB EVAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for a good, long time

he is not walking into a ready to win a championship situation like he did in Boston......however, he does go to a place where even a sniff of winning will feel like a birthday reach around

he'll get to be in a place where it goes unquestioned by fans how wonderful and brilliant he is (a treat that was about to stop in Boston--hence bailing on town), and Cubs fans get 83-87 wins a year to feel good about
11/3/2011 9:30 AM
Epstein on Quade:

"His passion, knowledge of the game, commitment and integrity stood out immediately," Epstein said
"Mike is clearly an asset to any organization and any Major League staff..."

So is Theo full of ****??  (Now where is that damn sports cliche book?? I need to look this **** up....)
11/3/2011 9:36 AM
that's Courtesy 101....you don't bury a guy on the way out the door....unless you own the Boston Red SOx
11/3/2011 9:39 AM
he spent 7 hours interviewing him....7 hours. Could have saved a lot of time by listening to some of the guys on this thread....oh well.

I don't care that Quade ISN'T the manager...2012 is rebuilding. I don't see that it matters much who the manager is while rebuilding. Every newspaper, radio and TV reporter in Chicagoland is CONVINCED that Epstein is THE Savior. I'm surrounded by a cult following, just getting sick of it is all. I've been a Cub fan for 52 of my 57 years so I have heard it all, seen it all and it is tiresome to go through all the off season hype about how good we will be next year or the year after or whatever. Build a good team, win some games and i'll buy a ticket on the Theo Express, but until then count me OUT.
11/3/2011 10:59 AM
Really?  You're trying to build your franchise for the future and you don't think the guy who'll be managing some of these same players, most likely young players, in the future matters?

That is retarded.   When you're trying to build something, you want the policies of the future expressed from the beginning. 
11/3/2011 11:25 AM
My position is indefensible. I know that Quade's fate was sealed when Hendry got fired. He'd end up (at best) being a lame duck manager in 2012. I understand Epstein would want to put all his people in as soon as possible. Perhaps i am colored with too much anti-Theo bias...whatever.... guess we'll wait and see. 
11/3/2011 11:54 AM
nobody is considered more anti-Ego than this guy, but it makes perfect sense that he would want to get his guy in place right away
11/3/2011 12:21 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14...21 Next ▸
© OFFICIAL 2012 CUBS THREAD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.