© OFFICIAL 2012 RED SOX REDEMPTION THREAD © Topic

From the way Ortiz talks, I'd be shocked if he came back to Boston
8/25/2012 4:09 PM
Sign Bill Lee, he's available and still can go 9!
8/25/2012 5:35 PM
I J Hamilton is Josh Hamilton from Texas, I'll have to laugh at "offer him a huge 1 year deal".

That's retarded.   Why on earth would he do that?
8/25/2012 6:55 PM
What are you talking about Mike?  Big time free agents always walk away from massive multi-year guaranteed deals in favor of one year deals that pay them marginally more in that one year than they would have made in the first year of the big deal...
8/25/2012 8:27 PM
I could see him taking a huge one year offer from the Rangers if the only other choice was a huge multi-year offer from the Sux
8/25/2012 9:33 PM
The dumbdumb circus continues!!!

Aceves has been suspended three games for conduct detrimental to the team, WEEI.com's Alex Speier reports.

After Andrew Bailey received the save opportunity in Friday's win over the Royals, Aceves reportedly slammed the door in manager Bobby Valentine's office and stormed out of the room. Not only does Bailey now figure to receive the save chances during Aceves' suspension, but it also looks like he'll keep the gig going forward in light of Aceves' unbecoming antics.

I am total love with the 2012 Red Sox!
8/25/2012 9:55 PM
I didnt say josh would take the deal....i'd just like to see it happen.....its not gonna happen.....but king felix......
8/25/2012 11:44 PM
Posted by raucous on 8/25/2012 9:55:00 PM (view original):
The dumbdumb circus continues!!!

Aceves has been suspended three games for conduct detrimental to the team, WEEI.com's Alex Speier reports.

After Andrew Bailey received the save opportunity in Friday's win over the Royals, Aceves reportedly slammed the door in manager Bobby Valentine's office and stormed out of the room. Not only does Bailey now figure to receive the save chances during Aceves' suspension, but it also looks like he'll keep the gig going forward in light of Aceves' unbecoming antics.

I am total love with the 2012 Red Sox!
It's too bad they didn't have the balls to make the same example of Gonzalez, Pedroia and Youk. Now the little troll is the only one of the three left.

I feel bad for Loney - gone from a playoff team to the biggest side show in MLB.
8/25/2012 11:48 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/25/2012 6:55:00 PM (view original):
I J Hamilton is Josh Hamilton from Texas, I'll have to laugh at "offer him a huge 1 year deal".

That's retarded.   Why on earth would he do that?
I am surprised I havent read yet some Boston reasoning like the chance to play at Fenway or the history for taking a 1 year contract there
8/26/2012 3:00 PM
I assume most understand that it's retarded to even suggest it.
8/26/2012 3:14 PM
well, ya know, if they havent told you enough, that this season is the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park......that's only touted every commercial break on NESN or WEEI
8/26/2012 3:14 PM

JERRY REMY CAN LICK ME VILSACK

8/26/2012 3:16 PM

American Owners Fire a Liverpool Legend

By JACK BELL

Published: May 16, 2012

It took a group of Colonial Americans to depose King Kenny, the resident regent of the Liverpool Football Club.

Kenny Dalglish, the former Liverpool star who returned to manage the club last year after two decades away from the team, was dismissed on Wednesday after traveling to Boston to meet with the team’s owners — John Henry and Tom Werner, who also own the Boston Red Sox.

Long revered in Liverpool, where he is known as King Kenny, Dalglish was unable to propel Liverpool back toward the top of the English Premier League, although the club did capture the second-tier Carling Cup, its first trophy of any kind in eight years.

Dalglish had replaced Roy Hodgson (now the coach of England’s national team) in January 2011 and was given a three-year contract. But Dalglish didn’t get to fulfill it, taking the fall for helping oversee the investment of about $175 million in player investments that produced little in return.

Just last month, Henry and Werner dismissed Damien Comolli, Liverpool’s director of soccer. Now Dalglish is gone, too, mirroring what occurred in Boston last fall, when, in the wake of a September collapse by the Red Sox, the team’s general manager, Theo Epstein, and the manager, Terry Francona, departed the team.

In a statement on Wednesday, Henry lauded Dalglish, saying: “Kenny will always be more than a championship-winning manager, more than a championship-winning star player. He is in many ways the heart and soul of the club. He personifies everything that is good about Liverpool football club.”

There was a perception that Dalglish, a star in his playing days for Liverpool and his native Scotland, did not cast a wide-enough net in investing in new players, limiting himself for the most part to players with British roots.

In particular, his judgment was questioned for his role in the club’s record signing — the $56 million transfer fee paid to Newcastle United to acquire Andy Carroll, who then scored only four goals in Premier League play this past season.

Dalglish’s image also suffered from the way he and the team handled a widely publicized incident involving the team’s best player, Luis Suarez of Uruguay. Suarez was accused of directing racial taunts at Manchester United’s Patrice Evra, who is black, and was later suspended for eight games.

Dalglish and his players initially backed Suarez, even wearing T-shirts with Suarez’s image in a show of solidarity. But that support drew criticism in the world of soccer, and there was more consternation after Suarez later refused to shake Ezra’s hand in a pregame ritual.

Suarez later apologized for the handshake snub, an act of contrition that Henry and Werner — and not Dalglish — were credited with orchestrating.

Werner said Wednesday that the next task was finding a replacement for Dalglish.

8/26/2012 5:00 PM (edited)

Suarez extends contract

August 7, 2012

By ESPN staff

Liverpool have now officially announced striker Luis Suarez has signed a long-term contract extension.

The deal brings an end to speculation that Suarez, 25, could call time on Liverpool career this summer, with Juventus having been strongly linked with a bid.

"To sign a new contract with Liverpool is unbelievable for me because I am so happy here at both the club and also in the city," Suarez told the club's official website. "That is important for me and I am very happy with my new contract.

"When you are a kid, everybody wants to play for Liverpool. I am here now and it is a dream for me, and now I am a Liverpool fan. I am happy off the pitch because the people of Liverpool are good with me and my family. I try my best on the pitch and when you are happy off the pitch, you are happy on the pitch.

"I want to say thank you to the fans because they are our 12th player. The supporters of Liverpool are unbelievable. Five or six years ago I watched on TV the stadium and the club, and now I play here and the supporters have helped me. That's very important for me."

Suarez has been involved in controversy during his time at Anfield and was suspended for nine consecutive matches in the 2011-12 season, but he has netted 21 goals in 52 games since joining from Ajax for £22 million in January 2011 and has been one of the Premier League's most impressive players.

New Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers views Suarez, who has recently returned to the club following Olympic duty with Uruguay, as a key player in his bid to revolutionise the team's approach.

Rodgers said: "I'm delighted. When you have the opportunity to work with world-class players it's fantastic. There were certainly a few clubs who were interested in him but over the off-season he and I communicated well - and he's committed himself for the long term here now.

"He's really looking forward to playing in this way of working. As a manager and for the supporters, I'm delighted because I know how important he is for them."

Liverpool have not announced the length of the deal but it is believed to run until 2016.

8/26/2012 5:00 PM
Werner and Henry are completely classless people.  There is not enough bad things that should happen to them and their toys.
8/26/2012 5:02 PM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16|17...20 Next ▸
© OFFICIAL 2012 RED SOX REDEMPTION THREAD © Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.