© OFFICIAL 2012 CUBS THREAD Topic

The Red Sox owners are coming off as a bigger group of douchebags than the Yankees.

www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-cubs/news/-

10/15/2011 11:33 AM
So Sux management isn't concerned with Theo's happiness?  Sounds like life. 
10/15/2011 12:55 PM
Peter Gammons is on WEEI right now. He said that everyone knows that the Cubs have a bottom 3 farm system and the fear of giving up the next Billy Williams is 'absurd.' A top 5 Cubs prospect would slot in at about 25 in the Boston system. He also said that the tedious process is because the people negotiating for the Cubs have no idea who any of their prospects are or what they're worth.

That's the kind of hard-hitting analysis Boston is hearing.

No wonder Boston fans are so f-ed up, with hard-hitting analysis like that.  Gammons should have hung it up years ago.
10/19/2011 1:03 PM
Back when he peed his pants on camera, on the field, when Boston won the WS?    That was the worst job of reporting I've ever seen.
10/19/2011 1:11 PM
that actually might have been the high point of his last decade.....
10/19/2011 2:32 PM
right now the sticking point is Trey McNutt....the Sox have set their sights, but Chicago wants no part of dealing him

they appear to be pushing Brett Jackson

originally, the Sox asked for Garza
10/19/2011 2:34 PM
I doubt they're pushing Brett Jackson. 
10/19/2011 4:51 PM
PUSHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/19/2011 5:14 PM
but, in truth, it is actually more like steering it away from pitching than it is offering up Jackson

as in....'OK, we won't do Jackson, but what about this other non-pitching prospect now that we've started talking about non-pitching prospects?'
10/19/2011 5:16 PM
Ricketts should stand his ground, offer cash and a low level minor league prospect or walk away.

Let the Red Sox pay Theo for not working in 2012; the Cubs then sign him for 2013 without giving up prospects or the $3.5M cancellation clause in his contract.
10/19/2011 5:45 PM

Compensation should be zero if Epstein is labeled “President of baseballs ops” as some / most speculate. Ricketts is no dummy. He contacted the MLB on what fair compensation should be, and he sticking to his guns on this.

Why would MLB support no compensation on this? Easy. Competetive balance. Whats to stop the Yankees / Red Sox from signing all the young Interms to long contracts and force smaller teams to trade a bunch of prospects to get them? Yanks would say “well look at what the Cubs gave up to the sox to get theo. We have that same right.”

Ricketts is clearly not giving in, from reports of Garza to McNutt. Expect this to play out for as long as Ricketts feels he has to to get a fair deal.

10/19/2011 6:11 PM
under contract is under contract...you can't let the Ego's of the world just jump ship because they've screwed up one situation and have a sucker waiting for them to screw up another one.....

there needs to be a reason the contract has some weight.....now, personally, I don't think a ML level player or top level prospect needs to be the bounty in this case, but I can't see just saying that nothing is the right price either
10/19/2011 6:25 PM
Forget all of this other stuff.  Remember the Glory Days!

Happy Birthday Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown!

He'd be 135 today...

10/19/2011 8:02 PM
Posted by edsortails on 10/19/2011 6:25:00 PM (view original):
under contract is under contract...you can't let the Ego's of the world just jump ship because they've screwed up one situation and have a sucker waiting for them to screw up another one.....

there needs to be a reason the contract has some weight.....now, personally, I don't think a ML level player or top level prospect needs to be the bounty in this case, but I can't see just saying that nothing is the right price either
Henry granted the Cubs permission to talk to Theo; he also said he wouldn't stand in the way of an employee getting a promotion with another team.

All he had to do was say no when Ricketts asked to talk with Epstein.
10/20/2011 12:10 PM (edited)
Permission to talk doesn't void a contract.
10/20/2011 6:52 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...21 Next ▸
© OFFICIAL 2012 CUBS THREAD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.